- LATIN AMERICA
- MIDDLE EAST
- United Kingdom
- United States
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- iHaveNet.com: NFL Football
NFL 2014: What To Look For Week 10
Here's what to look for during Week 10 of the NFL 2014 Regular Season
Big Ben Roethlisberger
Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger enters Week 10 after becoming the first player in NFL history with six touchdown passes in back-to-back games, joining Pro Football Hall of Famer Y.A. TITTLE (1962) as the only players with multiple six-touchdown games in one season.
In his previous three games, Roethlisberger has thrown 14 touchdowns, tied for the second-most touchdown passes through any three-week span in a single season in NFL history (PEYTON MANNING, 15 touchdowns in 2004).
With four touchdowns this week against the New York Jets, Roethlisberger would set the all-time record for the most touchdown passes in any three-week span in a single season.
The players with the most touchdown passes in a three-week span in a single season in NFL history:
|Source: NFL |
*Includes Roethlisberger in previous three weeks (Weeks 7-9, 2014)
**Current two week span
|Many tied* with 14|
The NFL returns to London as the DALLAS COWBOYS take on the JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS in the third and final installment of the league's 2014 International Series at Wembley Stadium. The contest marks Jacksonville's second visit to London for a regular-season game in as many years, while Dallas will play its first regular-season game outside of the United States.
The 10 regular-season games played at Wembley Stadium:
The 10 regular-season games played at Wembley Stadium:
|Oct 26, 2014||8||Detroit Lions||Atlanta Falcons||22-21|
|Sep 28, 2014||4||Miami Dolphins||Oakland Raiders||38-14|
|Oct 27, 2013||8||San Francisco 49ers||Jacksonville Jaguars||42-10|
|Sep 29, 2013||4||Minnesota Vikings||Pittsburgh Steelers||34-27|
|Oct 28, 2012||8||New England Patriots||St. Louis Rams||45-7|
|Oct 23, 2011||7||Chicago Bears||Tampa Bay Buccaneers||24-18|
|Oct 31, 2010||8||San Francisco 49ers||Denver Broncos||24-16|
|Oct 25, 2009||7||New England Patriots||Tampa Bay Buccaneers||35-7|
|Oct 26, 2008||8||New Orleans Saints||San Diego Chargers||37-32|
|Oct 28, 2007||8||New York Giants||Miami Dolphins||13-10|
It's How You Finish
In every NFL season since 1987, at least one team with a .500 or worse record through eight games has advanced to the postseason. Last year, two such teams -- Philadelphia (3-5) and San Diego (4-4) -- accomplished the feat.
Over the past six seasons, 14 teams started 4-4 or worse and rebounded to qualify for the playoffs. Seven of those teams, including the 2013 San Diego Chargers, won at least one playoff game.
The teams in the past six seasons (2008-2013) that started the season at .500 or below through eight games and earned a playoff berth:
|2008||Indianapolis||4-4||12-4||Advanced to Wild Card|
|2008||Miami||4-4||11-5||Advanced to Wild Card|
|2008||Minnesota||4-4||10-6||Advanced to Wild Card|
|2008||San Diego||3-5||8-8||Advanced to Divisional|
|2009||Green Bay||4-4||11-5||Advanced to Wild Card|
|2009||N.Y. Jets||4-4||9-7||Advanced to AFC Championship|
|2009||Baltimore||4-4||9-7||Advanced to Divisional|
|2010||Seattle||4-4||7-9||Advanced to Divisional|
|2011||Denver||3-5||8-8||Advanced to Divisional|
|2012||Cincinnati||3-5||10-6||Advanced to Wild Card|
|2012||Seattle||4-4||11-5||Advanced to Divisional|
|2012||Washington||3-5||10-6||Advanced to Wild Card|
|2013||Philadelphia||3-5||10-6||Advanced to Wild Card|
|2013||San Diego||4-4||9-7||Advanced to Divisional|
Three teams -- Cleveland (5-3; 4-12 in 2013), Houston (4-5; 2-14 in 2013) and Washington (3-6; 3-13 in 2013) -- have already matched or surpassed their win totals from last season.
In Week 10, two more teams -- Buffalo (5-3; 6-10 in 2013) and Detroit (6-2; 7-9 in 2013) -- can also match their 2013 win totals.
Looking ahead to Week 11, the Minnesota Vikings (4-5; 5-10-1 in 2013), who have a bye this week, can also join the list.
The teams that have matched or exceeded their 2013 win totals:
|Team||2013 Record||2014 Record||Week 10 Opponent|
|Source: NFL *Need Week 10 win to match 2013 win total|
|Buffalo*||6-10||5-3||vs. Kansas City|
NFL passers have been historically prolific and proficient in 2014. At the season's midpoint, the average of 487.8 net passing yards per game is on pace for the highest average of any season in NFL history (471.2 in 2013).
The league-wide passer rating of 91.2 is also on pace for an all-time high (86.0 in 2013), and the average number of touchdown passes per game, 3.43, is on pace for a new all-time record (3.27 in 1948).
A look at how the 2014 season is trending historically in three key passing categories -- rating, yards per game and touchdowns per game:
|Season||Rating||Season||Yards / Game||Season||TD Passes / Game|
|Source: NFL *Through Week 9|
Denver linebacker VON MILLER (.92) and defensive end DE MARCUS WARE (.84) rank second and fourth, respectively, in sacks per game in since 1982 (minimum 40 games played).
The players with the most sacks per game since 1982 (minimum 40 games played):
|Player||Games||Sacks||Sacks / Game|
In their first season as teammates, Miller has posted nine sacks and Ware has eight sacks, becoming just the eighth pair of teammates to post at least eight sacks each through their team's first eight games.
If Miller and Ware each reach 10 sacks on Sunday at Oakland, they will become just the third pair of teammates to post 10 sacks each through the first nine games of a season since 1982.
The teammates to record 10 sacks each through the first nine games of a season:
|Source: NFL *Through eight games|
|2000||Tampa Bay||Warren Sapp||10.5||Marcus Jones||10|
|1998||49ers||Chris Doleman||11||Roy Barker||10|
|2014||Denver||Von Miller*||9||DeMarcus Ware*||8|
- NFL Teams Prepare For Final Stretch
- Arizona's No. 3 QB draws No. 1 Seahawks 'D'
- Left for Dead, Seahawks Defense on Historic Run
- Can Johnny Football Succeed in the NFL?
- Which NFL Coaches Will Be Fired After This Season?
- NFL Players Under Most Pressure in Week 16
- Will Marcus Mariota Make an Easy Transition to the NFL?
- Can Mark Sanchez Lead Philadelphia to the Postseason?
- Larry Fitzgerald on Facing Richard Sherman: 'It's All Business Between the Lines'
- Who to Start and Sit in Fantasy Football Week 16
- Pros and Cons of the NFL's Expanded Playoffs
- Playoff Scenarios for Week 16
- NFC Playoff Picture With Two Weeks To Go
- AFC Playoff Picture With Two Weeks To Go
- Week 15 Preview: 24 Teams in Contention
- Suffocating Seahawks 'D' Rising at Right Time
- Week 15 TNF Preview: Cardinals vs Rams
- AFC Playoff Picture - Week 15
- NFC Playoff Picture - Week 15
- NFL Power Rankings Week 15
- What to Expect from Johnny Manziel's First Start
- Goodell Not Worried About His Legacy
- Making Sense of the AFC North
- NFL Season Enters Final Quarter
- Thursday Night Preview: Cowboys vs Bears
- December Playoff Push
- AFC Teams with Playoffs in Sight
- What to Look For Week 14
- Could the Cowboys Miss the Playoffs?
- Are Cardinals in Danger of Missing the Playoffs?
- Which QB Gives Browns the Best Playoff Shot?
- Why the Seattle Seahawks Will Win the NFC West
- NFL Head Coaches Are Worth More Than You Think
- Patriots vs Packers Preview
- Broncos vs Chiefs Preview
- Best of the AFC North Football
- Is the NFL Playoff System Broken?
- Will the NFL Do Anything About Richard Sherman Calling Out the League?
- Is Rex Ryan's Future in Coaching or Television?
- Thanksgiving Football Preview
- Record 16 Teams With at Least Seven Wins
- AFC Playoff Picture - Week 13
- NFC Playoff Picture - Week 13
- Should Gruden Have Benched RGIII?
- Who's the NFL's Top Four Teams?
- Odell Beckham Jr. Makes Catch of the Year
- The Greatest Catch I Ever Saw
- 21 Teams Fighting for Playoff Spots as NFL Enters Week 12
- Cardinals On Top Of NFL Standings
- Battle For Tightly-Contested AFC North Continues
- Slice It, Dice It, Seahawks Chances are Grim
- What To Look For Week 12
- Is Tom Coughlin's Job on the Line?
- Is Jamaal Charles the Best Running Back in the NFL?
- Seahawks Playing for Their Postseason Lives vs Cardinals
- 3 Trades to Make to Prepare for Fantasy Football Playoffs
- Will Gruden Coach Washington Next Season?
- Adrian Peterson Suspended for the Season Without Pay, Appealing Suspension
- Eli Manning Should Have Been Benched
- Does RGIII Have a Future with Washington?
- Federal Drug Agents Launch Surprise Inspections on NFL Teams
- Playoff Races Heating Up as NFL Season Rolls On
- AFC Rookies Making an Impact
- NFC Rookies Making Their Mark
- What To Look For Week 11
- 'Pro Football Now' Preview
- What If Tom Brady and Peyton Manning Had Switched Teams?
- Brady vs Luck: Who Has the Upper Hand in Sunday Night Showdown?
- Could the Green Bay Packers Miss the Playoffs?
- NFL Power Rankings for Week 11
- Inside the NFL's Replay Command Center
- Are the Cardinals Still Contenders Without Carson Palmer?
- Brady, Luck Faceoff and Other NFL Week 11 Games to Watch
- NFL Enters Second Half As Playoffs Race Intensifies
- Week 10 Thursday Night Football Preview
- What To Look For Week 10
- AFC Midseason Projections
- NFC Midseason Projections
- Teams Plot Ways to Beat Peyton Manning
- Fantasy Football Trades to Make Before Deadline
- Most Important Games of the Second Half of NFL Season
- Elite NFL Players on the Decline
- Can Colts Make Super Bowl Run on Passing Game Alone?
- 7-1 Means the Arizona Cardinals Are the NFL's Best, Right?
- Are the New England Patriots Now the AFC's Top Team?
- Are the San Francisco 49ers Done?
- Who to Play in Fantasy Football's Week 10
- Why the Cowboys Are Fake Pretenders
- Week 9: Great Slate in Store
- NFL Week 9 Games to Watch
- Manning vs Brady XVI
- Impact Rookie Receivers
- What To Look For Week 9
- New York Jets Will Clean House
- Why Rex Ryan Will Be Fired
- Was Jay Cutler a Mistake?
- NFL Week 8 Preview
- Showdown in the Desert: Eagles (5-1) Visit Cardinals (5-1)
- Red-Zone Efficiency Key To Victory
- What To Look For Week 8
- Steelers Score 3 TDs in 73 Seconds vs Texans
- Why Seattle Can Make the Playoffs
- Peyton Manning Breaks Career TD Passes Record
- Bengals, Browns, Chargers: Are They Who We Thought They Were?
- Matt Ryan & Joe Flacco
- Philip Rivers' Record-Breaking Streak
- Best 2-Minute QB's Without a Super Bowl Win
- Lions' Defense Sets Team Apart This Year
- Who Is the Dirtiest Player in the NFL?
- Matthew Stafford Approaches Dan Marino Record
- Why Cardinals Will Dethrone Seahawks in NFC West
- Are the Cowboys the NFL's Best Team?
- Which Season-Ending Injury Hurts the Most?
- Most NFL Fans Think Goodell Should Keep Job
- The Most Underutilized NFL Players
- Tight Ends On Record-Breaking Pace
- A Look at Aaron Rodgers
- NFL's Best Young QB
- The Great Football Debate
- Most Likely to Go 0-16
- Rex Ryan's Return Unlikely
- Will 49ers Part Ways with Jim Harbaugh?
- De Marco Murray Rushing Into The Record Books
- What's Wrong with the Patriots?
- How Many Turnovers Are Too Many for a Young QB?
- Why Philip Rivers Is the MVP Frontrunner
- Are the Cowboys the Best Team in the NFC East?
- QBs Off to Efficient Start
- Cardinals & Eagles Flying High
- Will New NFL Conduct Policy Exact Real Change?
- Special Teams Game-Changers
- NFL Comeback Wins
- Goodell Digs Himself Deeper
- Did Roger Goodell's Press Conference Do Enough?
- Death Of The NFL?
- Is This the End for RGIII?
- Emmitt Smith on the Running Back's Changing Role
- Who Will Win Super Bowl XLIX
- Super Bowl Follow-Ups
- Best NFL Records, Past 10 Years
Article: Copyright ©
NFL 2014 - What To Look For Week 10