- LATIN AMERICA
- MIDDLE EAST
- United Kingdom
- United States
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- iHaveNet.com: NFL Football
NFL 2014: QBs Off to Historically Efficient Start
2013 was considered by many to be the "Year of the Quarterback." 2014 is off to a good start as well.
Through Week 3, the league-wide passer rating is 90.6, on pace to be the highest of any season in NFL history. The mark is also the highest of any NFL season through three weeks.
The NFL seasons with the highest league-wide passer rating:
|Through Week 3||Full Season|
|Season||Passer Rating||Season||Passer Rating|
NFL quarterbacks have been particularly effective at avoiding interceptions in 2014, which has helped fuel the record passer rating.
Through Week 3, the league-wide interception percentage is 2.15 percent, the lowest ever at this point in a season and on pace to be the best mark in NFL history for a full year.
"It's huge to not have negative plays -- especially in the passing game," says Cincinnati quarterback Andy Dalton, who has led the Bengals to a 3-0 start and thrown just one interception in 84 attempts in 2014. "Not giving the other team the ball, it's been a thing we've really prided ourselves on. That's one of our top goals."
The NFL seasons with the lowest league-wide interception percentage:
|Through Week 3||Full Season|
|Season||INT Pct||Season||INT Pct|
Teams that avoid interceptions have translated that efficiency into wins. In Week 2 of this season, 15 of the 16 winning teams threw no interceptions, tied for most such games of any week in NFL history (Week 13, 2011).
Since realignment in 2002, NFL teams have a record of 1,705-730-6 (.700) in games in which they threw no interceptions.
"It's all about the number of possessions," says NFL Network analyst and former head coach STEVE MARIUCCI about the importance of avoiding interceptions. "It's about possession time, clock time and the number of chances to score points. If you give the ball away three times a game, that's three opportunities out of 12 or 13 that you don't have a chance to score. Plus, you're providing the other team with a short field."
The NFL teams with the most games with no interceptions since 2002:
|Team||Games with 0 INTs||W-L-T||Pct.|
NFL Football News & Analysis [...]
Receive our NFL News & Analysis by email by subscribing here
NFL Super Bowl History
NFL Super Bowl History, Scores, Summaries & Super Bowl MVP Articles
NFL Football [...]
- Playoff Races Heating Up as NFL Season Rolls On
- AFC Rookies Making an Impact
- NFC Rookies Making Their Mark
- What To Look For Week 11
- 'Pro Football Now' Preview
- What If Tom Brady and Peyton Manning Had Switched Teams?
- Brady vs Luck: Who Has the Upper Hand in Sunday Night Showdown?
- Could the Green Bay Packers Miss the Playoffs?
- NFL Power Rankings for Week 11
- Inside the NFL's Replay Command Center
- Are the Cardinals Still Contenders Without Carson Palmer?
- Brady, Luck Faceoff and Other NFL Week 11 Games to Watch
- NFL Enters Second Half As Playoffs Race Intensifies
- Week 10 Thursday Night Football Preview
- What To Look For Week 10
- AFC Midseason Projections
- NFC Midseason Projections
- Teams Plot Ways to Beat Peyton Manning
- Fantasy Football Trades to Make Before Deadline
- Most Important Games of the Second Half of NFL Season
- Elite NFL Players on the Decline
- Can Colts Make Super Bowl Run on Passing Game Alone?
- 7-1 Means the Arizona Cardinals Are the NFL's Best, Right?
- Are the New England Patriots Now the AFC's Top Team?
- Are the San Francisco 49ers Done?
- Who to Play in Fantasy Football's Week 10
- Why the Cowboys Are Fake Pretenders
- Week 9: Great Slate in Store
- NFL Week 9 Games to Watch
- Manning vs Brady XVI
- Impact Rookie Receivers
- What To Look For Week 9
- New York Jets Will Clean House
- Why Rex Ryan Will Be Fired
- Was Jay Cutler a Mistake?
- NFL Week 8 Preview
- Showdown in the Desert: Eagles (5-1) Visit Cardinals (5-1)
- Red-Zone Efficiency Key To Victory
- What To Look For Week 8
- Steelers Score 3 TDs in 73 Seconds vs Texans
- Why Seattle Can Make the Playoffs
- Peyton Manning Breaks Career TD Passes Record
- Bengals, Browns, Chargers: Are They Who We Thought They Were?
- NFL Week 7 Preview
- Matt Ryan & Joe Flacco
- Philip Rivers' Record-Breaking Streak
- What To Look For Week 7
- Best 2-Minute QB's Without a Super Bowl Win
- NFL Games to Watch Week 7
- Lions' Defense Sets Team Apart This Year
- Who Is the Dirtiest Player in the NFL?
- Matthew Stafford Approaches Dan Marino Record
- Why Cardinals Will Dethrone Seahawks in NFC West
- Are the Cowboys the NFL's Best Team?
- Which Season-Ending Injury Hurts the Most?
- NFL Week 6 Preview
- Do Giants or Eagles Have Edge?
- Most NFL Fans Think Goodell Should Keep Job
- The Most Underutilized NFL Players
- Tight Ends On Record-Breaking Pace
- A Look at Aaron Rodgers
- Week 6 What to Look For
- NFL's Best Young QB
- The Great Football Debate
- Most Likely to Go 0-16
- Rex Ryan's Return Unlikely
- Will 49ers Part Ways with Jim Harbaugh?
- NFL 2014: NFL Season Enters Second Quarter
- What To Look For Week 5
- Peyton Manning Approaches 500th TD Pass
- De Marco Murray Rushing Into The Record Books
- What's Wrong with the Patriots?
- NFL MVP at the Quarter Mark
- How Many Turnovers Are Too Many for a Young QB?
- Will Peyton Manning Solve the Cardinals Secondary?
- Why Philip Rivers Is the MVP Frontrunner
- Are the Cowboys the Best Team in the NFC East?
- NFL Approaches Quarter Mark
- Week 4 What to Look For
- QBs Off to Efficient Start
- Cardinals & Eagles Flying High
- NFL Predictions Turned Bad
- Will New NFL Conduct Policy Exact Real Change?
- Packers Need a Sense of Urgency
- Contenders and Pretenders
- Cardinals Rise, 49ers Demise
- Key Matchups On Tap For Week 3
- What To Look For Week 3
- Special Teams Game-Changers
- NFL Comeback Wins
- Goodell Digs Himself Deeper
- Did Roger Goodell's Press Conference Do Enough?
- Week 3 Under the Radar Games
- The 0-2 Panic Meter
- Top 5 QBs for Week 3
- Adrian Peterson Reinstated by Vikings
- Death Of The NFL?
- Is This the End for RGIII?
- RGIII's Future in Cousins' Hands
- Best & Worst from NFL Week 2
- Richard Sherman Not a 'Shutdown Corner'
- NFL 2014: Week 2 Preview
- NFL 2014: Week 2 What to Look For
- NFL 2014: 'Must Win' Games for Week 2
- NFL 2014: Chiefs vs Broncos Preview
- NFL 2014: NFL Calls on Ex-FBI Chief to Probe Ray Rice Matter
- NFL 2014: Pressure Building for Roger Goodell's Resignation
- NFL 2014: Week 2 Fantasy Football Picks
- NFL 2014 Week 1: Andrew Luck vs Peyton Manning
- NFL 2014 Week 1: Back To Football
- Quarterbacks Take Center Stage
- Is Derek Carr the Answer in Oakland?
- Fantasy Football Start 'Em, Sit 'Em Week 1
- Emmitt Smith on the Running Back's Changing Role
- Seahawks & Packers Kick Off NFL 2014 Season
- NFL 2014: Who Will Win Super Bowl XLIX
- NFL 2014: Seattle Seahawks - Super Follow-Ups
- Best NFL Records, Past 10 Years
- NFL Division Titles Up for Grabs
More NFL Football ...
Article: Copyright ©
NFL 2014 - QBs Off to Historically Efficient Start