- LATIN AMERICA
- MIDDLE EAST
- United Kingdom
- United States
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- iHaveNet.com: NFL Football
NFL 2014: AFC Rookies Making an Impact
Making the transition from college to pro can be challenging, but year after year, rookies across the NFL emerge as key contributors. In the AFC, this season's rookie contributions have come in all three phases of the game.
Buffalo Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkins, who leads AFC rookies with 617 receiving yards, has been a focal point of the Bills' offense, while three AFC rookie quarterbacks have taken over starting roles this season. Oakland's Derek Carr earned the job in training camp, while Jacksonville's Blake Bortles was tapped by the Jaguars in Week 4. Most recently, Tennessee's ZACH METTENBERGER took the reins for the Titans in Week 8.
On the defensive side of the ball, two rookie linebackers are leading their teams in tackles -- Baltimore's C.J. Mosley (87) and Buffalo's Preston Brown (67).
And Miami's Jarvis Landry, who earned a starting role at wide receiver in October for the Dolphins, leads the NFL in kickoff return average (32.0).
A closer look at some of the outstanding AFC rookies in 2014 (listed alphabetically):
QB Blake Bortles, Jacksonville
(Round 1, No. 3 overall, Central Florida)
Bortles leads NFL rookies with 1,921 passing yards and has eight touchdown passes. He aims to surpass BYRON LEFTWICH's club rookie passing records (2,819 yards and 14 touchdown passes in 2003) and has also been an effective runner, posting 204 rushing yards on 34 carries (6.0 average).
"A young me," says Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger of Bortles. "He can extend plays. He can stay in. He can throw the ball. He can throw on the run. He is an impressive-type young player."
LB Preston Brown, Buffalo
(Round 3, No. 73 overall, Louisville)
Brown has started seven of the nine games he's played at linebacker for the Bills' defense, which ranks third in the AFC (320.7 yards allowed per game). His athleticism and range has helped him lead the team with 67 tackles.
"I knew Preston was a heck of a player through our evaluation for the draft process," says Bills head coach Doug Marrone. "I didn't know his quickness or speed. I really didn't know about that until he came here."
WR Martavis Bryant, Pittsburgh
(Round 4, No. 118 overall, Clemson)
Bryant debuted for the Steelers in Week 7 and has made an immediate impact, catching 14 passes for 310 yards (22.1 average) and six touchdowns, the most scoring catches of any NFL player in his first four career games.
"The more he plays, the more Antonio Brown is going to benefit from it because he is a threat," says Roethlisberger of Bryant. "We'll just continue to develop him. I think the key is not to do too much, just keep him right where he is and keep making plays."
QB Derek Carr, Oakland
(Round 2, No. 36 overall, Fresno State)
Carr leads NFL rookies with 13 touchdown passes and ranks second with 1,903 yards. Last week, he surpassed Tom Flores franchise rookie records in both categories (1,738 yards and 12 touchdowns in 1960).
"They showed that they had some belief that he could be a down-the-field type player," says Seattle head coach PETE CARROLL of Carr after the Seahawks faced Oakland in the preseason. "We saw him move. We saw him throw the deep ball. We saw him throw some timing-quick stuff underneath. He showed a lot of poise."
WR-KR Jarvis Landry, Miami
(Round 2, No. 63 overall, Louisiana State)
Landry leads the NFL in kickoff return average (32.0), which is on pace to set a single-season franchise record. He's also been a steady contributor in the passing game since earning his starting spot in Week 6 at wide receiver and has posted 37 catches for 354 yards and two touchdowns this season.
"He's a football player," says Miami head coach Joe Philbin of Landry. "He's instinctive. I think our blocking unit has done a good job for him giving him opportunities. He's decisive with the ball in his hands. He doesn't hesitate a whole lot. He catches the ball and he makes a move. He's tough. He's done a good job."
LB Khalil Mack, Oakland
(Round 1, No. 5 overall, Buffalo)
Mack has started all nine games at linebacker for the Raiders, contributing 51 tackles, including 10 tackles for a loss, and one forced fumble.
"Very active," says Denver quarterback Peyton Manning of Mack. "He's a linebacker, he's a defensive end. He can run. He has the speed to cover guys. He definitely jumps out on film to you."
QB Zach Mettenberger, Tennessee
(Round 6, No. 178 overall, Louisiana State)
Mettenberger is approaching his third game as the starter for the Titans and has shown promise in his first two starts, completing 43 of 68 passes (63.2 percent) for 478 yards and three touchdowns for an 86.5 passer rating.
"We feel like this is an opportunity to see what Zach can do just like a number of our younger players that have already started to contribute," says Tennessee head coach Ken Whisenhunt. "No question he's a talented, young player, and maybe it'll give us a spark."
LB C.J. Mosley, Baltimore
(Round 1, No. 17 overall, Alabama)
Mosley, who has started every game for Baltimore, ranks second among all AFC players with 87 tackles. He is looking to become the first Ravens rookie to lead the team in tackles since Ray Lewis in 1996.
"He's everything we thought he was and hoped he would be," says Ravens defensive coordinator Dean Pees of Mosley. "A lot of rookies need to be taught how to study. Mosley is doing just fine with the mental side of the game."
WR Sammy Watkins, Buffalo
(Round 1, No. 4 overall, Clemson)
Watkins has emerged as the Bills' primary receiving option and leads AFC rookies with 617 receiving yards on 42 catches with five touchdowns, including three 100-yard performances this season.
"Watkins is an extremely explosive athlete," says Browns head coach Mike Pettine of Watkins. "He's a playmaker. To me what jumps off the tape is his passion. He loves football. He's a guy that I think you want to find a variety of ways to get the ball in his hands because he's special."
- NFL Teams Prepare For Final Stretch
- Arizona's No. 3 QB draws No. 1 Seahawks 'D'
- Left for Dead, Seahawks Defense on Historic Run
- Can Johnny Football Succeed in the NFL?
- Which NFL Coaches Will Be Fired After This Season?
- NFL Players Under Most Pressure in Week 16
- Will Marcus Mariota Make an Easy Transition to the NFL?
- Can Mark Sanchez Lead Philadelphia to the Postseason?
- Larry Fitzgerald on Facing Richard Sherman: 'It's All Business Between the Lines'
- Who to Start and Sit in Fantasy Football Week 16
- Pros and Cons of the NFL's Expanded Playoffs
- Playoff Scenarios for Week 16
- NFC Playoff Picture With Two Weeks To Go
- AFC Playoff Picture With Two Weeks To Go
- Week 15 Preview: 24 Teams in Contention
- Suffocating Seahawks 'D' Rising at Right Time
- Week 15 TNF Preview: Cardinals vs Rams
- AFC Playoff Picture - Week 15
- NFC Playoff Picture - Week 15
- NFL Power Rankings Week 15
- What to Expect from Johnny Manziel's First Start
- Goodell Not Worried About His Legacy
- Making Sense of the AFC North
- NFL Season Enters Final Quarter
- Thursday Night Preview: Cowboys vs Bears
- December Playoff Push
- AFC Teams with Playoffs in Sight
- What to Look For Week 14
- Could the Cowboys Miss the Playoffs?
- Are Cardinals in Danger of Missing the Playoffs?
- Which QB Gives Browns the Best Playoff Shot?
- Why the Seattle Seahawks Will Win the NFC West
- NFL Head Coaches Are Worth More Than You Think
- Patriots vs Packers Preview
- Broncos vs Chiefs Preview
- Best of the AFC North Football
- Is the NFL Playoff System Broken?
- Will the NFL Do Anything About Richard Sherman Calling Out the League?
- Is Rex Ryan's Future in Coaching or Television?
- Thanksgiving Football Preview
- Record 16 Teams With at Least Seven Wins
- AFC Playoff Picture - Week 13
- NFC Playoff Picture - Week 13
- Should Gruden Have Benched RGIII?
- Who's the NFL's Top Four Teams?
- Odell Beckham Jr. Makes Catch of the Year
- The Greatest Catch I Ever Saw
- 21 Teams Fighting for Playoff Spots as NFL Enters Week 12
- Cardinals On Top Of NFL Standings
- Battle For Tightly-Contested AFC North Continues
- Slice It, Dice It, Seahawks Chances are Grim
- What To Look For Week 12
- Is Tom Coughlin's Job on the Line?
- Is Jamaal Charles the Best Running Back in the NFL?
- Seahawks Playing for Their Postseason Lives vs Cardinals
- 3 Trades to Make to Prepare for Fantasy Football Playoffs
- Will Gruden Coach Washington Next Season?
- Adrian Peterson Suspended for the Season Without Pay, Appealing Suspension
- Eli Manning Should Have Been Benched
- Does RGIII Have a Future with Washington?
- Federal Drug Agents Launch Surprise Inspections on NFL Teams
- Playoff Races Heating Up as NFL Season Rolls On
- AFC Rookies Making an Impact
- NFC Rookies Making Their Mark
- What To Look For Week 11
- 'Pro Football Now' Preview
- What If Tom Brady and Peyton Manning Had Switched Teams?
- Brady vs Luck: Who Has the Upper Hand in Sunday Night Showdown?
- Could the Green Bay Packers Miss the Playoffs?
- NFL Power Rankings for Week 11
- Inside the NFL's Replay Command Center
- Are the Cardinals Still Contenders Without Carson Palmer?
- Brady, Luck Faceoff and Other NFL Week 11 Games to Watch
- NFL Enters Second Half As Playoffs Race Intensifies
- Week 10 Thursday Night Football Preview
- What To Look For Week 10
- AFC Midseason Projections
- NFC Midseason Projections
- Teams Plot Ways to Beat Peyton Manning
- Fantasy Football Trades to Make Before Deadline
- Most Important Games of the Second Half of NFL Season
- Elite NFL Players on the Decline
- Can Colts Make Super Bowl Run on Passing Game Alone?
- 7-1 Means the Arizona Cardinals Are the NFL's Best, Right?
- Are the New England Patriots Now the AFC's Top Team?
- Are the San Francisco 49ers Done?
- Who to Play in Fantasy Football's Week 10
- Why the Cowboys Are Fake Pretenders
- Manning vs Brady XVI
- Impact Rookie Receivers
- New York Jets Will Clean House
- Why Rex Ryan Will Be Fired
- Was Jay Cutler a Mistake?
- Showdown in the Desert: Eagles (5-1) Visit Cardinals (5-1)
- Red-Zone Efficiency Key To Victory
- Steelers Score 3 TDs in 73 Seconds vs Texans
- Why Seattle Can Make the Playoffs
- Peyton Manning Breaks Career TD Passes Record
- Bengals, Browns, Chargers: Are They Who We Thought They Were?
- Matt Ryan & Joe Flacco
- Philip Rivers' Record-Breaking Streak
- Best 2-Minute QB's Without a Super Bowl Win
- Lions' Defense Sets Team Apart This Year
- Who Is the Dirtiest Player in the NFL?
- Matthew Stafford Approaches Dan Marino Record
- Why Cardinals Will Dethrone Seahawks in NFC West
- Are the Cowboys the NFL's Best Team?
- Which Season-Ending Injury Hurts the Most?
- Most NFL Fans Think Goodell Should Keep Job
- The Most Underutilized NFL Players
- Tight Ends On Record-Breaking Pace
- A Look at Aaron Rodgers
- NFL's Best Young QB
- The Great Football Debate
- Most Likely to Go 0-16
- Rex Ryan's Return Unlikely
- Will 49ers Part Ways with Jim Harbaugh?
- De Marco Murray Rushing Into The Record Books
- What's Wrong with the Patriots?
- How Many Turnovers Are Too Many for a Young QB?
- Why Philip Rivers Is the MVP Frontrunner
- Are the Cowboys the Best Team in the NFC East?
- QBs Off to Efficient Start
- Cardinals & Eagles Flying High
- Will New NFL Conduct Policy Exact Real Change?
- Special Teams Game-Changers
- NFL Comeback Wins
- Goodell Digs Himself Deeper
- Did Roger Goodell's Press Conference Do Enough?
- Death Of The NFL?
- Is This the End for RGIII?
- Emmitt Smith on the Running Back's Changing Role
- Who Will Win Super Bowl XLIX
- Super Bowl Follow-Ups
- Best NFL Records, Past 10 Years
Article: Copyright ©