- iHaveNet.com: NFL Football
by NFL Reporter Dean Michaels
East Rutherford, NJ
After a 25-year coaching career in the NFL, New York Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride is expected to announce his retirement.
Gilbride opted to retire rather than get fired after the Giants' disastrous 7-9 campaign this season.
According to sources, the Giants management blamed Gilbride for the team's "broken offense" but coach Tom Coughlin was reluctant to part ways with his offensive coordinator.
After a series of meetings between the coaching staff and front office, Gilbride reportedly reached a decision to retire.
The 62-year-old Gilbride began his professional coaching career in 1989, starting as a coach with the Houston Oilers before being promoted to offensive coordinator.
Gilbride's first head coaching job came in 1997 with the San Diego Chargers but he was fired after 22 games with a 6-16 record.
After a series of quick jobs with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Pittsburgh Steelers and Buffalo Bills, Gilbride found a long-term home with the Giants in 2004 as a quarterbacks coach, helping develop then No. 1 overall pick Eli Manning.
In 2007, he was promoted to offensive coordinator, a position he held with the team until now.
The leading candidate to replace Gilbride is former Giants wide receivers and quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan, who was recently let go as Buccaneers offensive coordinator.
- Seahawks vs 49ers: And The Edge Goes To ...
- Seahawks vs 49ers: The First Two Meetings
- NFC Championship: Seahawks WRs unworthy? Tate Says Wait
- Midseason Meet Prepared Seahawks for Gore
- Thomas: Seahawks 'Can Bully Whoever We Want'
- NFL Championship Weekend: What To Look For
- Four Teams Remain as NFL Enters Championship Weekend
- Broncos Hold off Chargers in 4th, Advance to AFC Championship
- Colin Kaepernick Shines as 49ers Beat Panthers to Advance to NFC Championship
- Legarrette Blount Runs Rampant Past Colts as Patriots Advance to AFC Title Game
- Marshawn Lynch Leads Seahawks Past Saints to NFC Title Game
- NFL Final Eight Take Center Stage in Divisional Playoffs
- Top‐Seeded Seahawks Host Saints in NFC Divisional Round
- Patriots Host Colts in AFC Divisional Round Matchup
- Panthers Host 49ers in NFC Divisional Round Matchup
- Broncos Host Chargers in AFC Divisional Round Matchup
- NFL 2013 Divisional Weekend: What to Look For
- NFL 2013 Divisional Playoffs: Injury Report
- Florida State Wideout Kelvin Benjamin Declares for NFL 2014 Draft
- Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2014 Finalists Announced
- Johnny Manziel Joins 2014 NFL Draft
- Late Field Goal Lifts 49ers Over Packers
- Chargers Shock Bengals 27-10
- Mark Ingram Fuels Saints Offense past Eagles
- Colts Post Comeback Win Over Wounded Chiefs
- Titans Fire Head Coach Mike Munchak After Disappointing Finish
- Brandon Jacobs Announces Retirement
- NFL 2013 Wild Card Weekend Preview
- Colts Host Chiefs in AFC Wild Card Playoff Matchup
- Eagles Host Saints in NFC Wild Card Playoff Matchup
- Bengals Host Chargers in AFC Wild Card Playoff Matchup
- 49ers Head to Green Bay in NFC Wild Card Playoff Matchup
- NFL 2013 Wild Card Weekend: What to Look For
- NFL Playoff Best Performances and Playoff Records
- NFL 2013 Review: Record-Breaking Season Had It All!
- Giants Offensive Coordinator Kevin Gilbride to Retire
- Bucs Hire Lovie Smith as Head Coach
- South Carolina Defensive End Jadeveon Clowney Enters NFL Draft
- Bears Sign Quarterback Jay Cutler to Seven-Year Deal
- NFL 2013 Regular Season Team Records and Milestones
- NFL 2013 Regular Season Individual Records and Milestones
- NFL 2013 Week 17: NFC Players of the Week
- NFL 2013 Week 17: AFC Players of the Week
- Brandon Boykin Saves Day as Eagles Clinch NFC East
- Aaron Rodgers and Randall Cobb Connect as Packers Beat Bears
- NFL 2013 Week 17: The Week That Was
- Bucs Dismiss Schiano and GM Mark Dominik
- Browns Fire Head Coach Rob Chudzinski After One Season
- Jets Retain Rex Ryan as Head Coach
- NFL 2013 Wild Card and Divisional Playoff Schedule
- Houston Texans Hold First Pick in 2014 NFL Draft
- NFL 2014 Regular Season Opponents Determined
- Deion Sanders to Shun Brady and Manning for Pro Bowl
- All on the Line in Final Weekend of Regular Season
- NFL 2013 Week 17: What To Look For
- Aaron Rodgers to Play for Packers in Bears Showdown
- Romo Undergoes Back Surgery, Out for Season
- Cowboys Coaches in Danger of Losing Jobs
- 2013 NFL Week 17: Playoff Scenarios
- Eagles Coach Chip Kelly Denies Texas Job Link
- NFL Executive Roots for Snow during Super Bowl XLVIII
- Players Think Rex Ryan Should Stay as Jets Coach
- Cowboys QB Tony Romo Still 'Fighting Through Injury'
- NFL 2013 Week 16: AFC Players of the Week
- NFL 2013 Week 16: NFC Players of the Week
- NFL 2013 Week 16: The Week That Was
- NFL Teams Prepare For Final Stretch
Article: Copyright ©, iHaveNet.com
Giants Offensive Coordinator Kevin Gilbride to Retire