- iHaveNet.com: NFL Football
by NFL Reporter Dean Michaels
The NFL said it has contingency plans if snow piles up during Super Bowl XLVIII on Feb. 2 at MetLife Stadium.
However, NFL senior vice president of events Frank Supovitz is rooting for some snow during the first outdoor Super Bowl planned for a cold-weather venue.
"I think watching NFL football in the snow is really romantic," Supovitz said. "It's great, it's exciting, and if you've ever done it, you know that. It's also a rite of passage for you as a fan to have done it at least once."
"And this is a Super Bowl, right? So I think it's going to be amazing. I think it would be better if it snowed a little bit during the game. I think it'll just make it more memorable," he added.
As part of the league's contingency plans, the game could be moved up to Saturday or delay it until Monday night but Supovitz said those plans exist for every Super Bowl.
New York/New Jersey Super Bowl host committee CEO Al Kelly said MetLife has the Aero, a machine that can melt 600 tons of snow an hour.
"There's so many questions about the weather," Kelly said. "We want to make sure that the national audience certainly knows this region has tremendous assets and resources and knows how to get this done."
"It's nothing more than reassuring people that, despite the fact that the world's greatest is going to be here, we still know how to clear snow. We keep the markets open every day and the schools open most days, and we'll do a good job Super Bowl week as well."
Commissioner Joe Mrozek said the NJ DOT has access to 821 snow trucks and plows and 60,000 tons of salt within a 30-mile radius.
- All on the Line in Final Weekend of Regular Season
- NFL 2013 Week 17: What To Look For
- Aaron Rodgers to Play for Packers in Bears Showdown
- Romo Undergoes Back Surgery, Out for Season
- Cowboys Coaches in Danger of Losing Jobs
- 2013 NFL Week 17: Playoff Scenarios
- Eagles Coach Chip Kelly Denies Texas Job Link
- NFL Executive Roots for Snow during Super Bowl XLVIII
- Players Think Rex Ryan Should Stay as Jets Coach
- Cowboys QB Tony Romo Still 'Fighting Through Injury'
- NFL 2013 Week 16: AFC Players of the Week
- NFL 2013 Week 16: NFC Players of the Week
- NFL 2013 Week 16: The Week That Was
- NFL Teams Prepare For Final Stretch
- Panthers and Saints Face Off in NFC South Matchup
- Chiefs Return Home to Face Indianapolis Colts
- Playoff Implications Abound as Ravens Host Patriots
- Seahawks Host Division Rival Cardinals
- Eagles Host Bears with Division Leads on the Line
- AFC Playoff Picture with Two Weeks To Go
- NFC Playoff Picture with Two Weeks To Go
- NFL 2013 Week 16: What To Look For
- NFL 2013 Week 15: NFC Players of the Week
- NFL 2013 Week 15: AFC Players of the Week
- NFL 2013 Week 15: The Week That Was
Copyright © All Rights Reserved
Super Bowl XLVIII - NFL Executive Roots for Snow during Super Bowl XLVIII