- iHaveNet.com: NFL Football
The Tennessee Titans have dismissed head coach Mike Munchak after three years at the helm, ending a stint of more than 30 years with the franchise.
Munchak compiled a three-season mark of 22-26 and did not take the team to the playoffs despite the signing of several free agents to contracts worth $100 million in the spring.
"First I want to thank Mike Munchak for his professionalism through this process and thank him for his years of dedication to the Titans/Oilers organization," general manager Ruston Webster said in a statement.
"Tough choices were presented to all sides and the end result was to part ways and move forward without Mike. We will immediately begin a search for a new head coach," Webster added.
The 2013 Titans started 3-1, but ultimately got only seven starts from starting quarterback Jake Locker, who missed time with a sprained knee and hip before returning and suffering a season-ending foot injury.
Munchak, a Hall of Fame offensive lineman, played for the Houston Oilers from 1982 to 1993 before they relocated to Tennessee in 1997
One year after his retirement in 1993, the Oilers took him as an offensive assistant/quality control. Three seasons later, he was named offensive line coach, where he would remain for fourteen seasons.
After the Titans fired head coach Jeff Fisher in 2011, Munchak was named head coach in his 30th year with the organization.
Munchak had no experience as a head coach or coordinator when late owner Bud Adams hand-picked him to replace Fisher.
Munchak had one year remaining on his deal, as do the majority of his assistants. Defensive coordinator Jerry Gray and senior assistant/defense Gregg Williams have expiring deals.
"This is a day I hoped would never come, but there is a reason for everything. Words cannot express the sadness for leaving this organization that I have been a part of for over 30 years.
My goal as head coach was to do things the right way with the right people and I felt confident that the results would follow. Sometimes rebuilding a team and its culture takes time, but I truly believe we were on the verge of great things. Unfortunately my vision did not match that of the organization, so we will part ways.
My family and I would like to thank the Adams family for all of the opportunities that they have given me over the last three decades.
I also would like to thank my players and staff for their on-going support and I wish them all the best.
Also, to the fans that have hung with me, I want to say 'thanks'."
NFL Football News & Analysis
NFL FOOTBALL NEWS & ARTICLES
BASEBALL | BASKETBALL | COLLEGES | FOOTBALL | GOLF | HOCKEY | OLYMPICS | SOCCER | TENNIS
Receive our NFL News & Analysis by email by subscribing here
NFL Super Bowl History
NFL Super Bowl History, Scores, Summaries & Super Bowl MVP Articles
NFL Football News & Analysis [...]
- Seahawks vs 49ers: And The Edge Goes To ...
- Seahawks vs 49ers: The First Two Meetings
- NFC Championship: Seahawks WRs unworthy? Tate Says Wait
- Midseason Meet Prepared Seahawks for Gore
- Thomas: Seahawks 'Can Bully Whoever We Want'
- NFL Championship Weekend: What To Look For
- Four Teams Remain as NFL Enters Championship Weekend
- Broncos Hold off Chargers in 4th, Advance to AFC Championship
- Colin Kaepernick Shines as 49ers Beat Panthers to Advance to NFC Championship
- Legarrette Blount Runs Rampant Past Colts as Patriots Advance to AFC Title Game
- Marshawn Lynch Leads Seahawks Past Saints to NFC Title Game
- NFL Final Eight Take Center Stage in Divisional Playoffs
- Top‐Seeded Seahawks Host Saints in NFC Divisional Round
- Patriots Host Colts in AFC Divisional Round Matchup
- Panthers Host 49ers in NFC Divisional Round Matchup
- Broncos Host Chargers in AFC Divisional Round Matchup
- NFL 2013 Divisional Weekend: What to Look For
- NFL 2013 Divisional Playoffs: Injury Report
- Florida State Wideout Kelvin Benjamin Declares for NFL 2014 Draft
- Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2014 Finalists Announced
- Johnny Manziel Joins 2014 NFL Draft
- Late Field Goal Lifts 49ers Over Packers
- Chargers Shock Bengals 27-10
- Mark Ingram Fuels Saints Offense past Eagles
- Colts Post Comeback Win Over Wounded Chiefs
- Titans Fire Head Coach Mike Munchak After Disappointing Finish
- Brandon Jacobs Announces Retirement
- NFL 2013 Wild Card Weekend Preview
- Colts Host Chiefs in AFC Wild Card Playoff Matchup
- Eagles Host Saints in NFC Wild Card Playoff Matchup
- Bengals Host Chargers in AFC Wild Card Playoff Matchup
- 49ers Head to Green Bay in NFC Wild Card Playoff Matchup
- NFL 2013 Wild Card Weekend: What to Look For
- NFL Playoff Best Performances and Playoff Records
- NFL 2013 Review: Record-Breaking Season Had It All!
- Giants Offensive Coordinator Kevin Gilbride to Retire
- Bucs Hire Lovie Smith as Head Coach
- South Carolina Defensive End Jadeveon Clowney Enters NFL Draft
- Bears Sign Quarterback Jay Cutler to Seven-Year Deal
- NFL 2013 Regular Season Team Records and Milestones
- NFL 2013 Regular Season Individual Records and Milestones
- NFL 2013 Week 17: NFC Players of the Week
- NFL 2013 Week 17: AFC Players of the Week
- NFL 2013 Week 17: The Week That Was
Article: Copyright ©, iHaveNet.com
Titans Fire Head Coach Mike Munchak After Disappointing Finish