- LATIN AMERICA
- MIDDLE EAST
- United Kingdom
- United States
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- iHaveNet.com: NFL Football
NFL 2014: What To Look For Week 5
Dallas running back DE MARCO MURRAY has rushed for at least 100 yards and a touchdown in each of his first four games, tied with Pro Football Hall of Famer EMMITT SMITH for the fourth-longest such streak in NFL history to begin a season.
With at least 100 rushing yards and a touchdown against the Houston Texans on Sunday, Murray can join Pro Football Hall of Famers JIM BROWN (six) and O.J. SIMPSON (five) as the only players to do so in at least five games to begin a season.
The longest start-of-season streaks in NFL history with at least 100 rushing yards and a touchdown run:
|Source: NFL *Active streak|
Still In The Mix
History shows that a losing record at this point in the season does not negate a team's chances of making the playoffs.
Since the current playoff system (12 teams) was instituted in 1990, 25 teams have rebounded from a losing record after four weeks to qualify for the postseason, including the Philadelphia Eagles and Carolina Panthers in 2013. Four of those teams advanced to their Conference Championship Games, including the 2001 New England Patriots (1-3) en route to their Super Bowl XXXVI victory.
Since 1990, the NFL teams that started 1-3 or worse and made the playoffs:
|1990||New Orleans||1-3||Wild Card Playoffs|
|1990||Philadelphia||1-3||Wild Card Playoffs|
|1991||NY Jets||1-3||Wild Card Playoffs|
|1992||San Diego||0-4||Divisional Playoffs|
|1993||Green Bay||1-3||Divisional Playoffs|
|1995||Detroit||1-3||Wild Card Playoffs|
|1997||NY Giants||1-3||Wild Card Playoffs|
|1998||Buffalo||1-3||Wild Card Playoffs|
|2000||New Orleans||1-3||Divisional Playoffs|
|2001||New England||1-3||Won Super Bowl XXXVI|
|2002||NY Jets||1-3||Divisional Playoffs|
|2004||Green Bay||1-3||Wild Card Playoffs|
|2007||San Diego||1-3||Championship Game|
|2008||Minnesota||1-3||Wild Card Playoffs|
|2013||Philadelphia||1-3||Wild Card Playoffs|
Denver quarterback PEYTON MANNING has 499 career touchdown passes and can join BRETT FAVRE (508) as the only players with 500.
Favre recorded his 500th career touchdown pass in his 293rd game on his 9,924th pass attempt. Manning has 8,563 career attempts and will face the undefeated Arizona Cardinals (3-0) in his 244th regular season game on Sunday.
A look at how quickly Favre and Manning reached each major touchdown pass milestone in terms of games and attempts:
Number of Games To Reach Milestone TDs
Number of Attempts To Reach Milestone TDs
New Orleans quarterback DREW BREES has 39,936 passing yards since joining the Saints in 2006, the most of any NFL player during that span.
Brees needs 64 passing yards against Tampa Bay to become the sixth quarterback in NFL history with 40,000 passing yards with one franchise. He will play in his 132nd game with New Orleans on Sunday and can surpass DAN MARINO (Miami Dolphins, 153 games) as the fastest quarterback to reach 40,000 passing yards with a team.
The quarterbacks with 40,000 passing yards with one team and the number of games it took each of them to reach the milestone:
|Source: NFL *39,936 passing yards|
|Dan Marino||Miami Dolphins||153|
|Peyton Manning||Indianapolis Colts||154|
|Tom Brady||New England Patriots||162|
|Brett Favre||Green Bay Packers||164|
|Dan Fouts||San Diego Chargers||168|
|John Elway||Denver Broncos||183|
|Drew Brees*||New Orleans Saints||131|
New England's TOM BRADY needs 60 passing yards against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday Night Football to become the sixth quarterback in NFL history to reach 50,000 career passing yards.
In 15 seasons, Brady has 49,940 career passing yards.
The NFL quarterbacks with the most career passing yards:
|Source: NFL *Active|
Tight Ends with 10,000 Yards
JASON WITTEN of the Dallas Cowboys has 9,955 career receiving yards, the third-most among tight ends in NFL history.
With 45 receiving yards against Houston, Witten can join TONY GONZALEZ (15,127) and Pro Football Hall of Famer SHANNON SHARPE (10,060) as the only tight ends with 10,000 career receiving yards.
Witten, who will play in his 180th career game in Week 5, can become the second-fastest tight end to reach the milestone. Gonzalez reach 10,000 yards in his 177th game, while Sharpe did so in his 203rd game.
- Playoff Races Heating Up as NFL Season Rolls On
- AFC Rookies Making an Impact
- NFC Rookies Making Their Mark
- What To Look For Week 11
- 'Pro Football Now' Preview
- What If Tom Brady and Peyton Manning Had Switched Teams?
- Brady vs Luck: Who Has the Upper Hand in Sunday Night Showdown?
- Could the Green Bay Packers Miss the Playoffs?
- NFL Power Rankings for Week 11
- Inside the NFL's Replay Command Center
- Are the Cardinals Still Contenders Without Carson Palmer?
- Brady, Luck Faceoff and Other NFL Week 11 Games to Watch
- NFL Enters Second Half As Playoffs Race Intensifies
- Week 10 Thursday Night Football Preview
- What To Look For Week 10
- AFC Midseason Projections
- NFC Midseason Projections
- Teams Plot Ways to Beat Peyton Manning
- Fantasy Football Trades to Make Before Deadline
- Most Important Games of the Second Half of NFL Season
- Elite NFL Players on the Decline
- Can Colts Make Super Bowl Run on Passing Game Alone?
- 7-1 Means the Arizona Cardinals Are the NFL's Best, Right?
- Are the New England Patriots Now the AFC's Top Team?
- Are the San Francisco 49ers Done?
- Who to Play in Fantasy Football's Week 10
- Why the Cowboys Are Fake Pretenders
- Week 9: Great Slate in Store
- NFL Week 9 Games to Watch
- Manning vs Brady XVI
- Impact Rookie Receivers
- What To Look For Week 9
- New York Jets Will Clean House
- Why Rex Ryan Will Be Fired
- Was Jay Cutler a Mistake?
- NFL Week 8 Preview
- Showdown in the Desert: Eagles (5-1) Visit Cardinals (5-1)
- Red-Zone Efficiency Key To Victory
- What To Look For Week 8
- Steelers Score 3 TDs in 73 Seconds vs Texans
- Why Seattle Can Make the Playoffs
- Peyton Manning Breaks Career TD Passes Record
- Bengals, Browns, Chargers: Are They Who We Thought They Were?
- NFL Week 7 Preview
- Matt Ryan & Joe Flacco
- Philip Rivers' Record-Breaking Streak
- What To Look For Week 7
- Best 2-Minute QB's Without a Super Bowl Win
- NFL Games to Watch Week 7
- Lions' Defense Sets Team Apart This Year
- Who Is the Dirtiest Player in the NFL?
- Matthew Stafford Approaches Dan Marino Record
- Why Cardinals Will Dethrone Seahawks in NFC West
- Are the Cowboys the NFL's Best Team?
- Which Season-Ending Injury Hurts the Most?
- NFL Week 6 Preview
- Do Giants or Eagles Have Edge?
- Most NFL Fans Think Goodell Should Keep Job
- The Most Underutilized NFL Players
- Tight Ends On Record-Breaking Pace
- A Look at Aaron Rodgers
- Week 6 What to Look For
- NFL's Best Young QB
- The Great Football Debate
- Most Likely to Go 0-16
- Rex Ryan's Return Unlikely
- Will 49ers Part Ways with Jim Harbaugh?
- NFL 2014: NFL Season Enters Second Quarter
- What To Look For Week 5
- Peyton Manning Approaches 500th TD Pass
- De Marco Murray Rushing Into The Record Books
- What's Wrong with the Patriots?
- NFL MVP at the Quarter Mark
- How Many Turnovers Are Too Many for a Young QB?
- Will Peyton Manning Solve the Cardinals Secondary?
- Why Philip Rivers Is the MVP Frontrunner
- Are the Cowboys the Best Team in the NFC East?
- NFL Approaches Quarter Mark
- Week 4 What to Look For
- QBs Off to Efficient Start
- Cardinals & Eagles Flying High
- NFL Predictions Turned Bad
- Will New NFL Conduct Policy Exact Real Change?
- Packers Need a Sense of Urgency
- Contenders and Pretenders
- Cardinals Rise, 49ers Demise
- Key Matchups On Tap For Week 3
- What To Look For Week 3
- Special Teams Game-Changers
- NFL Comeback Wins
- Goodell Digs Himself Deeper
- Did Roger Goodell's Press Conference Do Enough?
- The 0-2 Panic Meter
- Adrian Peterson Reinstated by Vikings
- Death Of The NFL?
- Is This the End for RGIII?
- RGIII's Future in Cousins' Hands
- Best & Worst from NFL Week 2
- Richard Sherman Not a 'Shutdown Corner'
- NFL 2014: NFL Calls on Ex-FBI Chief to Probe Ray Rice Matter
- NFL 2014: Pressure Building for Roger Goodell's Resignation
- NFL 2014: Week 2 Fantasy Football Picks
- Quarterbacks Take Center Stage
- Is Derek Carr the Answer in Oakland?
- Fantasy Football Start 'Em, Sit 'Em Week 1
- Emmitt Smith on the Running Back's Changing Role
- Seahawks & Packers Kick Off NFL 2014 Season
- NFL 2014: Who Will Win Super Bowl XLIX
- NFL 2014: Seattle Seahawks - Super Follow-Ups
- Best NFL Records, Past 10 Years
- NFL Division Titles Up for Grabs
Article: Copyright ©
NFL 2014 - What To Look For Week 5