- iHaveNet.com: NFL Football
by Fitzgerald Cecilio
New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady said he enjoyed getting to know Tim Tebow during their 2-plus months as teammates.
"I enjoyed being around him very much," Brady said of Tebow on the "Dennis & Callahan Show". "He's a very talented football player, and to have a chance to spend a couple months with him and kind of become a friend of his was a great thing."
"Yesterday we were talking about a lot of the quarterbacks that have been through our team over the years, and everyone brings a unique skill set and attitude to the table, and I really enjoyed being with him," he added.
Tebow was released by the Patriots when the team made the final cut Saturday. Tebow had an inconsistent preseason, going 11-of-30 passing in three games and tossing an interception and two touchdown passes against the New York Giants.
Patriots team owner Robert Kraft shared Brady's sentiment, saying he wanted Tebow to make the roster and hopes he gets another shot to play quarterback with a different team.
"I love Tim Tebow and I very much wanted him on the team," Kraft said. "If you look, four of the last five years we've only carried two quarterbacks, and you know when a cut-down time comes, you need those last three, four positions for depth."
When Tebow was cut, the Patriots have Ryan Mallett as the lone quarterback behind Brady on the depth chart.
Kraft is confident that Tebow will find success in his off-field ventures, and he remains hopeful Tebow has a chance to continue his football pursuits.
"Whatever he does, I know he's going to be a great success off the field and I'm rooting for him to get his opportunity on the field as well," he said.
Tebow, a former Heisman Trophy winner, was subject to the NFL's waiver system after his release, but he went unclaimed and is now a free agent.
Aside from the NFL, Tebow could look to the Canadian Football League as next destination but the CFL team that holds his negotiating rights doesn't sound interested in giving him a call.
"We haven't spoken to Tebow or his representative," Montreal Alouettes general manager/coach Jim Popp said, adding that "a team would have to change its entire system for Tim."
Patriots release quarterback Tim Tebow
The New England Patriots have released quarterback Tim Tebow after his rocky showing in the preseason.
Via his official Twitter account, Tebow thanked Patriots owner Robert Kraft, coach Bill Belichick and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who drafted and coached Tebow in Denver, for giving him the opportunity.
"I will remain in relentless pursuit of continuing my lifelong dream of being an NFL quarterback," Tebow wrote on Twitter. If Tebow clears waivers, he will become a free agent and can sign with any team.
Since he was signed by the Patriots at the start of minicamp in June, his place was already in doubt as New England carried only two quarterbacks last season -- Tom Brady and Ryan Mallett.
Tebow's inconsistent showing in the preseason also did not help his standing with the team. He completed 11 of 30 passes for 145 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions in the preseason. Tebow also rushed 16 times for 91 yards and was sacked seven times.
In his NFL career, Tebow has completed 173 of 361 passes for 2,422 yards with 17 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He also rushed for 989 yards and 12 scores in his pro career.
- Team-By-Team Look at the 2013 QBs in the AFC
- Team-By-Team Look at the 2013 QBs in the NFC
- EJ Manuel Gets Nod as Bills Starting Quarterback
- Texans Give Brian Cushing Six-Year Extension Worth $55.6M
- Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin Says Back Isaac Redman to Start
- Tom Brady Enjoyed Time with Tim Tebow
- Player Milestones: What to Look For in 2013
- Double-Threat Running Backs
- The NFL's Undrafted Stars
- High-Profile Small-School Stars in the NFL Today
- Joe Flacco: Calm and Cool
- Adrian Peterson: Rushing into the Record Books
- Big Play Excitement in the NFL
- Excitement Abounds as New Coaches Take Over NFL Teams
- The NFL's Big-Time Wide Receivers
- Megatron Makes History: Calvin Johnson Sets Receiving Record
- Tom Brady is Tom Terrific
- Cool Brees: QB Drew Brees Leads Saints
- Ravens & Broncos Kick Off NFL 2013 Season
- NFL 2013 Kickoff Weekend Notes
- NFL Strength of Schedule Team Rankings
- NFL 2013 Total Team Miles Traveled
- What to Look For in 2013
- NFL Ratchets Up the Excitement
- Remembering the Ravens Super Bowl XLVII Victory
- Super Bowl Victory Follow-Ups
- Winning Traditions in the NFL
- Quarterback Success in the NFL
- NFL Quarterbacks of the Future
- Offensive Tackles Protecting the Quarterback
- Spread Offense
- Good Running Backs Come in Pairs
- NFL Tight Ends on the Rise in 2013
- Exciting Plays in the Return Game
- Turnovers Key to Victory in the NFL
- Return to Sender
- Importance of the Ground Game
- Excelling on Third Down
- Fourth-and-One Situations
- The NFL's Sack Attack
- From Worst to First
- The Value of Football
- NFL Touchdown Streaks
- Peyton Manning and the NFL Record Books
- Aaron Rodgers Continues to Build His Legacy
- Young Quarterbacks on the Rise in 2013
- NFL Rookies Excelled in 2012
- Colin Kaepernick Off to an Outstanding Start
- Randall Cobb: Mr. Versatility
- Devin Hester: NFL Game-Changer
- New NFL Rules for 2013
- NFL Rules: A Constant Evolution
NFL Continues to Emphasize Player Health and Safety
- Thigh and Knee Pads Mandatory in 2013
- New York / New Jersey to Host First Super Bowl
- NFL Championship Weather
- Opening Day 1947: A Record 87 Points
- The 'Holy Roller' Game - Chargers vs Raiders - 1978
- NFL 2013: Best NFL Records, Past 10 Years
- NFL Football Still America's Favorite Sport By Far in 2013
- NFL to Play Two Regular-Season Games in London for First Time
- Bills Toronto Series Carries On
- 2013 NFL Draft Goes International
- Lawrence Okoye: From Discus to D-Line
- Best NFL Kickoff Weekend Performances, 1933-2012
- Best NFL Kickoff Weekend Performances, Past Ten Seasons
- Colin Kaepernick Tops NFL Jersey Sales
- Offseason Moves: Same Faces, New Places
- NFL 2013: Overtime Excitement
- Modified Sudden Death Overtime
- Jets Rookie Lineman Says He's Not a Radical Muslim
Copyright © All Rights Reserved
Tom Brady Enjoyed Time with Tim Tebow