- iHaveNet.com: NFL Football
In today's NFL, more teams are factoring the tight end into the offense.
For the fourth consecutive year, NFL tight ends broke the single-season record for the most receptions (2,401) for the position.
Eighteen tight ends caught at least 50 passes, eclipsing the previous record of 17 set in 2011. Tight ends also combined for 26,197 receiving yards and 197 touchdown catches, both of which rank second to 2011's record totals (27,080 yards, 198 TDs).
Single-Season Tight End Records
|Year||Catches||Year||Rec. Yards||Year||TD Catches|
"I've never seen this many tight ends this good at one particular time," says CBS analyst Shannon Sharpe, one of eight tight ends enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. "We've never seen the position this dominant. This is the golden age of tight ends."
In a banner season for the position with standout performances by tight ends across the league, Jason Witten of the Dallas Cowboys and Rob Gronkowski of the New England Patriots led the way.
Witten's 110 receptions were the most in a single season by a tight end in NFL history, surpassing Tony Gonzalez's mark of 102 in 2004.
Despite missing five games due to injury, Gronkowski led all tight ends with 11 touchdown catches and became the first tight end in NFL history to score at least 10 touchdowns in three consecutive seasons.
To finish off another tremendous season for the position, Minnesota's Kyle Rudolph became the second tight end in AFC-NFC Pro Bowl history to earn game MVP honors, joining Pro Football Hall of Famer Kellen Winslow (1982).
The versatility of today's tight ends causes matchup problems for the defense, which is crucial in the NFL's never-ending chess game between offensive and defensive coordinators.
"You look at the majority of the explosive pass plays on the field, it's because of tight-end representation," says ESPN analyst and former NFL quarterback TRENT DILFER. "Not because tight ends get them every play, but because of their influence on the field.
It's the hardest riddle for the defense to answer, especially if you have two of them that can complement each other." When an offense trots out a two-tight end, two-receiver personnel group, the defense must be ready for anything, particularly when one or both of the tight ends is a receiving threat.
"I think Kellen Winslow and OZZIE NEWSOME really revolutionized the position and now you're seeing more and more of these guys," says NBC analyst and former head coach TONY DUNGY. "They're difficult to defend and I think you're going to continue to see more tight ends become big-time playmakers."
NFL Football News & Analysis [...]
- Team-By-Team Look at the 2013 QBs in the AFC
- Team-By-Team Look at the 2013 QBs in the NFC
- EJ Manuel Gets Nod as Bills Starting Quarterback
- Texans Give Brian Cushing Six-Year Extension Worth $55.6M
- Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin Says Back Isaac Redman to Start
- Tom Brady Enjoyed Time with Tim Tebow
- Player Milestones: What to Look For in 2013
- Double-Threat Running Backs
- The NFL's Undrafted Stars
- High-Profile Small-School Stars in the NFL Today
- Joe Flacco: Calm and Cool
- Adrian Peterson: Rushing into the Record Books
- Big Play Excitement in the NFL
- Excitement Abounds as New Coaches Take Over NFL Teams
- The NFL's Big-Time Wide Receivers
- Megatron Makes History: Calvin Johnson Sets Receiving Record
- Tom Brady is Tom Terrific
- Cool Brees: QB Drew Brees Leads Saints
- Ravens & Broncos Kick Off NFL 2013 Season
- NFL 2013 Kickoff Weekend Notes
- NFL Strength of Schedule Team Rankings
- NFL 2013 Total Team Miles Traveled
- What to Look For in 2013
- NFL Ratchets Up the Excitement
- Remembering the Ravens Super Bowl XLVII Victory
- Super Bowl Victory Follow-Ups
- Winning Traditions in the NFL
- Quarterback Success in the NFL
- NFL Quarterbacks of the Future
- Offensive Tackles Protecting the Quarterback
- Spread Offense
- Good Running Backs Come in Pairs
- NFL Tight Ends on the Rise in 2013
- Exciting Plays in the Return Game
- Turnovers Key to Victory in the NFL
- Return to Sender
- Importance of the Ground Game
- Excelling on Third Down
- Fourth-and-One Situations
- The NFL's Sack Attack
- From Worst to First
- The Value of Football
- NFL Touchdown Streaks
- Peyton Manning and the NFL Record Books
- Aaron Rodgers Continues to Build His Legacy
- Young Quarterbacks on the Rise in 2013
- NFL Rookies Excelled in 2012
- Colin Kaepernick Off to an Outstanding Start
- Randall Cobb: Mr. Versatility
- Devin Hester: NFL Game-Changer
- New NFL Rules for 2013
- NFL Rules: A Constant Evolution
NFL Continues to Emphasize Player Health and Safety
- Thigh and Knee Pads Mandatory in 2013
- New York / New Jersey to Host First Super Bowl
- NFL Championship Weather
- Opening Day 1947: A Record 87 Points
- The 'Holy Roller' Game - Chargers vs Raiders - 1978
- NFL 2013: Best NFL Records, Past 10 Years
- NFL Football Still America's Favorite Sport By Far in 2013
- NFL to Play Two Regular-Season Games in London for First Time
- Bills Toronto Series Carries On
- 2013 NFL Draft Goes International
- Lawrence Okoye: From Discus to D-Line
- Best NFL Kickoff Weekend Performances, 1933-2012
- Best NFL Kickoff Weekend Performances, Past Ten Seasons
- Colin Kaepernick Tops NFL Jersey Sales
- Offseason Moves: Same Faces, New Places
- NFL 2013: Overtime Excitement
- Modified Sudden Death Overtime
- Jets Rookie Lineman Says He's Not a Radical Muslim
Article: Copyright ©, iHaveNet.com
NFL Tight Ends on the Rise in 2013