Germany Wins World Cup for 1st Time in 24 Years
(Photo: Clive Rose/Getty Images for Sony)
Germany and Argentina met for a battle of titans in Brazil on Sunday for the 20th World Cup final. In the 113th minute, Germany’s Mario Gotze sent an acrobatic goal past Argentinian goalkeeper Sergio Romero, winning the game 1-0 and making Germany the first European national team to lift the World Cup in the Americas
"It is unbelievable and an awesome experience," Germany's goalie Manuel Neuer told German television. "We have had incredible cohesion since the start of our preparations. Germany (is) world champions. I don't know how long we will celebrate, but we will go about it with big grins."
After the game, the German team made its way up the stairs of Maracana Stadium to raise the hallowed 18-carat gold trophy, as confetti rained down and fireworks exploded in the sky.
"It's incredible how hard we worked and what a performance we produced," team captain Philipp Lahm said. "It's an incredible feeling."
Germany and Argentina had met twice before in the World Cup title game. Argentina won in 1986, and the Germans won in 1990.
This time, Argentina was hoping its superstar, Lionel Messi, would lead the South American football power to its third title. But Germany's stingy defense neutralized Messi, a four-time FIFA World Player of the Year, for most of the game.
Messi, who scored four goals in the tournament, all in the group stage, received the Golden Ball award as the World Cup's best player. In the end, though, he was still walking in the shadow of Argentine football legend Diego Maradona, who led his country to the 1986 World Cup title, in part, with his famous "Hand of God" goal and the "Goal of the Century."
Sunday's game marked the third straight World Cup championship that went to extra time. Both teams had solid chances to score before Goetze's goal, with the Argentines missing out on a few that would later haunt them.
In the 21st minute, Argentina's Gonzalo Higuain intercepted an errant pass and broke for the net but hooked his shot far wide. He found the net in the 30th minute but was called for offside.
Early in the second half, Messi stood one-on-one with Neuer, who later won the Golden Glove award for the tournament's best goalie, but sent his shot wide. Argentina also failed to convert on opportunities in extra time.
Argentine Coach Congratulatory in Defeat
"When there are chances in a game that is so evenly balanced, you have to take them," Argentina's coach Alejandro Sabella said. "We lacked a bit of efficiency."
Sabella praised his team for staying even with Germany for so long after a tough semifinal against the Netherlands. Argentina won that game in a penalty shootout, 4-2, after a scoreless draw.
"The only thing I can do is congratulate my players," Sabella said. "The work they did was extraordinary, and (I) also congratulate Germany."
The Argentines went undefeated in the World Cup until the championship game. They played Germany without speedy winger Angel Di Maria, who was out with a thigh injury.
In addition to the award to Messi and Neuer, Colombia's James Rodriguez won the Golden Boot award as the tournament's top scorer with six goals.
In a symbolic gesture before the game, Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff, Russian President Vladimir Putin and Sepp Blatter, president of football's world governing body, FIFA, took part in a World Cup handover ceremony. Russia will host the 2018 World Cup.
- Gotze Goal Earns Germany World Cup
- Fans Watch Germany Win Over Argentina
- Germany Wins World Cup for 1st Time in 24 Years
- Germans Celebrate, Argentines Mourn
- Messi: We Had Our Chances
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Argentina vs Germany
- World Cup Finals: It All Comes Down To This
- Argentina vs Germany: World Cup Final Preview
- World Cup Final Pits Argentina Against Germany
- Who to Root For During World Cup 2014 Final Match
- Dutch Claim 3rd Place with 3-0 Win Over Brazil
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Brazil vs Netherlands
- 7 Hottest Fans at The 2014 World Cup
- Hottest Girls in the Crowd at The 2014 World Cup
- The World Cup's Biggest All Time Shocks
- Argentina Faces Germany in World Cup Final
- Argentina Advances to Final with PK Win over Dutch
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Netherlands vs Argentina
- Brazil's Humiliating Loss to Germany Breaks Twitter Record
- Brazil: The Day After
- Brazilians Confront Defeat
- Scolari Reacts to Germany Route
- Germany Thrashes Brazil 7-1
- Numerous Records Set in German Demolishing of Brazil
- Germany 7, Brazil 1: 'Nuff Said
- Brazil Needed More Than Neymar Masks
- Brazilians Dejected After World Cup Loss
- Processing Brazil's World Cup Humiliation
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Brazil vs Germany
- Argentina vs Netherands World Cup Semifinal Preview
- Netherlands Downs Costa Rica on PKs
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Netherlands vs Costa Rica
- Argentina into Semis with 1-0 Win Over Belgium
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Argentina vs Belgium
- Neymar and Brazil in Pain
- Brazil Eliminates Colombia 2-1
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Brazil vs Colombia
- Germany Beats European Rival France, 1-0
- 2014 World Cup Photos - France vs Germany
- Quarterfinals Preview: Costa Rica Vs Netherlands
- Quarterfinals Preview: Argentina vs Belgium
- Will World Cup Run Help Soccer Catch On in The States?
- US Goalie Tim Howard's Top Memes and Twitter Reactions
- Soccer Fans React to Team USA Defeat
- Chris Wondolowski Miss Crushes Every American
- United States Falls to Belgium 2-1
- Tim Howard: Part Brick Wall, Part Superhero, All-American Hero
- 2014 World Cup Photos - United States vs Belgium
- Di Maria Nets Winner for Argentina
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Argentina vs Switzerland
- Klinsmann: US Team has No Fear Ahead of Belgium Match
- Team USA Veteran Sizes Up Belgian Squad
- Germany Advances to Quarterfinals with 2-1 Win Over Algeria
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Germany vs Algeria
- France Beats Nigeria 2-0 to Reach World Cup Quarterfinals
- 2014 World Cup Photos - France vs Nigeria
- Costa Rica Downs Greece on PKs to Advance
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Costa Rica vs Greece
- Netherlands Beats Mexico with Last-Minute Penalty
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Netherlands vs Mexico
- Colombia Advances with 2-0 Win Over Uruguay
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Colombia vs Uruguay
- Brazil Defeats Chile on Penalty Kicks
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Brazil vs Chile
- Suarez Claims Chiellini Bite Was An Accident
Article: Copyright © 2014, iHaveNet.com
"Germany Wins World Cup for 1st Time in 24 Years "