- LATIN AMERICA
- MIDDLE EAST
- United Kingdom
- United States
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- iHaveNet.com: Soccer
Dutch Claim 3rd Place with 3-0 Win Over Brazil
(Photo: Robert Cianflone/Getty Images for Sony)
While it was not the 7-1 thrashing to Germany that will be talked about for decades, the 3-0 defeat to the Dutch in the 3rd place match had the feel of a game that only reopened the wounds of Brazilians that had just begun to heal.
Brazil ended their World Cup to a cacophony of boos as the defensive errors resurfaced in a shoddy 3-0 loss to the Netherlands in the third-place playoff match
The Netherlands handed Brazil its second straight devastating loss, topping the World Cup's host country to capture third place in the tournament.
The Netherlands' Robin van Persie and Daley Blind scored in the early minutes, demoralizing a heavily partisan Brazilian crowd at Estadio Nacional in Brasilia. Georginio Wijnaldum added an insurance 3rd goal in injury time.
The 3-0 loss added to the agonizing frustration for Brazil, which had been seeking a record sixth World Cup championship.
The Brazilians suffered a humiliating 7-1 loss to Germany in the semifinals that marked their worst-ever margin of defeat and the first time in 80 years that they allowed seven goals in one game. They also finished the World Cup with back-to-back home losses for the first time since 1940.
When the final whistle sounded Saturday, the Brazilian team was loudly booed by the nearly 70,000 fans in attendance.
A "Terrible" Feeling
"It's a terrible feeling, I don't know what to say," said midfielder Oscar, whose team allowed 14 goals, the most-ever for a host team. "After a huge loss to Germany, today we tried our best from the beginning to win third place but it wasn't our day. We have to see what went wrong so we can improve for the future."
In contrast, the Dutch finished a World Cup unbeaten in regular play for the first time, losing to Argentina in a penalty shootout in the semifinals following a scoreless draw. After they finished second at the World Cup four years ago, third place is their best showing since losses in the finals in 1974 and 1978.
On Saturday, they started fast at the same time that Brazil looked confused.
Van Persie scored in the third minute on a penalty kick, hooking the ball into the upper corner of the net past diving goalie Julio Cesar. It appeared that Brazil's Thiago Silva had yanked van Persie down outside the box, but the referee awarded a penalty kick.
In the 17th minute, Brazilian defender David Luiz mistakenly headed the ball to Blind, who punched it through uncontested for a 2-0 lead. Luiz was trying to clear a cross in front of the goal.
Brazil played catch up from there, trying a series of free kicks that failed.
The Dutch were proud of their performance despite falling short of their first World Cup championship.
"It was a great end," forward Arjen Robben said. "You can get rid of a bit of the shock of not going to the final but not completely. The disappointment stays, we've been so close. We deserved more. I'm finished, I've given everything. That's why third place is so deserved. I'm so proud of this team. Compliments to them."
For the second straight game, the Brazilians played without star striker Neymar, who fractured a vertebra in the quarterfinals and was lost for the tournament. Silva, Brazil's captain, was back after serving a one-game suspension for earning his second yellow card.
The Dutch played without one of their top scoring threats, midfielder Wesley Sneijder, who was injured in the pre-match warm-up.
"The most beautiful was our resilience," Wijnaldum said. "We were knocked out, but we came back and finished third. We wanted to close it out well."
- Gotze Goal Earns Germany World Cup
- Fans Watch Germany Win Over Argentina
- Germany Wins World Cup for 1st Time in 24 Years
- Germans Celebrate, Argentines Mourn
- Messi: We Had Our Chances
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Argentina vs Germany
- World Cup Finals: It All Comes Down To This
- Argentina vs Germany: World Cup Final Preview
- World Cup Final Pits Argentina Against Germany
- Who to Root For During World Cup 2014 Final Match
- Dutch Claim 3rd Place with 3-0 Win Over Brazil
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Brazil vs Netherlands
- 7 Hottest Fans at The 2014 World Cup
- Hottest Girls in the Crowd at The 2014 World Cup
- The World Cup's Biggest All Time Shocks
- Argentina Faces Germany in World Cup Final
- Argentina Advances to Final with PK Win over Dutch
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Netherlands vs Argentina
- Brazil's Humiliating Loss to Germany Breaks Twitter Record
- Brazil: The Day After
- Brazilians Confront Defeat
- Scolari Reacts to Germany Route
- Germany Thrashes Brazil 7-1
- Numerous Records Set in German Demolishing of Brazil
- Germany 7, Brazil 1: 'Nuff Said
- Brazil Needed More Than Neymar Masks
- Brazilians Dejected After World Cup Loss
- Processing Brazil's World Cup Humiliation
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Brazil vs Germany
- Argentina vs Netherands World Cup Semifinal Preview
- Netherlands Downs Costa Rica on PKs
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Netherlands vs Costa Rica
- Argentina into Semis with 1-0 Win Over Belgium
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Argentina vs Belgium
- Neymar and Brazil in Pain
- Brazil Eliminates Colombia 2-1
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Brazil vs Colombia
- Germany Beats European Rival France, 1-0
- 2014 World Cup Photos - France vs Germany
- Quarterfinals Preview: Costa Rica Vs Netherlands
- Quarterfinals Preview: Argentina vs Belgium
- Will World Cup Run Help Soccer Catch On in The States?
- US Goalie Tim Howard's Top Memes and Twitter Reactions
- Soccer Fans React to Team USA Defeat
- Chris Wondolowski Miss Crushes Every American
- United States Falls to Belgium 2-1
- Tim Howard: Part Brick Wall, Part Superhero, All-American Hero
- 2014 World Cup Photos - United States vs Belgium
- Di Maria Nets Winner for Argentina
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Argentina vs Switzerland
- Klinsmann: US Team has No Fear Ahead of Belgium Match
- Team USA Veteran Sizes Up Belgian Squad
- Germany Advances to Quarterfinals with 2-1 Win Over Algeria
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Germany vs Algeria
- France Beats Nigeria 2-0 to Reach World Cup Quarterfinals
- 2014 World Cup Photos - France vs Nigeria
- Costa Rica Downs Greece on PKs to Advance
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Costa Rica vs Greece
- Netherlands Beats Mexico with Last-Minute Penalty
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Netherlands vs Mexico
- Colombia Advances with 2-0 Win Over Uruguay
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Colombia vs Uruguay
- Brazil Defeats Chile on Penalty Kicks
- 2014 World Cup Photos - Brazil vs Chile
- Suarez Claims Chiellini Bite Was An Accident
Article: Copyright ©, iHaveNet.com
"Dutch Claim 3rd Place with 3-0 Win Over Brazil "