- LATIN AMERICA
- MIDDLE EAST
- United Kingdom
- United States
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- iHaveNet.com: NFL Football
Seahawks D Faces Gimpy, Game Rodgers
(Photo: Drew McKenzie, Sportspress Northwest)
The Packers must overcome their own demons at CenturyLink FIeld, not to mention the league's best defense, with a hobbled QB, if they are to pull an upset in the NFC championship.
Aaron Rodgers failed his first test this season against the Legion of Boom.
In Week 1, the Seahawks hosted the Green Bay Packers at CenturyLink Field. Rodgers wasn't great in Seattle's 36-16 win -- he completed 23 of 33 passes for 189 yards, one touchdown and one interception -- but his performance was probably better defined by where he didn't throw.
Not once did Green Bay's quarterback, the favorite to win the NFL MVP this season, throw at Seahawks CB Richard Sherman. Packers coach Mike McCarthy said afterward it wasn't their intention to totally ignore Sherman's side of the field, pointing to the fact he liked WR Jordy Nelson's matchup better if he lined up away from the chatty corner. Talking on his radio show, Rodgers said he told Sherman after the game, "I hope you get some work this year."
Rodgers will get another chance at Sherman and the rest of Seattle's LOB Sunday in the NFC Championship at CenturyLink Field (12:05 p.m., FOX).
McCarthy said at his weekly presser Monday that Rodgers was doing better than he did the previous Monday as he gimps around on a calf muscle torn two week ago: "He made it through the game very well. I think he feels better this week than he does at this time last week."
Not only is Rodgers semi-mobile, Seattle's secondary is an increasingly impressive unit following the 31-17 win over the Carolina Panthers Saturday at the Clink.
Cam Newton was 23 of 36 for 246 yards, two touchdowns, two interceptions and a fumble.
"I did a bad job of protecting the football, and when you're playing a great defense you just have to take what they give you," Newton said. "A lot of times, I was overlooking the play that needed to be made, instead of trying to make the bigger play."
An example came in the first half when Newton tested Sherman on a deep ball down the right sideline intended for WR Philly Brown. The result: Sherman's first interception of his postseason career.
Newton's other interception came in the fourth quarter with Carolina driving to make it a one-score game. That's when S Kam Chancellor, already playing lights out, jumped a route and returned Newton's forced throw to TE Ed Dickson 90 yards for a touchdown. During the runback, the press box shook.
Rodgers, meanwhile, pressed through his calf injury to lead the Packers to a 26-21 win over the Cowboys at Lambeau Field in the divisional round. Throughout, his mobility was severely limited, but he overcame a bad first half to throw for 316 yards and three touchdowns. He was clutch, completing his final 10 passes for 163 yards and two scores. Amazingly, the Cowboys sacked him only once.
After the game, Rodgers said his calf won't be getting better any time soon, which is why it will be key for Seattle's front seven to pressure Rodgers as they pressured Newton.
"I think I've got 120 minutes left in me," Rodgers said post-game. "So I'm going to do everything I can to make sure I play all those minutes."
For the those who fancy a wager: The Packers opened as seven-point underdogs.
Green Bay was a middling road team during the regular season (4-4). Their recent history at CenturyLink Field ranges somewhere between disappointing and embarrassing.
Yet, they fully expect to win. They will fly out Friday, a day earlier than the usual West Coast trip.
"We're looking forward to going back up to Seattle," McCarthy said Sunday. "And we're looking forward to winning the NFC championship."
NFL Football News & Analysis [...]
Receive our NFL News & Analysis by email by subscribing here
NFL Super Bowl History
NFL Super Bowl History, Scores, Summaries & Super Bowl MVP Articles
NFL Football [...]
- Carroll Defends Call, History Won't Look Kindly
- Patriots Knew Seahawks Pass was Coming
- Botched Play Costs Seahawks Super Bowl XLIX
- Seahawks' Kearse has Big Super Bowl XLIX Memory
- Super Bowl XLIX Greatest Highlights
- Super Bowl XLIX Sets U.S. Television Viewership Record
- Super Bowl XLIX: Brady and Patriots' Legacy After Fourth Championship
- Patriots Beat Seahawks for Fourth Super Bowl Title
- Russell Wilson: You Have to Give Credit to Tom Brady
- Russell Wilson: No Problem with Final Play Call
- Super Bowl XLIX Lives Up to the Hype
- Patriots Defeat Seahawks in Super Bowl Thriller
- Marshawn Lynch Reacts to Super Bowl Loss
- Brawl Breaks Out in Final Seconds of Super Bowl XLIX
- Tom Brady Breaks Joe Montana's Super Bowl TD Record
- Three Key Factors from the Patriots' Super Bowl XLIX Win
- Penalties Might Be Seahawks Strategy
- Super Bowl XLIX: Patriots vs Seahawks NFL Films Preview
- 6 Super Bowl Commercials to Look Out For
- HuffPost Live's Super Bowl XLIX Breakdown
- Jon Stewart Takes on Deflategate and Super Bowl Media Day
- 5 Super Bowl Facts That Will Change the Way You Watch
- Tom Brady Has a Cold, Should the Patriots Be Worried?
- Real Reason Marshawn Lynch Won't Talk to the Media
- Patriots vs NFL Dynasties
- Infographic: Super Bowl XLIX by the Numbers
- Big-play Seahawks Toxic When It Counts Most
- Browner The Odd Man In at Super Bowl
- Seahawks Super Bowl XLIX Practice Report - 1/29/2015
- Patriots Super Bowl XLIX Practice Report - 1/29/2015
- Patriots Super Bowl XLIX Practice Report - 1/28/2015
- Seahawks Super Bowl XLIX Practice Report - 1/28/2015
- Super Bowl XLIX: All Comes Down to This
- Super Bowl XLIX X-Factors
- Top Defenses Usually Dominate in Super Bowl
- The Numbers Behind Super Bowl Betting
- Seahawks vs Pats Super Bowl XLIX
- Why the Seahawks Will Triumph in Super Bowl XLIX
- NFL Too Popular To Be Threatened By Anything
- Does Anyone Care About the Seahawks?
- SB XLIX Media Day: What You Don't Know
- Seattle Seahawks: This Super Bowl Will Be 'Different'
- Patriots' Blount: Seahawks D 'Can be Beaten'
- Patriots Won't Avoid Richard Sherman
- Richard Sherman: Roger Goodell 'Should Be Obligated to Talk Weekly'
- Hilarious Rob Gronkowski Highlights from Media Day
- Lynch Mocks Media Day
- Marshawn Lynch Finally Talks at Skittles Press Conference
- The Wild Side of Super Bowl Media Day
- Richard Sherman Has Torn Ligaments in His Elbow
- Marshawn Lynch's One-Liners
- Bill Belichick's Weird Questions
- Patriots the Model in Free Agency Era
- Angry Patriots Owner Fires Back at Critics
- Brett Favre Believes Aaron Rodgers Is Best Quarterback in NFL
- Richard Sherman Makes First Super Bowl XLIX Headline
- Seahawks and the Outlaw Balls of XLIX
- Seahawks' Lane Runs Mouth on Rob Gronkowski
- Boomer's Pick to Win Super Bowl XLIX
- NFL Places Seahawks, Lynch on Notice
- Beast's Crotch Grabs? You Can Bet on Them
- Analyzing the Super Bowl Ticket Market
- The Latest On #DeflateGate
- New York Tabloids Poke Fun at Patriots Over Deflategate
- Belichick, Brady Mocked in SNL Deflategate Sketch
- Should This Racy Super Bowl Commercial Be Banned?
- Victoria's Secret Releases Super Bowl Ad
- Victoria's Secret Models Bare Nothing
- Ad Challenges Value of 'Redskins' Name
- This Is What Physics Says About Deflategate
- Brady, Wilson Set For Super Bowl XLIX Showdown
- NFC Championship: Packers Collapse or Seahawks Comeback?
- Seahawks Make Crazy Comeback
- Four Teams Remain as NFL Enters Championship Weekend
- Seahawks D Faces Gimpy, Game Rodgers
- Rematch: Seahawks vs Packers for NFC Title
- Can Colts Topple Patriots?
- How Packers Can Beat Seahawks
- Can Aaron Rodgers Overcome His Injury to Upset the Seahawks?
- NFC and AFC Championships Predictions
- More Cold for NFL Conference Championships?
- Jets Hire Todd Bowles as Head Coach
- Will Rex Ryan End Buffalo's Playoff Drought?
- Peyton Manning's Future in Question
- Is Peyton Manning the Missing Piece in Arizona?
- NFL Rules Fans Would Like to See Changed
- NFL to Discuss Replay Review for Pass Interference
- Marcus Mariota Declares for the 2015 NFL Draft
- Stop Bullying Marshawn Lynch Petition Started
- Will Darrelle Revis Stay in New England
- Can the Cowboys Keep Dez Bryant and DeMarco Murray?
- John Fox Out in Denver
- Why the Patriots Will Hold Off the Ravens
- How the Colts Can Upset the Broncos
- How the Cowboys Make It to the Super Bowl
- Cam Newton Must Be 'Superman'
- NFL's Final Eight Take Center Stage In Divisional Playoffs
- Carolina, A Foe Seahawks Aggravate Most
- Predicting NFL Divisional Playoff Upsets
- How to Beat the Seattle Seahawks
- What To Look For: Divisional Playoffs Preview
- Reaction to Cowboys - Lions Controversy
- Lions Have a Reason to Complain
- Referee Explains Non-Call from Lions-Cowboys Game
- Did the No-Call Cost the Lions?
- Boomer: 'Change in Attitude Needed in Cincy'
- Time to Blow Up the Bengals?
- Terrell Suggs Makes Crucial INT with His Legs
- What You Missed from Wild Card Weekend
- Cowboys Rally Past Lions, Colts Win
- Panthers, Ravens Win NFL Wild Card Games
- Are the Rams Moving Back to Los Angeles?
- NFL 2014 Playoffs: Wild Card Weekend Preview
- Andrew Luck vs Andy Dalton: Which QB Has More to Prove?
- Who Can Beat the Seahawks?
- Ravens - Steelers Wild Card Preview
- Which Team Has the Edge in AFC Wild Card Clash?
- Will Cam Newton Get His First Playoff Win?
- NFL Power Rankings: Playoff Edition
- NFL 2014 Playoffs: Stats and Records
- 2014 NFL Regular Season Records and Milestones
- It's All On The Line in Final Weekend
- Seahawks The Greatest 'D'? Can't Compare
- The Top 5 NFL MVP Candidates
- Can Andy Dalton Handle the Big Stage?
- Grading the 2014 NFL Rookie Class
- Will the Seahawks Repeat as Super Bowl Champs?
- Odell Beckham Career and College Highlights
- Steelers Want Division Title
- Left for Dead, Seahawks Defense on Historic Run
- Can Johnny Football Succeed in the NFL?
- Which NFL Coaches Will Be Fired After This Season?
- NFL Players Under Most Pressure in Week 16
- Will Marcus Mariota Make an Easy Transition to the NFL?
- Larry Fitzgerald on Facing Richard Sherman: 'It's All Business Between the Lines'
- Pros and Cons of the NFL's Expanded Playoffs
- Suffocating Seahawks 'D' Rising at Right Time
- Goodell Not Worried About His Legacy
- NFL Head Coaches Are Worth More Than You Think
- Is the NFL Playoff System Broken?
- Will the NFL Do Anything About Richard Sherman Calling Out the League?
- Is Rex Ryan's Future in Coaching or Television?
- Odell Beckham Jr. Makes Catch of the Year
- The Greatest Catch I Ever Saw
- Is Tom Coughlin's Job on the Line?
- Is Jamaal Charles the Best Running Back in the NFL?
More NFL Football ...
Article: Courtesy Sportspress Northwest
"Seahawks D Faces Gimpy, Game Rodgers