- iHaveNet.com: NFL Football
By Dean Michaels, NFL Writer
NFL Should Allow Use of Medical Marijuana
New York Jets veteran cornerback Antonio Cromartie believes that the NFL should make medicinal marijuana legal, suggesting that the league is waging a lost cause in banning the substance.
"We're just going to do it anyway," Cromartie said. "They just need to let it go. They need to go ahead and say, 'Ya'll go ahead, smoke it, do what you need to do.'"
Cromartie made his reaction Friday but it was only noticed Wednesday after the Super Bowl XLVIII in the New York/New Jersey area.
Marijuana became a hot topic at the Super Bowl because the Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos hail from states that legalized its use. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll created a stir by saying he agreed with the notion the league should investigate medicinal marijuana to see if it can help players.
However, commissioner Roger Goodell downplayed the possibility of the league lifting marijuana from its list of banned substances at his annual Super Bowl news conference,
"It is still an illegal substance on a national basis," Goodell said. "It's something that is part of the collective bargaining agreement with the players. It is questionable as to the positive impacts, in the face of the very strong evidence of the negative effects, including addictions and other issues."
"We'll continue to follow the medicine. Our experts right now are not indicating that we should change our policy in any way. We are not actively considering that at this point in time. But if it goes down the road sometime, that's something that we would never take off the table," the commissioner added.
- NFL Should Allow Use of Medical Marijuana
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Nielsen Reports Record 111.5 Million TV Viewers
- Super Bowl XLVIII: The Seahawks and The Fairy Tale
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Carroll Says Seahawks Won't Suffer Fall Off
- Super Bowl XLVIII: 700,000 Fans Ignore Cold, Hail Seahawks Champs
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Baldwin Offers Post-Game Rant for ESPN Critic
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Seahawks Saw the Beatdown Coming
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Seahawks Might be New Yankees
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Seahawks Crush Broncos for First Super Bowl Title
- Seahawks Win Super Bowl XLVIII
- Walter Jones Leads 2014 Hall of Fame Class
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Seattle Seahawks vs. Denver Broncos Preview
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Sherman Writes Letter to Carroll
- Super Bowl XLVIII: 5 Seahawks Milestones That Led to Big One
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Seattle Seahawks Friday Practice Report
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos Friday Practice Report
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos Thursday Practice Report
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Seattle Seahawks Thursday Practice Report
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Manning Yelling 'Omaha' and Other Super Bowl Wagers
- Seattle Seahawks Wednesday Practice Report
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos Wednesday Practice Report
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Bevell Confident SB Isn't Too Big for Wilson
- Super Bowl XLVIII: 49ers' Kaepernick Blasts Sherman
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Lynch Again Breaks from Media Chores
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Marshawn Lynch Shows Up for Media Day
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Russell Wilson was Too Short for Broncos
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Top Offense vs Top Defense: And The Winner Is
- Super Bowl XLVIII: Elway is Broncos Front Office Whiz
- Michael Strahan Blasts Warren Sapp for Hall of Fame Comments
- NFL Voted Most Popular Sports for 30th Straight Year
- Super Bowl XLVIII to be Played at High of 36 Degrees
- NFL Players: 85 Percent Would Play in Super Bowl Even with Concussion
- Super Bowl XLVIII Tickets Max Out at $1 Million
- Richard Sherman: 'People Took It Further Than Football'
- High Honor: 'Richard Sherman' Now a Verb
- Getting to Know the Broncos
The NFL Should Embrace the Use of Medicinal Marijuana
Article: Copyright © - All Rights Reserved