- iHaveNet.com: NFL Football
By Dean Michaels, NFL Writer
The Seahawks have clinched a playoff spot while the Cardinals find themselves trying to earn a playoff spot.
Arizona head coach Bruce Arians has guided the Cardinals to nine wins in his first season as the helm. However, the Cardinals (9-5) currently trail the San Francisco 49ers, New Orleans Saints and Carolina Panthers by one game in the NFC wildcard race.
With a win -- or a San Francisco 49ers loss -- the Seattle Seahawks lock up the No. 1 seed in the NFC and home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.
Last week, Arizona won 37-34 in overtime at Tennessee.
Cardinals cornerback Antoine Cason had an interception-return touchdown and set up Jay Feely's 41-yard game-winning field goal with an interception in overtime. Offensively, rookie running back Andre Ellington had 87 receiving yards and 71 rushing yards.
"At this point in the season, it's about making plays and winning games," says Feely. "Nothing else matters. You just have to win."
Last week, the Seattle Seahawks posted their first shutout of the season and first shutout on the road since 2005 in routing the New York Giants by a score of 23-0 behind five defensive interceptions. The win improved Seattle's 2013 road record to 6-2, best in franchise history. Seattle's defense was dominant, forcing six three-and-outs, eight punts, recording five interceptions and holding Eli Manning and the Giants offense to 181 total yards and just 25 yards rushing.
Earlier this season, the Seahawks defeated the Arizona Cardinals on the road on Thursday Night Football by a score of 34-22.
Seattle jumped out to a 14-0 lead after Russell Wilson found Sidney Rice in the first quarter on a 31-yard TD pass and Zach Miller on a 15-yard TD early in the second quarter. Jay Feely connected on a 49-yard field goal for Arizona and Rashard Mendenhall scored on a three-yard run after Wilson was sacked at Seattle's six-yard line by Matt Shaughnessy, causing a fumble which Calais Campbell recovered for Arizona at the three-yard line. Seattle added a Steven Hauschka 51-yard field goal just before the half for a 17-10 halftime lead. Feely made his second field goal of the night early in the third to bring the score to 17-13, but the Seahawks responded with an 80-yard drive and Wilson hit TE Kellen Davis in the back of the end zone for a one-yard TD, giving Seattle the 24-13 lead.
Brandon Browner intercepted Carson Palmer on the following possession and returned it to the Arizona one-yard line, where two plays later Marshawn Lynch powered his way into the end zone for a 31-13 Seattle lead. Arizona added a 22-yard Feely field goal after John Abraham sacked Wilson at Seattle's 15-yard line, also causing a fumble which Shaughnessy recovered. Hauschka connected on his second field goal of the night, bringing the score to 34-16 and Arizona made a TD drive late for a final score of 34-22.
Would you pick against the Seahawks arguably the best team in the NFL and on a quest for the top seed and home-field advantage?
However, the Cardinals are 6-1 the second half of the season. Expect the Cardinals to make it a game at least until halftime, maybe into the third quarter. From there, the Seahawks ought to pull away for a relatively easy victory.
Seattle Seahawks 27, Arizona Cardinals 10
- NFL Teams Prepare For Final Stretch
- Panthers and Saints Face Off in NFC South Matchup
- Chiefs Return Home to Face Indianapolis Colts
- Playoff Implications Abound as Ravens Host Patriots
- Seahawks Host Division Rival Cardinals
- Eagles Host Bears with Division Leads on the Line
- AFC Playoff Picture with Two Weeks To Go
- NFC Playoff Picture with Two Weeks To Go
- NFL 2013 Week 16: What To Look For
- NFL 2013 Week 15: NFC Players of the Week
- NFL 2013 Week 15: AFC Players of the Week
- NFL 2013 Week 15: The Week That Was
- NFL 2013 Week 15 Preview: 25 Teams Still in Contention
- AFC Playoff Push Intensifies
- NFC Playoff Races Intensify
- NFL 2013 Week 15: Seahawks Host Division Rival Cardinals
- NFL 2013 Week 15: Playoff Scenarios
- NFL 2013 Week 14: NFC Players of the Week
- NFL 2013 Week 14: AFC Players of the Week
- NFL 2013 Week 14: The Week That Was
- NFL Season Enters Final Quarter
- December Drive
- Push for the Playoffs
- NFL 2013 Week 14: Playoff Scenarios
- NFL 2013 Week 14: Seahawks Host Division Rival Cardinals
- NFC Players of the Month - November
- AFC Players of the Month - November
- NFL Rookies of the Month - November
- NFL 2013 Week 13: AFC Players of the Week
- NFL 2013 Week 13: NFC Players of the Week
- Peyton Manning vs Tom Brady
- London Fletcher Reaches Milestone
Article: Copyright ©, iHaveNet.com
NFL 2013 Week 16 - Seattle Seahawks Host Division Rival Cardinals