Make Over Your Hair and Makeup for Spring
Hope DeAngelis Schmid
Spring never comes soon enough.
This year, we're welcoming the bohemian look: all white and bright floral dresses. It's also time to shake off those thigh-high boots and search out the perfect pair of wedges or espadrilles. But don't overlook a beauty transformation to go along with your new wardrobe, because nothing makes you feel as fresh as a haircut or a few new bright colors for your eyes, lips and nails, no matter what clothes you're wearing.
Read on for ways to make over your look for spring.
Winter Look: Shaggy, layered cuts
New Spring Makeover: Face-framing layers
If fall and winter are a time to primp and flaunt a deliberate hairstyle, spring and summer should be more carefree. A cut that will simplify your regimen is the way to go for the warmer months.
"Cuts are moving away from over-layered, shattered haircuts," says Adam Livermore for Oribe Hair Care. Instead, opt for "a cut with a strong, substantial perimeter with flattering layers just around the face. This look works for everyone and never looks too contrived. My favorite hair look right now is long, strong and substantial -- but only if it's well-maintained." Think Jennifer Lawrence's long, layered locks.
Winter Look: Zebra-striped highlights
New Spring Makeover: Strategically placed highlights
Spring means sunshine and bright colors, and that's reflected in the hair color trends this spring. Alain Pinon, co-owner and partner of Salon AKS, recommends going with lighter and chunkier highlights around the face. Specifically look for "gorgeous strawberry-toned highlights and baby blonds."
Winter Look: A purposely messy updo
New Spring Makeover: A naturally loose chignon
Livermore loves a twist that's neither too perfect nor obviously messy. "Start low, twist high, use a few giant bobby pins to secure the look, and make sure the bottom doesn't drape low or hang loose." Finish with a hair spray to lock in the look. "For this look, it's about easy elegance, so that you notice the woman and not the hair," says Livermore. He points to Anne Hathaway and Kate Winslet as two celebrities who have mastered the style.
Winter Look: Smoky eye
New Spring Makeover: Brightly colored eye shadows
Intense-colored eye shadows, including purples, pinks and yellows are what feel freshest this season, says celebrity makeup artist Matin Maulawizada. Try powder liners in green, wine or navy to experiment with color.
Winter Look: Deep Burgundy Lip
New Spring Makeover: Watermelon-hued lips
Deep-hued, wine-stained lips should be retired along with your favorite cashmere scarf. Instead, opt for bright and sheer watermelon pinks in sheer, says Maulawizada. Lips are shiny and bright, but not too glossy and never matte for spring.
Winter Look: Griege nails
New Spring Makeover: Bright poppy colors
If previous seasons were about grays and neutrals, this spring expect to see plenty of colors that reflect nature. Blue hues are popular, but not the navy nail of the past. Expect more sky blues and Caribbean Sea shades. Bright pinks are also making a comeback. Pantone's color of the year is Honeysuckle, a bright reddish pink, which makes for a peppy pedicure.
Photo: Getty Images
Hope DeAngelis Schmid has written for many websites, including DailyMakeover.com, Sephora's Beauty and the Blog, Glamour's Beauty Blog and TheDCLadies.com. She is the co-founder of the popular travel website, TheJetSetGirls.com.
Available at Amazon.com
- Make Over Your Spring Skin Care
- Hair Styles: 1920s-inspired Waves
- Hair Color Trend: Brunettes Are Back
- Make Over Your Hair and Makeup for Spring
- Making Sense of Fashion Sense
- Hair Products: Do You Need His-and-hers?
- How to Wear Spring's Pastel Makeup
- Express Beauty: Get Gorgeous in No Time
- Get a Short Hairdo -- or Try One Virtually
- Styling a Ponytail Video
- Quick Ways to Create Texture and Volume Video
- Makeup Trend: Orange Lipstick
- Spring's Must-have Statement Jewelry
- Four Steps to a New Spring Look
- Four Ways to Fake Great Legs
- Celebrity Hair Comeback: The Farrah Flip
- The Modern Smoky Eye
- Beauty From the Inside Out
- Celebrity Style: Best Oscar Hair
- Kate Middleton: Royal Wedding Beauty
- Amanda Peet's Beauty Secrets
- Mix-and-match Your Wardrobe for Spring
- Switch up Your Hair Care Routine
- Find the Right Conditioner for Your Hair
- New Bang Trend: Center-parted Bangs
- Your Guide to Face Primers
- Simple Ways to Touch up Hair and Makeup
- Get Inspired by Fashion Icons
- All About the Gel Manicure
- Top Hair and Beauty Trends From the Oscars
- Updo? Can Do!
- Add Shine to Your Hair
- How to Get Gorgeous as You Sleep
- Winter Shorts
- Blond Pixies
- Hair and Makeup Trends: New York Fall Fashion Week
- Hair Trends: Chin-Length Bob
- Kate Walsh's Beauty Tips
- Get a Natural-looking Faux Tan
- The Best Hair and Beauty Trends From the Grammys
- Create Flawless Skin With Concealer
- Best Oscar Makeup
- New York Fashion Week Makeup Forecast
- New Hair Trends for Spring
- Add Color to Your Winter-weather Wardrobe
- Celebrity Hair Trend: Fake-out Hairstyles
- The Most Painless Way to Grow Out a Layered Bob
- How to Choose a Pixie Cut
- Celebrity Makeup for the Oscars
- Simple Steps for Healthy Skin and Hair
- Tailored Shirts at Off-the-rack Prices
- Hot Looks for Date Night
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.