Making Sense of Fashion Sense
Last year, with winter winding down, I went to the closet and picked out a light-colored suit.
"No, no!" I was scolded. "You can't wear beige until it's actually spring."
Oh, I said.
Months later, I went to the closet and grabbed a nice black suit.
"No, no!" I was scolded. "You can't wear wool until the fall!"
Oh, I said.
As you can probably tell, I am a "guy", and by "guy" I mean "no fashion sense whatsoever." When I was a kid my mother told me not to wear red with green or I'd look like a Christmas tree. Other than that, I know nothing.
So here we are, another change of season and I am once again lost as to what to wear. Are short sleeve dress shirts for nerds only? Do you tuck in a sweater? Sandals - when, where, why?
But it's time to declare that I am not alone. Many men stand lost in front of the mirror, confused, confounded, lacking the ability to distinguish Armani from
We're just too embarrassed to admit it.
Well, I'm coming out of my closet (stop smirking!) to announce that I have no idea what's going on in there, shoes, socks, ties, shirts, they're mingling, dancing, making up new colors, Lord knows what, and so I finally, in print, must ask the supposedly simple fashion questions that we "guys" struggle with every day.
Are skinny ties ever coming back or can I use them as luggage wraps?
Is it horizontal or vertical stripes that make you look fat?
When is it OK to wear sneakers with a suit? Is it only if you're
Do blue and brown go together?
They say don't mix a striped shirt with a patterned tie, but how come those
Are flare bottoms still a no-no?
If you wear a denim shirt, do you have to wear denim pants?
What age is too old for corduroy?
Is that how you spell corduroy?
I hear silk suits are the best, but then I hear silk suits are only for guys in the "Godfather." Which is it?
Shorts. Can they go past your knees if you're out of high school? Is there a proper time to wear dark socks with shorts? Is there a proper time to wear any socks with shorts?
More questions, like: How low should the tie hang? And is it OK to tuck the back of the tie into your shirt if it exceeds the front by a foot?
Why do they make linen shirts if the first time you wear them, they are wrinkled beyond use?
Leather shorts. Always bad, right?
Same for male leggings?
Does brown go with green?
OK, and this is a common one for me: Do khaki pants count as dress wear?
Do suspenders serve a function?
Explain to me again: You wear black shoes with what, and brown shoes with what?
Must all sweater fabrics itch?
On a suit, should the pants cuff touch the shoe, cover the laces, or cover the whole foot?
When can you get away with no socks?
If you can answer these questions, I'd feel much more confident when I enter that strange wasteland known as "my closet." Until then, like many of my "guy" brethren, I remain confused by the most basic fashion issues.
Like, if you wear red and green, do you look like a Christm--
Never mind. That one, I know.
Available at Amazon.com
- Make Over Your Spring Skin Care
- Hair Styles: 1920s-inspired Waves
- Hair Color Trend: Brunettes Are Back
- Make Over Your Hair and Makeup for Spring
- Making Sense of Fashion Sense
- Hair Products: Do You Need His-and-hers?
- How to Wear Spring's Pastel Makeup
- Express Beauty: Get Gorgeous in No Time
- Get a Short Hairdo -- or Try One Virtually
- Styling a Ponytail Video
- Quick Ways to Create Texture and Volume Video
- Makeup Trend: Orange Lipstick
- Spring's Must-have Statement Jewelry
- Four Steps to a New Spring Look
- Four Ways to Fake Great Legs
- Celebrity Hair Comeback: The Farrah Flip
- The Modern Smoky Eye
- Beauty From the Inside Out
- Celebrity Style: Best Oscar Hair
- Kate Middleton: Royal Wedding Beauty
- Amanda Peet's Beauty Secrets
- Mix-and-match Your Wardrobe for Spring
- Switch up Your Hair Care Routine
- Find the Right Conditioner for Your Hair
- New Bang Trend: Center-parted Bangs
- Your Guide to Face Primers
- Simple Ways to Touch up Hair and Makeup
- Get Inspired by Fashion Icons
- All About the Gel Manicure
- Top Hair and Beauty Trends From the Oscars
- Updo? Can Do!
- Add Shine to Your Hair
- How to Get Gorgeous as You Sleep
- Winter Shorts
- Blond Pixies
- Hair and Makeup Trends: New York Fall Fashion Week
- Hair Trends: Chin-Length Bob
- Kate Walsh's Beauty Tips
- Get a Natural-looking Faux Tan
- The Best Hair and Beauty Trends From the Grammys
- Create Flawless Skin With Concealer
- Best Oscar Makeup
- New York Fashion Week Makeup Forecast
- New Hair Trends for Spring
- Add Color to Your Winter-weather Wardrobe
- Celebrity Hair Trend: Fake-out Hairstyles
- The Most Painless Way to Grow Out a Layered Bob
- How to Choose a Pixie Cut
- Celebrity Makeup for the Oscars
- Simple Steps for Healthy Skin and Hair
- Tailored Shirts at Off-the-rack Prices
- Hot Looks for Date Night
Copyright © 2011 THE DETROIT FREE PRESS DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC.