United States Olympic Sailing Team Receives Huge Send-Off
The United States Olympic sailing team was given a huge send-off by more than 1,000 sailors, fans, friends and family before traveling to London to compete in the 2012 Olympics.
"Sending off the team with one final celebration on American soil has become a treasured moment for the Olympic sailing team," said Dean Brenner, chairman of the US Olympic and Paralympic Sailing Program and team leader during the program at Larchmont Yacht Club.
"We could not have asked for a more meaningful experience for the Team," said Brenner, who thanked volunteers, supporters and sponsors who made the day "a tremendous celebration."
During the send-off, guests had the opportunity to meet the 16-strong sailing team and were treated to signed cards featuring each athlete as well as one-on-one time to have signatures and photos.
The 16-member team is expected to provide tough competition for host Britain in the sailing event.
Among the 16-strong selection is Anna Tunnicliffe, who won the laser radial class in Beijing four years ago, as well as Zach Railey, who came second to Britain's triple Olympic gold medalist Ben Ainslie in the Finn event in 2008.
Aside from them, other members of the squad are Amanda Clark, Sarah, Molly Vandemoer, Debbie Capozzi, Erik Storck, Trevor Moore, Farrah Hall, Mark Mendelblatt, Brian Fatih, Paige Railey, Rob Crane, Stu McNay and Graham Biehl.
The team will participate in 10 Olympic events which will take place from July 29 to August 11.
Railey is seen as the only man capable of stopping Ainslie's march to his fourth Olympic gold medal. Also competing in the Finn event are Athens 2004 bronze medalist Vasilij Zbogar of Slovenia, Sweden's Daniel Birgmark, Brazil's Jorge Zarif and Czech Republic's Michael Maier
Ainslie won the gold in the Sydney 2000, Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008 Olympics and silver in the 2006 Atlanta Games.
2012 London Olympics - videos
- World Champ Jordyn Wieber Disappoints in All-Around Gymnastics
- Kevin Durant Nets 22 Points as Team USA Clobbers France
- Superb Skeet Shooter: Kimberly Rhode Shoots Way to Gold
- Yi Siling Clinches First Gold at Games; Wins Shooting Event
- Kazakhstan's Vinokourov Captures Gold in Road Racing
- Albanian Weightlifter Expelled After Testing Positive for Stanozolol
- Big Letdown for Phelps as Lochte and Chinese Swimmers Take Limelight
- London Welcomes the World with Spectacular and Inclusive Opening Ceremony
- Breakdown of the London Olympics Opening Ceremony
- London Olympics Photos: Stunning Pictures from the Opening Ceremony
- Dong-Hyun Eclipses own World-Record in Archery
- United States and Brazil Favorites to Battle for Olympic Volleyball Gold
- Healthy Usain Could Also 'Bolt From Blue' in 4x400M Relay
- London Olympics Kicks Off with Fireworks
- Michael Phelps Set to Swim for More Gold at London Games
- Greek Tragedy: Two Athletes Shipped Home from Olympics
- London Games Organizers Apologize After Korean Flag Blunder
- Roger Federer and Fellow Tennis Stars Take Swing at Olympic Gold
- Japan Shocks Spain in Olympic Soccer Opener
- Ben Ainslie, British Sailors to Launch Olympic Bid at Weymouth Beach
- Greek High Jumper Tests Positive for Steroids
- Greek Triple Jumper Expelled for Controversial Tweet
- Greece Carries Weight of Economic Crisis to London Olympics
- How to Be a Millionaire? Win Gold for Georgia
- Malaysia Allows Its Olympians to Postpone Ramadan Fast
- Melo's Big First Half Sparks USA to Victory Over Spain
- More Troops Called in for London Olympics
- Olympic Mascots Have Important Place in Event History
- Five Egyptian Rowers Head to London
- 'Strong!' an Olympic weightlifting story
- Brazil Keeper Rafael Suffers Elbow Injury Out for Olympics
- Olympic Pole Dancing
- Volleyball's Scott-Arruda, Haneef-Park Balance Motherhood and Olympics
- Terrorist Attack on Olympics Something To Be Concerned About
- United States Olympic Sailing Team Receives Huge Send-Off
- London 2012: Greenest Olympic Games Ever?
- Ben Ainslie Eyes Fourth Olympic Gold in Finn Sailing Event
- Oscar Pistorius: Redefining What It Means to be 'Able'
- United States Announces Final Basketball Roster for London Games
- Swimmer Dara Torres Retires After Bid for Sixth Olympic Stint Fails
- Jeneba Tarmoh Declines Run-Off in 100M, Gives Up Olympic Berth
- Michael Phelps Cuts Swim Events to Seven for London Games
- Chris Bosh to Rest Abdominals and Skip Olympics
- Swimmer Dara Torres Eyes Record Sixth Olympic Stint
- David Beckham Surprise Omission from Great Britain's Olympic Soccer Team
- The Olympics are All About Money
- East London: Early Winner in the Olympics
- Reigning Decathlon Gold Medalist Bryan Clay Off Olympic Team
- Ben Ainslie in Cruise Control Despite Disappointing Olympic Warm-Up
- Rivals Spat Spices Up Sailing Event in 2012 London Games
- IOC Looks Into Alleged Violations in Ticket Sales for London Games
- Paul Drinkhall to Lead British Paddlers in 2012 London Games
- Military to Take Control of London Air Space for Summer Olympics
- Designers in British Spirit for Summer Games
- Australian Crews Gear Up for 2012 Olympics
- Coach K to Step Down as Team USA Coach After London Games
- Samsung and Visa Team Up for Limited Edition Galaxy S III
- Michael Phelps to Retire After 2012 Summer Olympics
- Britain May Deploy Missiles for 2012 London Summer Olympics
- Olympic-Bound Sailors Set Bearings Using Navy SEAL-Style Training
- Sailing Star Ben Ainslie on Course for 2012 London Olympics
- Burkas to Tracksuits
- David Beckham's Olympic Dream Still Alive
- Stella McCartney Unveils Adidas Line for London 2012 Olympics
- Saudi Women on Their Way to London Olympics
- Female Beach Volleyball Players Can Shed Bikinis at 2012 Olympics
- United States Men's Soccer Team Fails In Olympic Qualifying Bid
- New Zealand Women's Match-Racing Crew on Course for London Olympics
- Olympic Brands Accused of Labor Abuse Scandal
- Siblings Zach and Paige Railey Ready for Sailing Event at Olympics
- Teen Table Tennis Star Ariel Hsing Balancing School and Olympic Dream
- Saudis to Let Women Compete in Olympics
- Usain Bolt Eyes Four Golds at 2012 London Olympics
Copyright © 2012 AHN. All rights reserved