Ben Ainslie Eyes Fourth Olympic Gold in Finn Sailing Event
All eyes will be on Ben Ainslie of Great Britain as he guns for his fourth Olympic gold in the Finn sailing event of the London Games.
Ainslie will go up against 23 other Finn sailors from different countries when Olympic competition starts on the North Course on July 29.
"We've got a pretty strong squad and have done for the last three or four Olympics. You might have great strength in depth going into the Games but you've got to work very hard on the day," Ainslie earlier said.
Ainslie said he wasn't concerned by pressure put on him by fans and press to win gold in the Summer Games.
"The pressures will be higher than ever but I don't think they will match my internal desire for success," added Ainslie, who won the gold in the Sydney 2000, Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008 Olympics and silver in the 2006 Atlanta Games.
If Ainslie wins the gold in London, he will eclipse Paul Elvstrom of Denmark as the most successful Olympic sailor of all time. Elvstrom won four Olympic sailing gold medals from 1948 to 1960.
Elvstrom captured his first gold medal at the London 1948 Olympic Games in the Firefly before moving to the Finn where he won gold in Helsinki 1952, Melbourne 1956 and Rome 1960 Olympics.
Ainslie is the overwhelming favorite in the event, especially after he dominated the Finn Gold Cup recently against some of rivals for Olympic gold. Ainslie won seven out of nine races to clinch a 20-point lead over Ed Wright of Great Britain and a mammoth 54-point edge over Denmark's Jonas Hogh Christensen.
Out to contest Ainslie are Zach Railey of the United States, Athens 2004 bronze medalist Vasilij Zbogar of Slovenia, Sweden's Daniel Birgmark, Brazil's Jorge Zarif and Czech Republic's Michael Maier, the oldest competitor at 48.
"There's a good camaraderie in the Finn class. Tensions can be high but you've got to look after yourself. The level is very high so it makes it a lot of fun," Christensen said.
2012 London Olympics - videos
- World Champ Jordyn Wieber Disappoints in All-Around Gymnastics
- Kevin Durant Nets 22 Points as Team USA Clobbers France
- Superb Skeet Shooter: Kimberly Rhode Shoots Way to Gold
- Yi Siling Clinches First Gold at Games; Wins Shooting Event
- Kazakhstan's Vinokourov Captures Gold in Road Racing
- Albanian Weightlifter Expelled After Testing Positive for Stanozolol
- Big Letdown for Phelps as Lochte and Chinese Swimmers Take Limelight
- London Welcomes the World with Spectacular and Inclusive Opening Ceremony
- Breakdown of the London Olympics Opening Ceremony
- London Olympics Photos: Stunning Pictures from the Opening Ceremony
- Dong-Hyun Eclipses own World-Record in Archery
- United States and Brazil Favorites to Battle for Olympic Volleyball Gold
- Healthy Usain Could Also 'Bolt From Blue' in 4x400M Relay
- London Olympics Kicks Off with Fireworks
- Michael Phelps Set to Swim for More Gold at London Games
- Greek Tragedy: Two Athletes Shipped Home from Olympics
- London Games Organizers Apologize After Korean Flag Blunder
- Roger Federer and Fellow Tennis Stars Take Swing at Olympic Gold
- Japan Shocks Spain in Olympic Soccer Opener
- Ben Ainslie, British Sailors to Launch Olympic Bid at Weymouth Beach
- Greek High Jumper Tests Positive for Steroids
- Greek Triple Jumper Expelled for Controversial Tweet
- Greece Carries Weight of Economic Crisis to London Olympics
- How to Be a Millionaire? Win Gold for Georgia
- Malaysia Allows Its Olympians to Postpone Ramadan Fast
- Melo's Big First Half Sparks USA to Victory Over Spain
- More Troops Called in for London Olympics
- Olympic Mascots Have Important Place in Event History
- Five Egyptian Rowers Head to London
- 'Strong!' an Olympic weightlifting story
- Brazil Keeper Rafael Suffers Elbow Injury Out for Olympics
- Olympic Pole Dancing
- Volleyball's Scott-Arruda, Haneef-Park Balance Motherhood and Olympics
- Terrorist Attack on Olympics Something To Be Concerned About
- United States Olympic Sailing Team Receives Huge Send-Off
- London 2012: Greenest Olympic Games Ever?
- Ben Ainslie Eyes Fourth Olympic Gold in Finn Sailing Event
- Oscar Pistorius: Redefining What It Means to be 'Able'
- United States Announces Final Basketball Roster for London Games
- Swimmer Dara Torres Retires After Bid for Sixth Olympic Stint Fails
- Jeneba Tarmoh Declines Run-Off in 100M, Gives Up Olympic Berth
- Michael Phelps Cuts Swim Events to Seven for London Games
- Chris Bosh to Rest Abdominals and Skip Olympics
- Swimmer Dara Torres Eyes Record Sixth Olympic Stint
- David Beckham Surprise Omission from Great Britain's Olympic Soccer Team
- The Olympics are All About Money
- East London: Early Winner in the Olympics
- Reigning Decathlon Gold Medalist Bryan Clay Off Olympic Team
- Ben Ainslie in Cruise Control Despite Disappointing Olympic Warm-Up
- Rivals Spat Spices Up Sailing Event in 2012 London Games
- IOC Looks Into Alleged Violations in Ticket Sales for London Games
- Paul Drinkhall to Lead British Paddlers in 2012 London Games
- Military to Take Control of London Air Space for Summer Olympics
- Designers in British Spirit for Summer Games
- Australian Crews Gear Up for 2012 Olympics
- Coach K to Step Down as Team USA Coach After London Games
- Samsung and Visa Team Up for Limited Edition Galaxy S III
- Michael Phelps to Retire After 2012 Summer Olympics
- Britain May Deploy Missiles for 2012 London Summer Olympics
- Olympic-Bound Sailors Set Bearings Using Navy SEAL-Style Training
- Sailing Star Ben Ainslie on Course for 2012 London Olympics
- Burkas to Tracksuits
- David Beckham's Olympic Dream Still Alive
- Stella McCartney Unveils Adidas Line for London 2012 Olympics
- Saudi Women on Their Way to London Olympics
- Female Beach Volleyball Players Can Shed Bikinis at 2012 Olympics
- United States Men's Soccer Team Fails In Olympic Qualifying Bid
- New Zealand Women's Match-Racing Crew on Course for London Olympics
- Olympic Brands Accused of Labor Abuse Scandal
- Siblings Zach and Paige Railey Ready for Sailing Event at Olympics
- Teen Table Tennis Star Ariel Hsing Balancing School and Olympic Dream
- Saudis to Let Women Compete in Olympics
- Usain Bolt Eyes Four Golds at 2012 London Olympics
Copyright © 2012 AHN. All rights reserved