Greek High Jumper Tests Positive for Steroids
London, United Kingdom
World indoor high jump champion Dimitrios Chondrokoukis of Greece has pulled out of the Olympics after testing positive for anabolic steroids.
"We will not tolerate doping. We want to get many medals. However, we want clean medals," Greek Olympic Committee president Spyros Kapralos said.
Chondrokoukis, one of the main rivals to Britain's Robbie Grabarz for the Olympic gold, is now facing a two-year ban after testing positive for stanozolol, the banned steroid that was used by disgraced Canadian sprinter Ben Johnson when he won the 100 meters at the 1988 Seoul Olympics.
Kyriakos Chondrokoukis, the athlete's father and coach, confirmed that his son had failed a drug test following an unannounced, out-of-competition visit by testers nine days ago.
"My son will not be participating in the Olympics, leaving an unfulfilled dream," said Kyriakos, who then submitted his resignation to the Greek athletics federation after 14 years as a coach.
Kyriakos said they have no intention of challenging the result of the test. "The paradox of the use of such an easily detectible banned substance by a recent world champion who is under the microscope of doping control authorities, and on the eve of the Games, is blatantly obvious," he said.
Chondrokoukis won his first major title when he set a personal best of 2.33 meters to claim the world indoor crown in Istanbul in March while Grabarz finished just sixth with a clearance of 2.31 meters.
The Greek track and field team has already taken a hit with the loss of Voula Papachristou, who was expelled after posting a racial tweet about African immigrants in Greece.
The Hellenic Olympic Committee removed Papachristou after she tweeted "with so many Africans in Greece at least the West Nile mosquitoes will eat homemade food." The triple jumper later issued an apology after the ruling was announced.
Just days before the Olympics Games begins and a Greek triple jumper is pulled from the national team for posting a racist tweet
Greek athlete pulled from Olympic team after tweet
2012 London Olympics - videos
- World Champ Jordyn Wieber Disappoints in All-Around Gymnastics
- Kevin Durant Nets 22 Points as Team USA Clobbers France
- Superb Skeet Shooter: Kimberly Rhode Shoots Way to Gold
- Yi Siling Clinches First Gold at Games; Wins Shooting Event
- Kazakhstan's Vinokourov Captures Gold in Road Racing
- Albanian Weightlifter Expelled After Testing Positive for Stanozolol
- Big Letdown for Phelps as Lochte and Chinese Swimmers Take Limelight
- London Welcomes the World with Spectacular and Inclusive Opening Ceremony
- Breakdown of the London Olympics Opening Ceremony
- London Olympics Photos: Stunning Pictures from the Opening Ceremony
- Dong-Hyun Eclipses own World-Record in Archery
- United States and Brazil Favorites to Battle for Olympic Volleyball Gold
- Healthy Usain Could Also 'Bolt From Blue' in 4x400M Relay
- London Olympics Kicks Off with Fireworks
- Michael Phelps Set to Swim for More Gold at London Games
- Greek Tragedy: Two Athletes Shipped Home from Olympics
- London Games Organizers Apologize After Korean Flag Blunder
- Roger Federer and Fellow Tennis Stars Take Swing at Olympic Gold
- Japan Shocks Spain in Olympic Soccer Opener
- Ben Ainslie, British Sailors to Launch Olympic Bid at Weymouth Beach
- Greek High Jumper Tests Positive for Steroids
- Greek Triple Jumper Expelled for Controversial Tweet
- Greece Carries Weight of Economic Crisis to London Olympics
- How to Be a Millionaire? Win Gold for Georgia
- Malaysia Allows Its Olympians to Postpone Ramadan Fast
- Melo's Big First Half Sparks USA to Victory Over Spain
- More Troops Called in for London Olympics
- Olympic Mascots Have Important Place in Event History
- Five Egyptian Rowers Head to London
- 'Strong!' an Olympic weightlifting story
- Brazil Keeper Rafael Suffers Elbow Injury Out for Olympics
- Olympic Pole Dancing
- Volleyball's Scott-Arruda, Haneef-Park Balance Motherhood and Olympics
- Terrorist Attack on Olympics Something To Be Concerned About
- United States Olympic Sailing Team Receives Huge Send-Off
- London 2012: Greenest Olympic Games Ever?
- Ben Ainslie Eyes Fourth Olympic Gold in Finn Sailing Event
- Oscar Pistorius: Redefining What It Means to be 'Able'
- United States Announces Final Basketball Roster for London Games
- Swimmer Dara Torres Retires After Bid for Sixth Olympic Stint Fails
- Jeneba Tarmoh Declines Run-Off in 100M, Gives Up Olympic Berth
- Michael Phelps Cuts Swim Events to Seven for London Games
- Chris Bosh to Rest Abdominals and Skip Olympics
- Swimmer Dara Torres Eyes Record Sixth Olympic Stint
- David Beckham Surprise Omission from Great Britain's Olympic Soccer Team
- The Olympics are All About Money
- East London: Early Winner in the Olympics
- Reigning Decathlon Gold Medalist Bryan Clay Off Olympic Team
- Ben Ainslie in Cruise Control Despite Disappointing Olympic Warm-Up
- Rivals Spat Spices Up Sailing Event in 2012 London Games
- IOC Looks Into Alleged Violations in Ticket Sales for London Games
- Paul Drinkhall to Lead British Paddlers in 2012 London Games
- Military to Take Control of London Air Space for Summer Olympics
- Designers in British Spirit for Summer Games
- Australian Crews Gear Up for 2012 Olympics
- Coach K to Step Down as Team USA Coach After London Games
- Samsung and Visa Team Up for Limited Edition Galaxy S III
- Michael Phelps to Retire After 2012 Summer Olympics
- Britain May Deploy Missiles for 2012 London Summer Olympics
- Olympic-Bound Sailors Set Bearings Using Navy SEAL-Style Training
- Sailing Star Ben Ainslie on Course for 2012 London Olympics
- Burkas to Tracksuits
- David Beckham's Olympic Dream Still Alive
- Stella McCartney Unveils Adidas Line for London 2012 Olympics
- Saudi Women on Their Way to London Olympics
- Female Beach Volleyball Players Can Shed Bikinis at 2012 Olympics
- United States Men's Soccer Team Fails In Olympic Qualifying Bid
- New Zealand Women's Match-Racing Crew on Course for London Olympics
- Olympic Brands Accused of Labor Abuse Scandal
- Siblings Zach and Paige Railey Ready for Sailing Event at Olympics
- Teen Table Tennis Star Ariel Hsing Balancing School and Olympic Dream
- Saudis to Let Women Compete in Olympics
- Usain Bolt Eyes Four Golds at 2012 London Olympics
Copyright © 2012 AHN. All rights reserved