Michael Phelps to Retire After 2012 Summer Olympics
2012 London Summer Olympics
New York, NY
U.S. storied swimmer Michael Phelps announced on "60 Minutes" that he will hang up his swimming trunks and plans to retire following the 2012 Summer Olympics.
The record setting and record breaking star also said that it has taken him a great deal of time and training to get back into shape for the Summer Games, but he added he is reaching for more gold.
Phelps has already earned a stash of eight Olympic medals over his impressive and unprecedented career. If he manages to earn three medals at the Summer Games, he will retire as the athlete with the most Olympic career medals.
Many had questioned if Phelps would return for the upcoming Olympics, including Phelps himself, and his coach Bob Bowman.
The highly celebrated and fan favorite Phelps suffered a reputation and career setback after a series of tabloid and news photos captured the Olympic hero partying, and after Phelps left his training slip and finished out of the showing at some important events.
However, Bowman believes that Phelps is in great shape to once again impress at the Summer Games, and Phelps is also confident of his prowess.
The Olympic Golden Boy is also excited about life after the Olympics.
There are pools in his sight post Olympics-- hotel pools.
- Samsung and Visa Team Up for Limited Edition Galaxy S III
- Michael Phelps to Retire After 2012 Summer Olympics
- Britain May Deploy Missiles for 2012 London Summer Olympics
- Olympic-Bound Sailors Set Bearings Using Navy SEAL-Style Training
- Sailing Star Ben Ainslie on Course for 2012 London Olympics
- Burkas to Tracksuits
- David Beckham's Olympic Dream Still Alive
- Stella McCartney Unveils Adidas Line for London 2012 Olympics
- Saudi Women on Their Way to London Olympics
- Female Beach Volleyball Players Can Shed Bikinis at 2012 Olympics
- United States Men's Soccer Team Fails In Olympic Qualifying Bid
- New Zealand Women's Match-Racing Crew on Course for London Olympics
- Olympic Brands Accused of Labor Abuse Scandal
- Siblings Zach and Paige Railey Ready for Sailing Event at Olympics
- Teen Table Tennis Star Ariel Hsing Balancing School and Olympic Dream
- Saudis to Let Women Compete in Olympics
- Usain Bolt Eyes Four Golds at 2012 London Olympics
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved