The U-23 Men's National Team was eliminated from CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying after a 3-3 tie with El Salvador.
The draw means the U.S. will miss out on the 2012 London Olympics.
The U.S. finished in third place in Group A with four points and failed to move on to the semifinals. Two CONCACAF teams will qualify for the Olympics.
The tie means the U.S. will miss out on the Olympics for the second time since 1976. The Americans failed to qualify for the 2004 Games in Athens. The U.S. qualified in 1980, but did not compete due to a boycott of the Moscow games.
The U.S. got two goals from forward Terrence Boyd and one from midfielder Joe Corona, but a goal in the fourth minute of stoppage time gave El Salvador the draw.
Substitute goalkeeper Sean Johnson misplayed what looked like a routine shot by Jaime Alas. The ball bounced in front of Johnson but he went down on his side and the ball slipped through his hands and into the net.
"It's a painful moment. The players are devastated," U.S. coach Caleb Porter said. "To put in as much as they put in that game, the amount of heart they put in, to play the way they played in that second half to come from behind and score two goals, to be seconds away from getting the No. 1 seed, it's unimaginable.
"I told them in the locker room is that this won't define their careers. As low as this moment is for them and as painful as it is, they've got big days ahead - a lot of those guys that were out on that field.
- Chelsea Holds Off Aston Villa Behind Ivanovic, Torres
- United States Men's Soccer Team Fails In Olympic Qualifying Bid
- Athletic Bilbao Boots Out Manchester United
- Everton and Sunderland Battle to Draw in FA Cup Match
- Lionel Messi Makes Champions League History
- Manchester City Stays on Top of Premier League
- Reyna and Meola Elected to National Soccer HOF
- Liverpool and Stoke move on in FA Cup
- Rooney Scores Twice as Man U Edges Liverpool
- England Soccer Coach Fabio Capello Quits
- Fans of Rival Soccer Teams Clash in Egypt, 73 Killed
- Obertan Scores in Stoppage Time, Newcastle downs Blackburn
- Hernandez, Berbatov's Goals Steer Man United Past Stoke City
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved