A team of Czech scientists have found a way to convert the toxic byproducts of leather production into fuel.
Click to Watch:
This vat of grey sludge could hold a new supply of biofuel. A team of Czech scientists have found a way to convert the toxic byproducts of leather production into fuel. According to Professor Karel Kolomaznik from Tomas Bata University, it all starts with leftover fat parts called fleshings... (SOUNDBITE) (Czech) PROFESSOR KAREL KOLOMAZNIK, SAYING: "These are the fleshings which remain after the removal of subcutaneous ligament and fat. This tannery waste is the main source of biodiesel production." Fleshings are also be a source of toxic waste, according to Kolomaznik. But thanks to the method that he and his team have developed, the fleshings are refined into fuel instead of becoming an environmental hazard . (SOUNDBITE) (Czech) PROFESSOR KAREL KOLOMAZNIK, SAYING: "We are solving a serious ecological problem, in principle, by processing the waste tannery fat - fleshings. It is very dangerous to burn them, because they pollute the environment with dioxins and nitrogen oxides." Until now fleshings were not considered suitable for biodiesel manufacture because they contain high levels of proteins and free fatty acids, both of which need to be completely removed to produce fuel. Scientist Jiri Pecha says the team achieved this by melting down the leftover fat and extracting the acids using a chemical process which further refines the fuel. (SOUNDBITE) (Czech) SCIENTIST JIRI PECHA SAYING: "The production of the biodiesel takes place here, where we put the refined fat into the pilot plant reactors. After the reaction the glycerin is separated from the biodiesel." The team hopes to attract investment to scale up production with the hopes of proving that refined leather sludge could be clean energy source in the years to come.
- 5 Radical Takeaways from the Pope's Letter on Climate
- A Green-Energy Founding Father
- We're All Taking Dirty Pictures
- Faking It While the World Burns
- This Oil Spill Hits Close to Home
- A Fossil-Fueled Fantasy
- The Pentagon Makes War on Alaska's Pristine Wilderness
- An Open Letter to Obama: If You Want Money for the Climate, Tax Wall Street
- Climate Denial Syndrome Sweeps Wisconsin
- How Climate Change and Resource Scarcity Are Upending World Politics
- Virginia Is for Dirty-Energy Lovers
- Humanity's War on Wildlife
- Making Green Cool Again in Hungary
- David and Goliath in the Amazon
- NASA Warns of 'Megadroughts'
- Our Growing Carbon Emissions
- Global Warming Triggered Syria War
- Round-the-World Solar Flight Takes Off
- 10 Extreme Weather Facts
- New York City Sea Level Rises
- Alaskan Glaciers Disappearing
- Leather Sludge New Bio-Fuel Source
- Why the Ocean is Turning More Acidic
- Why Whales Beach Themselves
- Termites Fight Climate Change
- Gas-Guzzlers On Road To Extinction
- Technology & Transformation
- Ecuador: All You Need Is Love and Oil?
- China Pulls Critical Pollution Documentary Offline
- Forging Our Future
- Green Believers
- The Glaciers Are Talking to Us
- Bald Eagles Nesting In New York City For First Time In 100 Years
- Asian Pollution Messing With U.S. Weather
- Instagram Account Shows Reality of Climate Change
- Keystone Pipeline Would Emit Tons of Greenhouse Gases
- Why You Can't Throw Away Batteries
- Road Salt Is Worse Than You Think
- Arctic Not Cold Enough for Polar Bears
- Doomsday Clock & Climate Change
- Sea-Level Accelerating Faster Than Previously Thought
- 6 Countries Dictate Planet's Future
- Manhattan Size Glacier Breaks Apart
- Opinions Split on Fracking Benefits
- Bad News for Sea Level Rise
- 2014 Hottest Year On Record According To NASA
- While Our Planet Melts, GOP Pleads Ignorance
- The Myth of the Wild
- Plastic Bags are Not a Need - Just a Bad Habit
- Environmental Security: Conflict or Cooperation?
- Beyond The Water-Food-Energy-Climate Nexus
- Climate Change Report Sounds Alarm for Planet Earth
- Genesis, Mother Nature and Environmental Stewardship
- Global Climate Change: Calling All Pagans
- Chicken Little 'Science'
- Climate Change and Interstate Conflict
- Fracking: A Deadly Power Surge
- Inhospitable Earth -- Compared to What?
Article: Copyright © 2015
"Leather Sludge New Bio-Fuel Source "