- LATIN AMERICA
- MIDDLE EAST
- United Kingdom
- United States
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- iHaveNet.com: Recipes
Hungry guests will love this savory Spicy Beef and Peanut Empanadas recipe served alongside a tangy Asian slaw.
Sharing a meal with family and friends brings people together, especially when favorite recipes are on the table. Whether there’s a cause for celebration or a gathering of loved ones is simply overdue, serving up delicious dishes is a sure bet to get everyone involved.
Leaning into a versatile ingredient like peanuts, which make all these dishes possible, can take your gatherings to the next level. They complement a wide range of recipes.
Plus, peanuts contain 26% protein and fulfill approximately 30% of a 4-6-year-old’s and 26% of a 7-10-year-old’s recommended daily allowance per serving, making them a kid-favorite source of energy. They contain six essential vitamins – vitamin E, folate, riboflavin, thiamin, niacin and vitamin B6 – and seven essential minerals – phosphorus, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, copper and calcium.
Often referred to as “nutrition in a nutshell,” there’s a good chance your peanut supply came from the United States’ leading grower: Georgia. With approximately 4,000 active peanut farmers, the state produces 52% of the country’s peanuts.
Beef and Peanut Empanadas with Chimichurri
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yield: 30-40 small empanadas
Beef and Peanut Empanadas with Chimichurri Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup raw Georgia Peanuts
2 tablespoons pickled jalapenos, chopped
1 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon water, plus additional for sealing dough
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
2 packages pie crust
1 egg white, in small bowl
1/3 cup flat leaf parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup olive oil
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
Beef and Peanut Empanadas with Chimichurri Instructions
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add onion, red pepper flakes, garlic, raisins, peanuts and jalapenos. Cook until onion and garlic are soft and fragrant. Add ground beef and brown thoroughly. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and 1 tablespoon water. Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring to prevent burning. Season with salt and pepper, to taste; transfer filling to large bowl and cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Unroll pie crusts on lightly floured work surface. Using round cutter at least 3 inches in diameter, cut out rounds.
- Using rolling pin, roll out edges of each circle, leaving center of circle at its original thickness.
- Holding one round of dough in palm of hand, scoop about 1 tablespoon filling into center. Using fingertip, line edge of dough with water, fold into half moon shape and pinch to seal. For extra ease, use fork.
- Place filled empanadas on parchment-lined baking sheet and brush tops with egg white.
- Bake 20-25 minutes on upper rack.
- In blender or food processor, pulse parsley, oregano, garlic, red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes and olive oil 2-3 times. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve in small bowl for dipping.
To make spicy beef and peanut empanadas:
To make chimichurri:
Asian Peanut Slaw
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges
- 1/4 cup Asian sesame dressing
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dry roasted peanuts
- 1 bag (16 ounces) three-colored deli slaw mix
- chow mein noodles
- Drain juice from mandarin oranges into mixing bowl and reserve oranges.
- In bowl with juice, add dressing, peanut butter and red pepper; whisk until well blended. Add peanuts, oranges and coleslaw mix; toss until thoroughly coated.
- Garnish with chow mein noodles before serving.
Quick & Easy Recipes You Might Also like
Recipe courtesy of "Set the Table" on behalf of the Georgia Peanut Commission
To find more family-friendly recipe ideas powered by peanuts, visit GAPeanuts.com.
Georgia Peanut Commission
Beef and Peanut Empanadas with Chimichurri - Easy and Delicious Dishes
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food share their passion on iHaveNet.com. These chefs make great cooking easier than imagined. Each gourmet recipe features expert advice and an easy-to-make recipe. Exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable