- LATIN AMERICA
- MIDDLE EAST
- United Kingdom
- United States
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- iHaveNet.com: Recipes
It takes just a few extra minutes to make decadent macaroni and cheese from scratch instead of a box. Whole-wheat macaroni boosts protein, fiber and whole-grain nutrients. Cut the total fat and saturated fat slightly by using a reduced-fat version of sharp cheddar and 1% low-fat milk.
Just one cup of this scrumptious and comforting side dish contains over one-third of your daily value for calcium!
Makes 6 servings (1 cup per serving)
12 ounces whole-wheat macaroni
4 ounces reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
4 ounces fontina cheese
2 cups 1% low-fat milk
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
½ teaspoon garlic powder
Salt to taste
- In a large 5-quart pan, cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and return to pan.
- Grate or shred cheeses while macaroni cooks. Set cheeses aside.
- In a large saucepan, whisk together milk, flour, mustard and garlic powder until thoroughly blended. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to low; stirring often, simmer for about 5 minutes until thickened.
- Remove pan from heat, add shredded cheeses and stir until completely melted and smooth.
- Add cheese sauce to macaroni and toss gently until all macaroni is coated. Salt lightly to taste if desired.
Available at Amazon.com:
Whole-grain Macaroni and Cheese - Recipes
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food share their passion on iHaveNet.com. These chefs make great cooking easier than imagined. Each gourmet recipe features expert advice and an easy-to-make recipe. Exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable