- LATIN AMERICA
- MIDDLE EAST
- United Kingdom
- United States
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- iHaveNet.com: Recipes
Potatoes are the “right” kind of carbs: The nutrient-rich kind, with lots of fiber, plenty of antioxidant vitamin C and loads of potassium for healthy blood pressure. Keep the skins on for even more phytonutrients.
Chives, the smallest member of the onion family, bump up the antioxidants and provide cancer-fighting vitamins A, C and K. Light and reduced-fat ingredients mean these rich potatoes contain slightly less fat and calories.
This big-batch mashed potato recipe is perfect for large family gatherings; for weeknight meals, make half.
Makes 12 servings (1 cup each)
5 pounds red potatoes
1/2 to 1 cup reserved potato cooking water
8-ounce package reduced-fat Neufchatel cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/4 cups reduced-fat light sour cream, room temperature
6 tablespoons light trans-free margarine
2/3 cup finely chopped fresh chives
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Wash and cut potatoes into equal-size large chunks (depending on size, either halve or quarter potatoes).
2. In a large 7-quart stock pan, place potatoes and cover with cold water.
3. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer gently about 25 to 40 minutes or until tender (knife or fork inserted in chunks will have no resistance).
4. Reserve 2 cups potato cooking water, then drain potatoes thoroughly.
5. Add 1/2 cup potato cooking water and all other ingredients.
6. Smash lightly with fork or potato masher, leaving some chunks.
7. Add additional potato cooking water in 1/2-cup increments to obtain desired smashed consistency.
8. Serve immediately. Can be warmed in microwave.
Nutrition information (per serving)
Protein: 7 g
Carbohydrate: 40 g
Fat: 8.5 g
Saturated Fat: 4.5 g
Cholesterol: 20 mg
Sodium: 240 mg
Potassium: 1105 mg
Calcium: 62 mg
Iron: 1.4 mg
Vitamin A: 651 IU
Vitamin C: 26 mg
Fiber: 3.5 g
Available at Amazon.com:
Be Good to Your Gut: Recipes and Tips for People With Digestive Problems
Big Green Cookbook: Hundreds of Planet-Pleasing Recipes and Tips for a Luscious, Low-Carbon Lifestyle
More FOOD, DRINK & RECIPES [...]
APPETIZERS | SOUPS | PASTA | SALADS | MAIN COURSES | SEAFOOD | CHICKEN | PORK | LAMB | BEEF / VEAL | VEGETARIAN | SIDE DISHES | DESSERT | HEALTHY | WOLFGANG PUCK
Smashed Potatoes With Chives Recipe
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food share their passion on iHaveNet.com. These chefs make great cooking easier than imagined. Each gourmet recipe features expert advice and an easy-to-make recipe. Exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable