- LATIN AMERICA
- MIDDLE EAST
- United Kingdom
- United States
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- iHaveNet.com: Recipes
Live Right Live Well
Here's a savory pork recipe that pairs pork chops with a sweet maple syrup and shallot sauce and is served alongside spiced couscous
When you’re shopping for lean pork, just remember the word “loin” -- as in center cut loin chops, boneless loin chops or tenderloin. Then create a savory autumn meal by pairing pork with a sweet maple syrup and shallot sauce and serving it alongside spiced couscous.
Pork is rich in essential B-vitamins, zinc and high-quality protein. Cinnamon, cayenne pepper and cumin all contain disease-fighting antioxidants. Use whole wheat couscous for a fiber boost.
Maple-Shallot Pork Chops with Spiced Couscous
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: Makes 6 servings (one pork chop + 3/4 cup couscous)
Maple-Shallot Pork Chops with Spiced Couscous Ingredients
6 center cut loin pork chops (about 6-7 ounces each and 3/4-inch thick)
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
6 ounces shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup natural apple juice
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 box (10 oz.) plain couscous
1 cup natural apple juice
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon canola oil
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Maple-Shallot Pork Chops with Spiced Couscous Recipe Instructions
1. In a medium saucepan, bring apple juice, water, salt and canola oil to a boil.
2. Stir in couscous and spices, cover, remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes (or until pork is done). Fluff couscous with fork before serving.
3. While couscous cooks, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Add shallots, cooking just until shallots start to soften.
5. Remove shallots with a slotted spoon to a separate dish.
6. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to hot skillet, add pork chops and brown about 2 minutes on each side.
7. Lower heat to medium, add maple syrup, apple juice and reserved shallots.
8. Cover and cook about 5 to 6 minutes, or no higher than 155 - 160°F with instant-read thermometer.
9. Serve pork chops with couscous and spoon maple-shallot sauce over dish.
Maple-Shallot Pork Chops with Spiced Couscous Nutrition information per serving:
Protein: 44 g
Carbohydrate: 76 g
Fat: 12 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 80 mg
Sodium: 190 mg
Calcium: 71 mg
Iron: 3 mg
Vitamin A: 440 IU
Vitamin C: 5 mg
Fiber: 2.5 g
Available at Amazon.com:
Be Good to Your Gut: Recipes and Tips for People With Digestive Problems
Big Green Cookbook: Hundreds of Planet-Pleasing Recipes and Tips for a Luscious, Low-Carbon Lifestyle
More FOOD, DRINK & RECIPES [...]
APPETIZERS | SOUPS | PASTA | SALADS | MAIN COURSES | SEAFOOD | CHICKEN | PORK | LAMB | BEEF / VEAL | VEGETARIAN | SIDE DISHES | DESSERT | HEALTHY | WOLFGANG PUCK
Maple-Shallot Pork Chops with Spiced Couscous Recipe
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food share their passion on iHaveNet.com. These chefs make great cooking easier than imagined. Each gourmet recipe features expert advice and an easy-to-make recipe. Exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable