- LATIN AMERICA
- MIDDLE EAST
- United Kingdom
- United States
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- iHaveNet.com: Recipes
Live Right Live Well
For a twist on traditional peas and carrots, try this heart-healthy honey-glazed carrots and edamame recipe.
Also known as green sweet soybeans, edamame are rich in soy protein, which can help lower cholesterol.
An added bonus: Eating more vegetables is one of the DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) steps for lowering high blood pressure. You can find edamame in the freezer case or produce department.
For easy honey removal, spray cups and spoons with cooking spray before measuring.
Honey-Glazed Carrots and Edamame
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: Makes 6 servings (3/4 cup each)
Honey-Glazed Carrots and Edamame Ingredients
1 pound whole carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch diagonal coins
1/3 cup and 2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/3 cup water
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, divided (Use margarine for a vegetarian dish)
1 bag (12 ounces) frozen, shelled edamame
1/8 teaspoon salt
Honey-Glazed Carrots and Edamame Recipe Instructions
1. Heat a large 12-inch skillet (coated with cooking spray) over medium heat.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together 1/3 cup honey, lemon juice and water.
3. Add carrots to the skillet, then pour honey mixture over all and place 1 tablespoon butter in center of vegetables.
4. Cover and cook for 9 to 11 minutes, stirring occasionally, until carrots are crisp and tender. Mixture will be boiling.
5. Stir in frozen edamame, cover and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, just so edamame are hot.
6. Remove vegetables with slotted spoon to another dish; cover to keep them warm.
7. Increase heat to medium-high and whisk in remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter and 2 tablespoons honey. Cook uncovered for 3 to 5 minutes, until mixture is slightly reduced and syrupy.
8. Return vegetables to skillet and cook for an additional 2 minutes, until vegetables are hot and coated with glaze. Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately.
Honey-Glazed Carrots and Edamame Nutrition information (per serving)
8 g protein
33 g carbohydrate
6 g fat (2 g saturated)
8 mg cholesterol
123 mg sodium
495 mg potassium
62 mg calcium
1.7 mg iron
11,966 IU vitamin A
11 mg vitamin C
5 g fiber
Available at Amazon.com:
Honey-glazed Carrots & Edamame Recipe
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food share their passion on iHaveNet.com. These chefs make great cooking easier than imagined. Each gourmet recipe features expert advice and an easy-to-make recipe. Exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable
© Live Right. Live Well.