- LATIN AMERICA
- MIDDLE EAST
- United Kingdom
- United States
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- iHaveNet.com: Recipes
Curried Barley Pilaf
By Live Right Live Well
Quick-cooking barley is loaded with soluble fiber, the type that helps lower cholesterol and keeps your heart healthy. Turmeric gives this fast and colorful side dish its vibrant yellow hue.
This recipe also contains curcumin, which has been the focus of numerous scientific studies suggesting it may inhibit the growth of cancer cells, reduce inflammation and maybe even safeguard our brain.
Cashews, like all nuts, contain heart-healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, and they're high in the antioxidant vitamin E.
Curried Barley Pilaf Recipe
Makes 4 cups (8 servings of 1/2 cup each)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/3 cups diced onion
2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
1 1/4 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth*
1 cup quick-cooking barley
1/2 cup packed seedless raisins
1/3 cup cashews (halves and pieces)
*Use vegetable broth for vegetarian side dish
1. Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion and garlic and saute until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in curry, turmeric, allspice, salt, pepper and chicken broth.
4. Bring to a boil; add barley and raisins.
5. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until barley is tender and nearly all liquid is absorbed.
6. Remove from heat. Let it stand, covered, for 3 minutes.
7. Stir in cashews and serve immediately.
Nutrition information (per serving)
5 g protein
30 g carbohydrate
5 g fat (0.5 g saturated)
0 mg cholesterol
280 mg sodium
288 mg potassium
29 mg calcium
1.7 mg iron
10 IU vitamin A
3 mg vitamin C
5 g fiber
Article: Copyright © Tribune Media Services, Inc.
Recipes: "Curried Barley Pilaf Recipe
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food share their passion on iHaveNet.com. These chefs make great cooking easier than imagined. Each gourmet recipe features expert advice and an easy-to-make recipe. Exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable