- LATIN AMERICA
- MIDDLE EAST
- United Kingdom
- United States
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- iHaveNet.com: Recipes
Diane Rossen Worthington
Grilled Corn on the Cob
One of summer's culinary high points is enjoying fresh, just-picked corn, with the husk still attached so you can enjoy its garden-fresh sweetness. I love to make corn salsas, puddings, and soups, but grilling corn is what I do most. There are a number of ways to accomplish this.
Corn on the cob, grilled in the husk with chili butter, enhances the smoky-sweet corn flavor.
For this Grilled Corn on the Cob recipe, Chipotle chilies are smoked jalepenos and are often packed in adobo sauce. It's best to add the chili puree in small increments to the butter until you find the perfect amount of heat. You can use the peeled-back husks to hold the corn or detach the husks and use corn holders or your hands. This method takes a bit of time but is definitely worth a try on your barbecue this summer.
Corn that has been husked (naked) is quick to prepare and tends to be sweeter since the corn kernels are grilled directly on the heat and become caramelized. Remember that husked corn cooks much faster than corn in the husk. Olive oil and a splash of fresh squeezed lime juice impart a complementary flavor. Each of these recipes is delicious in its' own way.
Try grilling corn on the cob both ways and see which you prefer.
Grilled Corn on the Cob in the Husk with Chipotle Butter
Prep Time: 60 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yield: Serves 6
Grilled Corn on the Cob in the Husk with Chipotle Butter Ingredients
1 teaspoon or to taste, chipotle chili puree (see below)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
6 whole ears of white or yellow corn, husks left on
Grilled Corn on the Cob in the Husk with Chipotle Butter Recipe Instructions
1. To make the chili butter: Combine the chili puree, butter, and salt in a small bowl. Beat together until thoroughly blended. Taste for seasoning. Add more puree, if desired.
2. Pull back the husks, being careful not to break them off. Remove all the silk inside. Soak the corn in a large bowl or sink full of cold water for 1/2 to 1 hour.
3. Drain and pat the corn dry. Rub with some of the chili butter. Replace husks.
4. Prepare the barbecue for medium-heat grilling. Grill the ears for 10 to 15 minutes, depending on their size, turning to cook evenly.
5. Remove from the grill and, using a potholder glove, remove the husks. Serve immediately with more chili butter, if desired.
Advance Preparation: The corn may be prepared 4 hours ahead through step 3 and kept at room temperature.
Chipotle Chili Puree Recipe
I keep this spicy smoky flavor enhancer in my refrigerator. Add it to dressings, sauces or anything you want to have an undertone of smoky heat. Transfer puree to an airtight container -- preferably glass, as the sauce tends to stain plastic -- and refrigerate for about a month.
Makes about 1/4 cup.
Chipotle Chili Puree Ingredients
1 can (ounces) chipotle en adobo
Chipotle Chili Puree Recipe Instructions
In a food processor fitted with the metal blade process the chilies until totally pureed. Place in a air-tight container and refrigerate.
Advance Preparation: This may be prepared ahead and stored in the refrigerator for 1 month.
Grilled Husked Corn
Salt and pepper
6 ears Corn, husked and cleaned
3 limes, halved
1. Prepare the barbecue for medium-high-heat grilling.
2. Brush corn with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill the ears until charred in spots, turning occasionally to cook evenly, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large platter and serve immediately with lime halves to squirt over the corn.
Grilled Corn, Grilled Corn on the Cob, American
Grilled Corn on the Cob with Chipotle Butter - Seriously Simple Recipe
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food share their passion on iHaveNet.com. These chefs make great cooking easier than imagined. Each gourmet recipe features expert advice and an easy-to-make recipe. Exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable
© Tribune Media Services