- LATIN AMERICA
- MIDDLE EAST
- United Kingdom
- United States
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- iHaveNet.com: Recipes
By Live Right Live Well
Green Pea and Mint Soup
Enjoy the essence of spring with this flavorful and easy soup.
Green peas -- even the frozen variety -- are filled with protein, antioxidant vitamins A and C, and fiber. Combine them with carrots, onion, garlic, lemon and fresh mint to create a colorful and refreshing weeknight meal. Just add whole-grain bread and a side salad.
Choose light yellow or clear vegetable broth (rather than a dark one that contains tomato paste) so the green remains vibrant.
Remove mint leaves from stems easily by running your fingers backwards from the bottom.
Green Pea and Mint Soup
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yield: Makes about 6 servings (1 2/3 cups each)
Green Pea and Mint Soup Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups diced sweet Vidalia onion
3 very large cloves of garlic, minced
3/4 cup chopped carrot
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 cups vegetable broth or stock, divided*
2 16-ounce bags frozen green peas (about 7 cups)
1 heaping cup (or 1-ounce bag) packed mint leaves
5 to 6 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon finely minced lemon zest
Light sour cream or plain yogurt, lemon zest and mint leaves for garnish, if desired
*Use slightly more broth if you prefer a thinner soup
Green Pea and Mint Soup Recipe Instructions
1. In a 5-quart pan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, carrots and celery. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften.
2. Stir in pepper and salt with enough vegetable broth to completely cover the vegetables (about 4 1/2 to 5 cups).
3. Bring to a boil. Stir in frozen peas with remaining vegetable broth and return to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, or until peas are tender but still bright green. Stir in mint, lemon juice and lemon zest.
5. Using a regular or immersion blender, puree the soup in batches.
6. Ladle into bowls and garnish with a dollop of light sour cream or plain yogurt, lemon zest and a mint leaf, if desired.
7. Refrigerate leftovers in a tightly covered container.
Green Pea and Mint Soup Nutrition Facts (per one serving, without garnishes
11 g protein
32 g carbohydrates
5 g fat (0.5 g saturated)
0 mg cholesterol
745 mg sodium
710 mg potassium
95 mg calcium
3.2 mg iron
6787 IU vitamin A
37 mg vitamin C
9 g fiber
More FOOD, DRINK & RECIPES [...]
APPETIZERS | SOUPS | PASTA | SALADS | MAIN COURSES | SEAFOOD | CHICKEN | PORK | LAMB | BEEF / VEAL | VEGETARIAN | SIDE DISHES | DESSERT | HEALTHY | WOLFGANG PUCK
Flavorful and Easy-to-make Green Pea and Mint Soup Recipe
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food share their passion on iHaveNet.com. These chefs make great cooking easier than imagined. Each gourmet recipe features expert advice and an easy-to-make recipe. Exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable
Article: Copyright © Tribune Media Services, Inc.