- LATIN AMERICA
- MIDDLE EAST
- United Kingdom
- United States
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- iHaveNet.com: Recipes
Live Right Live Well
For a fast, easy and healthy dinner, turn to canned pumpkin and whole-wheat gnocchi (pronounced “NOH-kee”) to make this gnocchi with pumpkin rosemary sauce recipe.
Little Italian dumplings made from potatoes and flour, gnocchi cook in just three minutes. Rosemary-spiked pumpkin sauce uses part-skim ricotta cheese instead of heavy cream to keep fat low.
One serving of this savory dish overflows with antioxidant-rich vitamin A from the pumpkin -- over 300 percent of your daily needs! Look for packages of gnocchi in the pasta aisle.
Gnocchi With Pumpkin Rosemary Sauce
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
Gnocchi With Pumpkin Rosemary Sauce Ingredients
2 16-ounce packages whole-wheat gnocchi
1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 1/4 cups chopped onion
2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
2 teaspoons fresh, very finely minced rosemary
1 1/2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
2 tablespoons part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dash of ground black pepper
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Shaved parmesan cheese (optional topping)
Gnocchi With Pumpkin Rosemary Sauce Recipe Instructions
1. Cook gnocchi according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
2. While gnocchi cook, prepare pumpkin sauce in a large 12-inch skillet.
3. Heat olive oil over medium heat, then add onions and cook until onions are barely soft and translucent (about 2 to 3 minutes).
4. Add garlic and saute for another 2 to 3 minutes, until onions are tender.
5. Add rosemary and saute for 1 minute.
6. Add chicken broth, pumpkin, ricotta, salt and pepper, stirring constantly until thoroughly combined and hot.
7. Stir in balsamic vinegar. Remove from heat and serve over cooked whole-wheat gnocchi. Top with shaved parmesan if desired.
Gnocchi With Pumpkin Rosemary Sauce Nutrition Facts (per serving, without parmesan)
11 g protein
87 g carbohydrate
6.5 g fat (1 g saturated)
3 mg cholesterol
950 mg sodium
375 mg potassium
141 mg calcium
2.5 mg iron
16,580 IU vitamin A
12 mg vitamin C
6.5 g fiber
Available at Amazon.com:
Gnocchi with Pumpkin & Rosemary Sauce - Pasta Recipes
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food share their passion on iHaveNet.com. These chefs make great cooking easier than imagined. Each gourmet recipe features expert advice and an easy-to-make recipe. Exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable