With all of the photo-sharing apps and websites out there, it’s easier than ever to stay up-to-date on the lives of loved ones. But with the freedom and accessibility comes concern about who you want viewing your online photos: Grandma? Yes. Creepy guy from high school whose friend request you accepted out of guilt? Not so much.
So before you upload your personal snapshots, keep these tips in mind.
Choose a safe site for your photos.
Photo-sharing services like Shutterfly, KODAK Gallery, Snapfish and KeepandShare let you post your photos on a password-protected (and free!) space. Only users with the password have access to your photos.
Be mindful of Facebook’s privacy settings
Facebook allows users to choose who sees the photos they post. You can make them available just to your friends, or open up your albums to friends of friends too -- or even everyone (meaning, the entire Facebook network). But unless you’re comfortable having strangers view photos from your kid’s first birthday party, choose the friends-only option.
Back up photos to the cloud.
Even if you never plan on sharing one snapshot, storing your photos on a site like PictureTrail.com or an online backup service such as Mozy is a good idea. Cloud services let you back up your photos, so if your computer or external hard drive were to crash or get stolen, your pictures would still be preserved somewhere. So if you don’t already have an account for a file-storing online service, sign up for one to preserve your memories.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Do You Need an iPad for Your Small Business?
- The App Guide: 5 Must-have Shopping Apps
- Project Management Tips From the Pros
- Finding the Right Skill Set
- Who's Gawking at Your Photos?
- Dealing With Virtual Stalking
- CES 2011 Report - Consumer Electronics Show
- Time to Gear up for 3-D TV?
- How to Get the Best Service From IT Vendors
- Dating Apps: The Lowdown
- New Website Streamlines College-Aid Application
- Gift-card Resale Market Thrives Online
- Stop Cyberbullying Now!
- 5 Cloud Tools to Boost Your Productivity
- Mobile Pay Can Give You an Edge
- How to Find the Best Deals Online
- Should You 'Friend' Your Teens Online?
- Should You Really Post That Comment?
- 5 Smart Tactics for LinkedIn Self-Promotion
- How Repressive Regimes Use the Internet to Keep Power
- WikiLeaks: Diplomacy as Usual
- The Rising Threat of USB Drives
- Integrate Cloud Solutions With Caution
- Tech Solutions to Track Your Resolutions
- Crash Course in Computer Maintenance
- How to Pick the Right Cloud Provider
- Web Tools for Starting a Small Business
- 4 Life-changing Resolutions You Can Stick to
- Create Your Own Social Network
- What the Web Says About You
- FTC Chairman: 'Do Not Track' Rules Would Help Web Thrive
- 'Do Not Track' Rules Would Put a Stop to the Internet As We Know It
- Are Federal 'Do Not Track' Rules Needed?
- The Political Power of Social Media
- Top 3 Kid-safe Social Networks
- 5 Ways to Cultivate Your Kids' Online Reputation
- Preparing Our Children for Global Digital Citizenship Success
- The Great E-reader Roundup
- The NFL's Highest-scoring Apps
- New Gadgets Straight From the Big Screen
- A Game Plan for Protecting Stored Data
- The Drive for Real-time Collaboration
- Hang Onto People Who'll Help You Advance
- Leading New Developments in Visual Computing
- Meet Mr. Industrial: Justin Lassen's Music Machine
- Must-see TV on the Internet
- Share Safely on Social Networks
- 6 Essential Rules for Safe Online Shopping
- Five Steps to Kid-friendly Surfing
- High-tech Help for Weight Loss
- Create a Web Site or Blog for Your Family
- Video Eyewear for Sunglass Cinema
- Smart Phone Apps Help Stop Distracted Driving
- Online Computer Backup Services Remove Hassle
- Cut Your Carbon Footprint and Save Money With New Gadgets
- The 25 Best Apps for iPads, iPhones and Droids
- Government Takes a Step Toward Cloud Computing
- Is Our Obsession With Internet-Based Media Veering Into Addiction?
- Stop Information Overload
- Cool Technology Tools for a Carefree Life
- Apple iPhone versus Google Android
- Apple Enters Rental Biz
- Cool Technology and Gadgets for Hot Summer Fun
- Smart Tools For a Paperless Home
- Formspring.me - Teens' Ugly Scrawlings Go High Tech
- Guide to Great Educational Websites for Kids
- 5 Social Media Tools for College Students
- 5 Do's and Don'ts for College Students Using Social Media
- Is Facebook Killing Your Mojo?
- Internet Safety Tips for Teens
- 10 Cool Gadget Gifts for Grads
- New DVR Recorders Do More Than Record TV
- 4G Networks Promise True Wireless Broadband
- Tools That Make it Easy to Network Home PCs
- GPS: Cool Devices That Know Where They Are
- Ultimate HDTV HD Television Buying Guide
- How to Save With Cutting-Edge Tech
- Suddenly Instant Photos Are Everywhere
- Technology Opens Doors for Investors
- The Art of Self-Marketing Online
- Is Your Next Job a Click Away?
- Archiving Twitter Tweets: Dumbing Down Journalism
- These Financial Blogs Are Worth Your Time
- iPad Launch: Perils of the iPad
- iPad Launch: What Buyers Need to Know
- Apple's iPad: 5 Reasons Why the Apple Tablet Will Flop
- Apple's iPad: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
- 'Dotcom' Turns 25: Predictions for What Comes Next
- Costly Incompatible Glasses Threaten 3D TV Sales
- Mobile Tech That Stole the Decade
- The Biggest Technology Flops of the Decade
- M.B.A. Programs Are Biting Apple's iPad
- Democracy in Cyberspace
- The Digital Disruption
- Bashing Bosses on Social Media
- New Applications Turning Cell Phones Into Medical Devices
- Job Hunting With Smart Phones
- Nobel Winner Right About Risks of e-Books
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.