- LATIN AMERICA
- MIDDLE EAST
- United Kingdom
- United States
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- iHaveNet.com: Soccer
by Fitzgerald Cecilio
Abby Wambach is now the greatest goal scorer in international soccer having scored four times in the first half a 5-0 victory over South Korea.
It gave the 33-year-old Wambach 160 tallies in 207 games, two more than Mia Hamm had in a 275-game career that ended in 2004.
The 2012 FIFA Women's World Player of the Year, Wambach credited her teammates for relentlessly putting her in those scoring positions.
The historic 159th came on a line-drive header in the 29th minute that ripped into the twine in the back of the net off a corner kick by Megan Rapinoe.
Her first goal Thursday came on a shot in the box past South Korean goalkeeper Kim Jung-mi in the 10th minute. The second came nine minutes later in the friendly on a flicking header.
Lauren Cheney set up the first two goals on crossing passes on plays that Wambach eluded Korean defender Shim Seo-yeon.
Wambach's fourth goal was an easy tap-in after Alex Morgan made a run down the right side and centered the ball to her.
She had a chance for a fifth goal, which would have tied her single-game record, but she could not get her head on a cross early in the second half.
Cheney added the final goal for the United States on a header in the 64th minute.
- Real Madrid Feels Kaka could Regain Winning Form
- Thiago Picks Bayern over Manchester United
- Luis Suarez wants to play in Premiere League
- Jozy Altidore Returns to Premiere League with Sunderland
- Referee beheaded by Fans after Stabbing Player in Brazil
- Argentina and Uruguay May Co-Host 2030 World Cup
- Fred and Neymar Shine as Brazil Shocks Spain in Confederations Cup Final
- Confederation Cup: Italy Edges Uruguay for Third Place
- Spain Edges Italy in Shootout, Advances to Confederation Cup Final
- Landon Donovan picked Anew for US National Soccer Squad
- Real Madrid Names Carlo Ancelotti New Manager
- Abby Wambach eclipses Mia Hamm's international goal record
- Manchester City Hires Manuel Pellegrini as New Manager
- Manchester City highest-paying pro sports team
- David Beckham excited about possible MLS team in Miami
- Neymar Inks 5-year Deal with Barcelona
- Bayern Munich Tops Borussia Dortmund, Wins Champions League Title
- Galaxy Make Robbie Rogers First Active Gay Player in US Pro Sports
- David Beckham Announces Retirement from Soccer
Article: Copyright ©. All Rights Reserved
"Abby Wambach Eclipses Mia Hamm's Goal Record "