Summer Fun With Kids on a Budget
It can be difficult, not to mention expensive, trying to entertain the kids now that school is out for the summer. By taking advantage of some local summer programs, family fun can happen -- even on a budget.
1. Summer Movie Programs for Kids
Many of the top-name movie theaters around the country offer discounted movie tickets each week throughout the summer. These programs usually highlight a different children's movie each week and may only be shown on certain dates. Plus, you can't beat the ticket price -- many as low as 50 cents, $1 and some even free.
2. Summer Reading Programs for Kids
Bookstores are joining parents in encouraging their children to read throughout the summer. With freebies involved, kids are certain to get excited and encouraged too. Many major retailers have various summer programs offering kids either a free book or a gift card for a certain number of books read.
3. Local Library Fun
Check your local library for a summer schedule of activities. Many libraries have season passes to local attractions, while others may offer reading programs similar to the bookstores. Not only did my daughter earn some free books and stickers last year through a library program, but I did too, as bookstores also wanted to encourage the parents to read. One library in the Dallas / Fort Worth area even has a weekly story time at a water park before the park opens to the public … for free!
No matter what your budget, you can find inexpensive ways to keep your kids having fun all summer long.
Debra Muccio is the mother of a 2-year-old girl and blogs at AFrugalFriend.net, where she finds the best deals and freebies on everything from groceries to entertainment.
Available at Amazon.com:
Cookoff: Recipe Fever in America
The Ultimate Birthday Party Book: 50 Complete and Creative Themes to Make Your Kid's Special Day Fantastic!
Organized Kidz: E-Z Solutions for Clutter-Free Living
- Summer Fun With Kids on a Budget
- Sharing a Room With a Sibling
- Have a Safe Trip
- Summer Activities for Kids
- Have a Healthy Vacation
- 6 Ways to Keep Family From Derailing Your Career
- Dressing Your Children on a Budget
- Top 5 Ways to Never Waste Food Again
- Stretch Your Family Meals
- Get Your Kitchen Cleaner Quicker
- Taking the Kids to a Broadway Musical
- Sunscreen Facts You Need to Know
- Internet Safety Tips for Teens
- Hosting a Successful Yard Sale
- Family Sunday Supper or Any Other Time
- Small Changes to Get out of Debt and Save Money
- Marriage Hopes on a Tightrope
- To Market The Farmers Market
- Keep Your House Spring-clean
- Creative Ways to Combine Work & Family
- Giving Mom Best Mother's Day Present She's Ever Had
- Show Mom You Love Her!
- Water Explorers
- Make Cleaning Fun and Get the Kids to Help Too
- Home Cleanup Shortcuts
- The Great Neighborhood Cook-off
- Family Room Clutter Busters
- 7 Steps to a Toxin-free Home
- Secrets to Money-saving Meals
- Growing a Family Garden
- How to Rush-proof Your Morning Routine
- Circus Games Backyard Big Top
- Ready, Set, Scavenge!
- How to Create a Crafty Home
- Brush With the Stars: Family Night out That's Free!
- Stress-free Birthday Bashes
- How to Raise Caring Kids
- Teenagers Testing My Patience
- Moms: Stop Kids Fears Before They Start
- Games for Building Better Family Bonds
- How to Organize and Store Vital Family Documents
- Battling Over Bedtimes? Not Anymore
- De-stress Your Mornings
- Giving Kids a Creative Edge
- New Twists on Family Game Night
- 4 Ways to Make Dinnertime Work
- Sibling Warfare? Stay Neutral
- Raise a Smart Spender
- Money for Something?
- Sick-day Strategies for Keeping Kids Entertained
- Sync With Your Spouse on Discipline Style
- What Kind of Parent Are You?
Copyright © 2010 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.