Summer Activities for Kids
The kids all jump for joy that school is out now. But as a parent, grandparent or caregiver, you might be wondering, “What am I going to do with the kids during summer vacation?” Here are some fun ideas to keep them entertained the whole summer.
Use your local library
Libraries usually have free summer reading programs that will allow children of all ages to earn prizes for the books they read. Even if the child is too young to read, she can still participate if a caretaker reads to her instead. Libraries may also offer free videos for the rainy summer days. Last but not least, ask for a calendar of events: Your local library may have a list with story times, crafts and other activities.
Perfect if your child is old enough to baby-sit or mow the lawn. It will keep him busy and teach him the value of a dollar at an early age.
Summer volunteer work
Not only educational for kids, but also something you can do with your child. Choose one of the many charities that may fit your child’s interest, like a seniors living facility, The Humane Society, The Salvation Army, etc.
Check the YMCA
For various sporting activities, such as swimming lessons, camp and exercise classes. YMCA requires a paid membership, but if you qualify, you can get financial assistance. You can also ask about a free YMCA nonmember guest pass.
Ask your local zoo or science museum
About upcoming special event days, when admission is discounted. Or look into the price of a yearly membership; typically if you go just a few times a year, it will soon pay for itself.
Julie Smart is the mother of five wonderful children and a blogger at couponsavingfamily.com
Available at Amazon.com:
- Enjoy Breakfast as a Family
- Planning Family Summer Vacations on a Budget
- Summer Activities for Kids
- Have a Healthy Vacation
- 6 Ways to Keep Family From Derailing Your Career
- Dressing Your Children on a Budget
- Top 5 Ways to Never Waste Food Again
- Stretch Your Family Meals
- Get Your Kitchen Cleaner Quicker
- Taking the Kids to a Broadway Musical
- Sunscreen Facts You Need to Know
- Internet Safety Tips for Teens
- Hosting a Successful Yard Sale
- Family Sunday Supper or Any Other Time
- Small Changes to Get out of Debt and Save Money
- Marriage Hopes on a Tightrope
- To Market The Farmers Market
- Keep Your House Spring-clean
- Creative Ways to Combine Work & Family
- Giving Mom Best Mother's Day Present She's Ever Had
- Show Mom You Love Her!
- Water Explorers
- Make Cleaning Fun and Get the Kids to Help Too
- Home Cleanup Shortcuts
- The Great Neighborhood Cook-off
- Family Room Clutter Busters
- 7 Steps to a Toxin-free Home
- Secrets to Money-saving Meals
- Growing a Family Garden
- How to Rush-proof Your Morning Routine
- Circus Games Backyard Big Top
- Ready, Set, Scavenge!
- How to Create a Crafty Home
- Brush With the Stars: Family Night out That's Free!
- Stress-free Birthday Bashes
- How to Raise Caring Kids
- Teenagers Testing My Patience
- Moms: Stop Kids Fears Before They Start
- Games for Building Better Family Bonds
- How to Organize and Store Vital Family Documents
- Battling Over Bedtimes? Not Anymore
- De-stress Your Mornings
- Giving Kids a Creative Edge
- New Twists on Family Game Night
- 4 Ways to Make Dinnertime Work
- Sibling Warfare? Stay Neutral
- Raise a Smart Spender
- Money for Something?
- Sick-day Strategies for Keeping Kids Entertained
- Sync With Your Spouse on Discipline Style
- What Kind of Parent Are You?
Copyright © 2010 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.