Coach Del Bosque Signs Contract Extension with Spain
Coach Vicente del Bosque has signed a contract extension with Spain, sticking with the team until its title defense in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and beyond.
"I have already renewed my contract as national team coach," said Del Bosque in an interview with Radio Marca.
The 61-year-old coach did not mention the length or amount of his new deal with the Spanish Football Federation but he is expected to stay with the team until after the 2014 World Cup.
Del Bosque's previous deal was set to expire after the European Championship but he signed an extension after Spain's first game at Euro 2012, a 1-1 draw with Italy in Gdansk, Poland.
The former Real Madrid player and coach took Spain's helm in 2008 after Luis Aragones led them to the Euro 2008 crown.
Spain is now eyeing to become the first team to win three major tournaments in a row after del Bosque led them to a first World Cup title in 2010.
The Spaniards play Croatia in their final Euro 2012 group match on Monday and will top their group with a victory for a place in the quarterfinals.
Before coaching Spain, Del Bosque coached Real Madrid from 1999 to 2003, steering the team to two UEFA Champions league Crown in 1999 and 2001.
Del Bosque and Italian Marcello Lippi are the only football managers who have won both the UEFA Champions League and the World Cup.
As a player, Del Bosque played midfielder in La Liga 441 times. He scored 30 total goals while playing for Castilla CF, Cordoba, Castellon and Real Madrid.
He won five league titles (1974-75, 1975-76, 1977-78, 1978-79, 1979-80) and four Copa del Rey titles (1973-74, 1974-75, 1979-80, 1981-82) with Real Madrid.
Internationally, Del Bosque received 18 caps with the Spanish national team, scoring one goal.
Spanish striker Fernando Torres and coach Vicente del Bosque slammed the idea the defending champions might play for a draw Monday against Croatia knowing a point would send both sides through to the next round of Euro 2012 at the expense of Italy. While there's still a slim chance they might not qualify, Spain said they'd only be playing for a win
- Spain Tops Italy: Nabs 2nd Straight Euro Championship
- Euro 2012 Finals Preview: Italy vs Spain
- Super Mario Balotelli Lifts Italy Past Germany into Euro Final
- David Beckham Surprise Omission from Great Britain's Olympic Soccer Team
- Spain Tops Portugal in Penalty Shootout, Advances to Euro Final
- Italy Hopes to Get Key Players Back vs Germany
- Spain and Portugal Ready for Euro 2012 Semi-final Battle
- Italy Tops England in Penalty Shootout
- Alonso Sparks Spain Past France into Semifinals
- Germany Posts Record 15th Straight Win, Books Place in Euro 2012 Semis
- Greece Faces Daunting Task vs Germany in Euro 2012 Quarterfinals
- Ronaldo's Header Powers Portugal into Euro 2012 Semis
- England and France Move On to Euro 2012 Quarterfinals
- Spain And Italy Move on to Euro 2012 Quarterfinal Round
- Germany and Portugal March into Euro 2012 Quarterfinals
- Coach Del Bosque Signs Contract Extension with Spain
- Czechs and Greeks Advance to Euro 2012 Soccer Quarterfinals
- Fernando Torres Stars in Spain's 4-0 Win Over Ireland
- Euro 2012: Portugal Edges Denmark; Germany Tops Netherlands
- Euro 2012: Czechs Drub Greece; Poland Ties Russia
- Euro 2012: England and France Battle to Draw at Euro 2012
- United States Settles for Tie on Road Against Guatemala
- Euro 2012: Italy Ties Defending Champion Spain; Croatia Dumps Ireland
- Euro 2012: Denmark Shocks Netherlands; Germany Edges Portugal
- Euro 2012: Russia Trounces Czech Republic; Poland-Greece Draw
- World Cup Qualifying: US Faces Tough Challenge in Guatemala
- Sweden Ends Euro 2012 Preparation with Win vs Serbia
- Brazil Downs United States in Exhibition Soccer Match
- Spanish Soccer Squad Unleashes True Form Against South Korea
- Landon Donovan Hat Trick Powers United States Past Scotland
- Offensive-Minded Coach, Goal Scorers Boost US Soccer Team
- Soccer Bridges Distance Between Manchester City and Abu Dhabi
- Manchester City Wins Premiere League Crown After 44 Years
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved