Italy Hopes to Get Key Players Back vs Germany
Italy is doing everything it can to get three injured key players back in action when it takes on Germany in the semifinal round of the European Championship.
Midfielder Daniele De Rossi and defenders Giorgio Chiellini and Ignazio Abate are currently undergoing treatment for injuries and hoping to return against Germany.
"All three are making progress and we will do everything possible, right down to the last minute, to make them available," team doctor Enrico Castellacci said.
De Rossi left Italy's penalty shootout win over England in the 80th minute due to problem with his sciatic nerve. Abate has a muscle problem in his left leg while Chiellini has a left hamstring problem.
Abate's replacement Christian Maggio was ruled out of the semifinal match after picking up a yellow card.
Italy beat England, 4-2, in penalty shootout Sunday while the Germans advanced to the semifinals two days earlier with a 2-0 win over France.
"There is a general state of fatigue in the squad," Castellacci said. "That's to be expected after the stress and emotion of the last few matches. We're doing everything possible to recuperate our energy."
Meanwhile, Italy midfielder Andrea Pirlo is confident that Italy can overcome the heavily favored Germans in the semifinal, claiming that Joachim Loew's players are scared of them.
"They are afraid of us. They know that we can create some problems. There is the same desire as 2006. We are at the level of Spain," Pirlo told goal.com.
"Germany is a very strong team, but we know we can beat them. We have studied them today and we'll do so again in these next two days," he added.
Pirlo added that his team can improve its performance against Germany simply by scoring goals.
"We can score a goal," he said. "Compared to England, Germany is a team that plays, and Mesut Ozil, who I'll find beside me, will be the fulcrum. But we have come here to win."
German coach Joachim Loew is wary of Italy's progress over the past two years and expects a tough game when the two sides clash in their Euro 2012 semi-final in Warsaw
German coach wary of Italy ahead of Euro semi-final
Slideshow of Euro 2012 on June 26, 2012 in Ukraine and Poland, including press conferences of members of German, Portugal and Spain teams, and training sessions of Italy, Portugal and Spain teams.
Euro 2012 in pictures - June 26
Slideshow of Euro 2012 on June 25, 2012 in Poland and Ukraine including a press conference of members of England's national team after their defeat, training sessions of German and Portuguese teams, a press conference of Spanish players, combination pictures of next semifinal matches and a feature in Germany about Nelly the elephant.
Euro 2012 in pictures - June 25
- Spain Tops Italy: Nabs 2nd Straight Euro Championship
- Euro 2012 Finals Preview: Italy vs Spain
- Super Mario Balotelli Lifts Italy Past Germany into Euro Final
- David Beckham Surprise Omission from Great Britain's Olympic Soccer Team
- Spain Tops Portugal in Penalty Shootout, Advances to Euro Final
- Italy Hopes to Get Key Players Back vs Germany
- Spain and Portugal Ready for Euro 2012 Semi-final Battle
- Italy Tops England in Penalty Shootout
- Alonso Sparks Spain Past France into Semifinals
- Germany Posts Record 15th Straight Win, Books Place in Euro 2012 Semis
- Greece Faces Daunting Task vs Germany in Euro 2012 Quarterfinals
- Ronaldo's Header Powers Portugal into Euro 2012 Semis
- England and France Move On to Euro 2012 Quarterfinals
- Spain And Italy Move on to Euro 2012 Quarterfinal Round
- Germany and Portugal March into Euro 2012 Quarterfinals
- Coach Del Bosque Signs Contract Extension with Spain
- Czechs and Greeks Advance to Euro 2012 Soccer Quarterfinals
- Fernando Torres Stars in Spain's 4-0 Win Over Ireland
- Euro 2012: Portugal Edges Denmark; Germany Tops Netherlands
- Euro 2012: Czechs Drub Greece; Poland Ties Russia
- Euro 2012: England and France Battle to Draw at Euro 2012
- United States Settles for Tie on Road Against Guatemala
- Euro 2012: Italy Ties Defending Champion Spain; Croatia Dumps Ireland
- Euro 2012: Denmark Shocks Netherlands; Germany Edges Portugal
- Euro 2012: Russia Trounces Czech Republic; Poland-Greece Draw
- World Cup Qualifying: US Faces Tough Challenge in Guatemala
- Sweden Ends Euro 2012 Preparation with Win vs Serbia
- Brazil Downs United States in Exhibition Soccer Match
- Spanish Soccer Squad Unleashes True Form Against South Korea
- Landon Donovan Hat Trick Powers United States Past Scotland
- Offensive-Minded Coach, Goal Scorers Boost US Soccer Team
- Soccer Bridges Distance Between Manchester City and Abu Dhabi
- Manchester City Wins Premiere League Crown After 44 Years
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved