Sunderland Acquires Winger Johnson From Manchester City
Sunderland has acquired the services of England international Adam Johnson from Manchester City for an undisclosed fee.
After the move became official, the 25-year-old winger immediately signed a four-year contract to play for manager Martin O'Neill.
"Adding quality players to the squad has been our main aim this summer and Adam certainly fits that bill. He has terrific ability, great delivery and I'm sure he is a player who will excite our fans," O'Neill said.
"I couldn't be more delighted to have him at the football club," added O'Neill, who hours earlier signed Wolves striker Steven Fletcher to a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee.
"It has been no secret that we needed to strengthen our attacking options and Steven has a proven track record of scoring goals," O'Neill said.
Johnson and Fletcher will join fellow newcomers Carlos Cuellar from Aston Villa and Louis Saha from Tottenham, who were also recently acquired by O'Neill.
Johnson made 120 appearances for Middlesbrough, scoring 13 goals, and also had brief loan spells at Leeds and Watford. His outstanding play caught the attention of Manchester City, which paid Middlesbrough a reported $11 million to take him to the Etihad Stadium.
Johnson had 97 appearances for City, picking up a Barclays Premier League winners' medal last season. He also won the FA Cup and Community Shield with the north west club, for whom he netted 15 goals.
To date, Johnson has made 234 appearances in all competitions, scoring 36 goals and has represented England 11 times, netting twice.
"It feels fantastic to be here," Johnson said. "I was born here and there have been rumors in the past about me coming here. It's great to have signed and it's a fresh start."
- Gervinho Powers Arsenal Rout of Southampton
- Malaga Striker Saviola Calls Messi 'Best Active Player'
- Usain Bolt Could Play in Friendly for Manchester United
- Zenit Shells Out $62.9M Transfer Fee to Porto for Hulk
- Van Persie Hat Trick Lifts Manchester United Past Southampton
- Manchester City Crushes Queens Park Rangers
- Pia Sundhage Steps Down as US Women's Soccer Coach
- Bayern Munich Snares Javi Martinez for Record $50M Transfer Fee
- How Football Continues to Influence Spanish and Italian Politics
- Tevez's 100th Goal Helps Man City Salvage Draw with Liverpool
- Chelsea Blanks Newcastle, Takes Premier League Lead
- Leg Injury Sidelines Manchester United Striker Wayne Rooney
- Sunderland Acquires Winger Johnson From Manchester City
- Johan Cruyff Blasts Mourinho for 'Only One' Tag
- Everton Spoils Van Persie Manchester United Debut
- Petric Scores Twice as Fulham Blanks Norwich City
- Manchester United Has Tepid NY Stock Market Debut
- USA Women's Soccer: Redemption
- USA Women Defeat Japan to Bag Soccer Gold Medal
- Usain Bolt Eyes Tryout with Manchester United
- Morgan Lifts US Women's Soccer Team Past Canada, Into Finals
- Japan Shocks Spain in Olympic Soccer Opener
- Eddie Johnson Stoppage-time Goal Lifts MLS All-Stars Past Chelsea
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved