- iHaveNet.com: NFL Football
Michael Vick to Meet with Jets
by Fitzgerald Cecilio
New York, NY
Free-agent quarterback Michael Vick is scheduled to meet with the New York Jets
The Jets are eyeing a veteran signal-caller to compete and mentor sophomore Geno Smith.
The Jets have expressed interest in Vick because offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg spent four seasons as his coordinator with the Philadelphia Eagles.
The Jets are battling a deadline because quarterback Mark Sanchez is due a $2 million roster bonus on March 25.
If they sign Vick over the weekend, they almost certainly would release Sanchez, who has a $13.1 million cap charge.
If the Jets fail to land Vick, they'd be in a tough situation. They could ask Sanchez to take a significant pay cut, although the feeling around the league is that they will simply release the former starter.
Vick hasn't generated much interest on the open market even though he's considered by many the top free-agent quarterback. He has been linked to the Oakland Raiders and Buffalo Bills, but the Jets will be his first visit.
Vick, who turns 34 in June, played only seven games last season. He was injured and lost his job to Nick Foles. The Jets were impressed by how Vick handled the situation, and they believe he would be a nice complement to Smith, who endured an inconsistent rookie season.
Smith helped the Jets to an 8-8 record, showing promise over the final four games, but the organization has yet to anoint him as the permanent starter.
- Eagles Owe DeSean Jackson, Fans an Explanation
- From Manhattan to Washington, Indians Get Snookered
- Daniel Snyder Missing the Point in Redskins Name Debate?
- Redskins Sign ex-Eagles Wideout DeSean Jackson
- Donald Trump: 'I was approached by group interested in Bills'
- Eagles Release DeSean Jackson
- Bo Jackson to Russell Wilson: 'Stick to Football'
- NFL Should Allow Use of Medical Marijuana
- Seahawks Win Super Bowl XLVIII
- Walter Jones Leads 2014 Hall of Fame Class
Article: Copyright © - All Rights Reserved