- iHaveNet.com: NFL Football
Mark Sanchez Eager to Start for Eagle
by Fitzgerald Cecilio
Mark Sanchez announced his desire to displace Nick Foles as starting quarterback with the Philadelphia Eagles after being introduced as the Eagles' new backup QB.
"I'm always going to want to start," said Sanchez. "There's nothing wrong with having that drive. I'll keep that fire going and try to help this team the best I can."
Sanchez said that the Eagles was offensively the best fit for him with the kind of leaders they have and for their explosiveness.
The Eagles signed Sanchez to a one-year deal for $2.25 million that includes a $750,000 signing bonus.
The contract also includes up to an additional $1.75 million in bonuses, bringing the maximum value of the deal to $4 million. Sanchez can achieve his bonuses by playing up to 90 percent of the Eagles' offensive plays.
He was released by the New York Jets last Friday as soon as the Michael Vick deal was completed by his former team.
Sanchez, who is recovering from surgery for torn labrum on his throwing shoulder and had arthroscopic knee surgery last season, underwent a medical exam Thursday.
He resumed throwing recently and is said to be about 80 percent healthy.
Sanchez, 27, is 33-29 as a starter and has four playoff victories.
He was the presumed opening game starter last season before injuring his shoulder in a preseason game.
The fifth overall pick in the 2009 draft, Sanchez reached the AFC Championship Game in his first two seasons.
Nick Foles is 'a heck of a player, incredible talent'
- Eagles Owe DeSean Jackson, Fans an Explanation
- From Manhattan to Washington, Indians Get Snookered
- Daniel Snyder Missing the Point in Redskins Name Debate?
- Redskins Sign ex-Eagles Wideout DeSean Jackson
- Donald Trump: 'I was approached by group interested in Bills'
- Eagles Release DeSean Jackson
- Bo Jackson to Russell Wilson: 'Stick to Football'
- NFL Should Allow Use of Medical Marijuana
- Seahawks Win Super Bowl XLVIII
- Walter Jones Leads 2014 Hall of Fame Class
Article: Copyright © - All Rights Reserved
Mark Sanchez Eager to Start for Eagles