San Francisco, CA
Google is pulling the plug on less used, outdated and redundant services Google Video, iGoogle, Google Mini, the Symbian Search App and Google Talk Chatback, according to the search engine's blogpost.
Google Video, which stopped taking uploads in May 2009, will cease to exist on Aug. 20 and its content transferred to YouTube. Google said users have until that date to delete, migrate or download their videos from the site.
iGoogle launched in 2005 will be retired Nov. 1, 2013 as modern apps that run on platforms like Chrome and Android have rendered the service obsolete, which allowed for a customizable Google.com homepage, Matt Eichner, general manager of Google's global enterprise search, said in the blogpost.
Google Mini's functionality will be taken over by Google Search Appliance, Google Site Search and Google Commerce Search. The enterprise search service will shut down on July 31.
Google Talk Chatback is outdated and its service will be replaced by Meebo, an instant messaging program which supported multiple IM services, including Google Talk.
The Symbian Search app is being retired as Google now has its own mobile Web search service.
Eichner said Google has taken into consideration the implications to users of closing the said products and services. He said the move will improved its services by allowing the company to focus on "creating beautiful technology."
Previously, Google also stopped the Google Buzz service, Aardvark, Flip, Google Labs and Boutiques.com.
- Pennsylvania Hospitals Finding Patients on Google and Facebook
- Google Purges Outdated and Redundant Services
- How Much Does Google Stand to Profit From its Nexus 7 Tablet?
- Apple Cooks up DIY iOS Apps
- Clearing the Online App Store Submission Hurdle
- How to Design a Retail App
- Tune It Up: Developing Music Apps
- Nice Gesture, But What Does It Mean
- The Surprising Health Benefits of Texting
- Big Cable's Plan to Lock Down Your Future
- Ready for HTML5
- FDA Seeks to Tame Exploding Medical App Market
- Building a Productivity App
- App Developer Competitions: Worth It?
- Google Announces Nexus 7 Tablet PC
- Microsoft Unveils New Surface Tablet
- Tribute to the TV Remote Control
- The Internet Enhances Beer Muscles
- To App or Not to App?
- Which OS Should You Target?
- Taking a Break from Emails Decreases Stress
- New Facebook Effort Targets Educating School Counselors
- Verizon's High-Speed Internet Collusion
- RapidShare: Megaupload File-Sharing Pirates Are Unwelcome
- Twitter Cuts Two Ways
- China's Cyber 'Predators' Must Be Stopped
- CISPA Lacks Protections for Individual Rights
- CISPA Not the Right Way to Achieve Cybersecurity
- CISPA Effectively Addresses Threat of Cybercrime
- Dawn of the Phablet
- Price-Fixing Suit Could be a Spot on Apple
- Avoiding Fragmented Infrastructure in the Data Center
- Internet Service Providers Close to Implementing System to Punish Piracy
- Inside the Silicon Valley Gender Gap
- Why the FCC Fined Google Just 68 Seconds in Profits
- Is There an Internet Off Switch?
- Power of the iMob
- Widespread Android Virus Could Hide in Popular App Updates
- Under the Hood: A Look Inside the Ultrabook
- That's Entertainment: 3D Leaps From Theater to Home
- Are You a Tech Geek?
- Is Your Office Preparing For an iPad Insurgency?
- How to Find Happiness on Social Networks
- The Pirate Bay to Fly 'Server Drones' to Avoid Law Enforcement
- DevOps: Indispensable Approach or Costly Distraction?
- New Programming Languages to Watch
- How to Conquer Tech Buyer's Remorse
- Trade in Your Old Gadgets for Cash or Credit
- Why the New iPad Features Don't Really Matter
- Chinese Computer Games
- Why Do We Need Intelligent Desktop Virtualization?
- Lawsuit Says Facebook Tracks Users After Logging Out
Copyright © 2012 AHN. All rights reserved