Why Your Dog Needs Vaccinations
Dr. Tracy Dewhirst
Why Your Dog Needs Vaccinations
Health care trends make the news and can even change how medicine is conducted. Popular thought in medicine sometimes saves lives, but it can also be detrimental and, in the worst scenarios, life-threatening. The recent trend to stop giving dogs vaccinations has veterinarians treating more preventable diseases and questioning why anyone would risk their dog's life when a cheap solution exists.
The anti-vaccine trend seems to have begun with the concern raised in human medicine that autism might be linked to childhood vaccines. When the possibility of a connection was raised, reports struck fear in parents. And despite the medical community's research to prove otherwise and the investigation into fraudulent reporting, the scare has not calmed.
Dog Vaccinations Save Lives
Internet hype now has dog owners concerned about vaccines being harmful. Some owners are going as far as to avoid vaccinations altogether. Not vaccinating animals is a recipe for disaster, both on an individual level and as a public health risk.
Today, Americans and their dogs have the good fortune to live in a time in which vaccines are widely used and diseases such as parvovirus, distemper and rabies are scarce. However, I still see a handful of dogs die each year from these diseases. The pathogens we vaccinate against are lethal to dogs, which is why the vaccines were originally developed. Before dog vaccinations were developed, canines died horrible deaths and owners were sometimes forced to end their animals' suffering. Remember Old Yeller?
Science Doesn't Back the No-vaccine Movement
There are a few veterinarians, even one or two specialists, who claim all dog vaccines are harmful. I classify these people as "extremist." Like most extremists, they use fear to motivate their audience because they lack the science to prove their claims.
Dr. Keith Hnilica, a veterinary dermatologist in Knoxville, Tenn., says no research to date validates the claims that vaccines cause allergies in dogs. The latest theory being discussed is that vaccines might actually help allergic animals by redirecting the immune system, explains Hnilica.
People want answers and are sometimes willing to believe false information if it fits the need. They will accuse a vaccine of causing an allergy, metabolic problem or chronic disease based on a heart-wrenching anecdotal story.
Vaccinate Your Dog
The non-vaccine coalition claims that vets who promote vaccines do so only to line their pockets. Medicine is not perfect, but years of scientific research versus scary stories seems like a no-brainer to me. I work in an evidence-based world in which veterinarians spend a lot of time evaluating the risks for dog vaccinations, drugs, diagnostic tests and medical procedures so they can help animals live healthier lives.
The advice I give to dog owners who are considering not vaccinating their pets is to steer away from extremes. There is a reason why dogs live longer now than in any other time in history: vaccines.
Visit AAHANet.org to read the most recent vaccine recommendations by the American Animal Hospital Association and the American Veterinary Medical Association.
Recent Pet Articles
- Is Your Dog Ready for Agility?
- When Should You Tell Your Dog 'No'?
- How to Plan a First-class Puppy Playgroup
- Dog Lovers: You Too Can Have a Garden!
- Are Tennis Balls Safe for Your Dog?
- 4 Simple Steps to Stop Dog Jumping
- Minimize the Shedding: Essential Springtime Dog-grooming Tips
- Grooming Curly-haired Dogs
- Why Your Dog Needs Vaccinations
- Old Wives' Tales About Dogs: Dispelled
- New Supplement Can Help Your Dog's Digestion
- What Snoring Says About Your Dog's Health
- The Dog Olympics
- Stop Cat Bullying
- Turn Your Cat Into a Social Media Star
- Best Books for Cat Lovers
- Improve Your Senior Cat's Eating Behavior
- Find Your Perfect Kitten
- Don't Declaw Your Cat: Furniture-saving Tips and Tricks
- Common Eye Problems in Cats
- Cat Displacement Behavior
- Luxury Hotels for Cats
- The Right Way to Handle Puppy Behavior Issues
- The Silken Windhound: A Low-maintenance Beauty
- Is Your Puppy Ready for Sports?
- Dog-friendly Spring-cleaning: A How-to Guide
- Dog Training Partner
- How to Help Keep an Aging Cat Healthy
- Do Bored Cats Sleep More?
- The Agile Cat
- Cat Athletes With Summer Olympics Talents
- Why Cats Have Whiskers
- 5 Ways to Save on Pet Costs
- 10 Questions a Dog Breeder Wants to Ask You
- Puppy Socialization: A Trainer's Top Tips
- The Real Story Behind Dog Odors
- Apps for Dogs
- Easy Ways to Reduce Pet Allergens in Your Home
- Benefits of Owning a Senior Dog
- What Makes a Dog Yawn?
- 10 Ways to Keep Your Dog Happy This Spring
- Are You Protecting Your Dog's Health?
- Does Breeding Impact Dog Behavior?
- Dog Treadmills: Safe or Hazardous?
- The Irish Setter: Fun Wears a Red Coat
- How to Read Your Dog
- Games to Download for Your Cat
- Is It Too Late to Train Your Senior Cat?
- How Cats Show Their Happiness
- Natural Ways to Eliminate Litter Box Odor
- Are You Protecting Your Cat's Health?
- Is a Toy Dog Breed Your Best Match?
- Introducing Your Older Dog to Your New Puppy
- True Stories of Presidential Dogs
- Off the Beaten Career Path With Dogs
- Best Sleep Position for Dogs
- Keep Your Dog Safe on Night Walks
- How to Exercise Your Cat
- Why Your Cat Acts Stressed and Anxious
- Hidden Causes of Cat Obesity
- Lower Your Stress with a Cat
- The Cat Connection to Dating and Romance
- Make Your Senior Dog Feel at Home
- Top 5 Ways to Improve Life for Your Senior Dog
- Healthy Nutrition for Your Senior Dog
- How to Care for Your Arthritic Dog
- How to Introduce Your Puppy to Your Cat
- Tibetan Spaniels: The Dog for Cat People
- How You and Your Dog Can Go Green
- Dieting With My Dog
- Dog Fitness Centers
- Running With Your Dog During Cooler Weather
- Take Care of Your Dog's Hot Spots
- How to Introduce a New Pet to Your Old Pet
- Should You Clothe Your Cat?
- Cat Sleep Routines
- Can You Give Your Cat a Bath?
- Healthy Nutrition for Your Senior Cat
- Top 3 Apps for Cats
- Breed Match
- Doga: Yoga Your Dog Will Love
- Groom Your Dog Like a Pro
- Puppy, Get That out of Your Mouth!
- Terminate Stinky Dog Breath
- The Schipperke: Escape Artist Extraordinaire
- Help Your Dog Cope With Holiday Guests
- Coping With the Loss of a Dog
- Cat Breeds for Dog Lovers
- Teach Your Dog to Enjoy Your Garden Without Destroying It
- How to Play Tug-of-war With Dogs
- Size up Your Puppy's Food
- What's Not to Love About Yorkies?
- What to Ask a Dog Breeder
- Train Your Aggressive, Biting Kitten
- Can Cats Find Their Way Home?
- Caring for Your Arthritic Cat
- Keep Your Cat Calm During Storms
- Top 5 Ways to Improve Life for Your Senior Cat
Copyright © 2012 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.