by Dr. Jessica Vogelsang
Pet lovers, retailers and buyers converged in Orlando, for the 2012 Global Pet Expo, one of the world's largest pet trade shows. This show featured the newest and spiffiest items that will be hitting store shelves this year for picky pet parents. It was hard to pick just five favorites off the massive trade show floor, but here are my top picks for the best dog products of the year:
1. Best Utility Belt: WagletWorks
Developed by a couple with a background in the film industry, the WagletWorks system is modeled after the utilitarian belts worn by film crews in Hollywood. Buyers can design their own systems with clip-on items such as waste bags, leashes, water bottles and bowls, all designed to sit ergonomically just above your hip bone.
2. Best Medical Device: BooBooLoon
Forget the cone of shame; satellite dishes are so 2000. Dog owners have long bemoaned the uncomfortable, ungainly e-collars sent home with pets after surgery. The BooBooLoon is a lightweight inflatable collar that keeps your dog away from its incision, without weighing your pet down or impeding its hearing. Best of all, your dog can still reach its water bowl.
3. Best Food Bowl: Aikiou Food Activity Center
Feeding time can be more than a mindless ingestion of calories. The Aikiou dog bowl engages a dog's innate instinct to forage for food by presenting it with a series of challenges to get to its kibble. In addition, slowing down the rate of eating can help prevent bloat in at-risk dogs. Best of all, the bowl is dishwasher-safe and easy to use.
4. Best Safety Product: Kurgo TruFit Smart Harness
The biggest cause of injury to pets after a car accident is not the accident itself, but being injured in the aftermath when a scared dog is running loose on the road. Keep your pet secure on the road with the Kurgo harness, a device that does double duty as a regular walking harness in addition to buckling into your vehicle's safety belt.
5. Best Bed: P.L.A.Y Dog's Life Lounge Bed
Stylish owners don't want to leave a sloppy-looking dog bed lying about like a forgotten couch pillow. They can rejoice with the well-made P.L.A.Y Lounge Bed, which features washable liners, reversible cushions and exterior and an eco-friendly recycled stuffing that feels nothing like the plastic bottles from which it was derived. It's snazzy and eco-friendly. Now that's a winning combination.
- Is Your Dog Cut out for Field Trials?
- Should You Crate-train Your Puppy?
- How to Play Soccer With Your Dog
- The Best Way for Your Dog to Ride in the Car with You
- Good Dog Park Etiquette
- What Is Freestyle Dancing With Dogs?
- Canicross: An Easier Way to Run With Your Dog
- Reading Your Dog's Body Language
- Kitten Kindergarten
- Tips to Keep Your Dog Safe While Flying
- Keep Your Dog Warm in the Winter
- Scottish Deerhound: The Ideal Exercise Buddy
- Teach Your Dog to Fetch
- Is Your Dog Bored?
- 7 Ways to Pamper Your Cat
- The Best Games to Play With Your High-Energy Dog
- Dog Feeding Mishaps Corrected
- How to Succeed at Off-Leash Dog Play
- ID Your Relationship With Your Cat
- Photographing Your Elusive Feline
- How to Keep Your Pet Safe During the Holidays
- When Good Dogs Turn Bad
- From Finicky Fido to Chowhound Charlie
- Insure Your Kitty's Health
- Unconditional Love: My Cat Forgives Me Every Day
- From Feline to Family Member
- Is Water From a Christmas Tree Stand Harmful to Cats?
- A Day in the Life of a Sheepherding Dog
- Go on a Desert Retreat With Your Dog
- Dog Food Goes Natural and Holistic
- Determining a Food Allergy
- Exercise Gone to the Dogs
- Find the Right Sport for Your Dog
- Make Your Dog a Part of Your Wedding
- Hydrotherapy Helps Dogs Get in Shape
- How Your Cat Says 'I Love You'
- Lost Cats Found
- De-stress Veterinary Visits for Your Cat
- Keeping Cat Food Fresh
- Second-Hand Cat, First-Rate Pet
Pets | Dogs: Top 5 New Dog Products