by The Dog Daily
Who can blame dogs for wanting to sleep on their owners' bed? The bed is warm and comfortable, and it's where your pup's favorite friends are choosing to rest. The doggy bed on the floor -- no matter how big and fancy -- could never hold the same appeal.
Some dogs are angels in bed, staying quiet and keeping to their own dedicated section of blanket real estate. Others become so happy that they cannot contain their enthusiasm. These exuberant dogs, like yours, wind up digging, jumping, pulling at covers, and acting like an adolescent at a sleepover party.
Wendy Nan Rees and Kristen Hampshire, co-authors of the Dog Lover's Daily Companion: 365 Days of Tips, Tricks and Techniques for Living a Rich Life With Your Dog, suggest the following:
Get your dog to settle down before bedtime by placing it in its crate or on a doggy mat. Provide a chew toy. Say, "Sit. Stay. Good dog." When your dog has settled down, invite it back onto the bed.
Speaking of that doggy mat, place it -- or the crate -- by the bed. Use it as a time-out zone for when your Yorkshire terrier misbehaves on the bed.
You should always try to feed and walk your dog several hours before bedtime. If your pet hasn't had such quality time with you, it will try to initiate that quality time at night. Dogs, like humans, need to wind down before retiring. Your pet should be ready for rest when it tucks into bed with you and your husband.
Your dog is a guest in your bed, so treat the situation as such. Although your pet is invited and wanted, it must be on its best behavior so as to not wear out its welcome.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Is Your Dog Cut out for Field Trials?
- Should You Crate-train Your Puppy?
- How to Play Soccer With Your Dog
- The Best Way for Your Dog to Ride in the Car with You
- Good Dog Park Etiquette
- What Is Freestyle Dancing With Dogs?
- Canicross: An Easier Way to Run With Your Dog
- Reading Your Dog's Body Language
- Kitten Kindergarten
- Tips to Keep Your Dog Safe While Flying
- Keep Your Dog Warm in the Winter
- Scottish Deerhound: The Ideal Exercise Buddy
- Teach Your Dog to Fetch
- Is Your Dog Bored?
- 7 Ways to Pamper Your Cat
- The Best Games to Play With Your High-Energy Dog
- Dog Feeding Mishaps Corrected
- How to Succeed at Off-Leash Dog Play
- ID Your Relationship With Your Cat
- Photographing Your Elusive Feline
- How to Keep Your Pet Safe During the Holidays
- When Good Dogs Turn Bad
- From Finicky Fido to Chowhound Charlie
- Insure Your Kitty's Health
- Unconditional Love: My Cat Forgives Me Every Day
- From Feline to Family Member
- Is Water From a Christmas Tree Stand Harmful to Cats?
- A Day in the Life of a Sheepherding Dog
- Go on a Desert Retreat With Your Dog
- Dog Food Goes Natural and Holistic
- Determining a Food Allergy
- Exercise Gone to the Dogs
- Find the Right Sport for Your Dog
- Make Your Dog a Part of Your Wedding
- Hydrotherapy Helps Dogs Get in Shape
- How Your Cat Says 'I Love You'
- Lost Cats Found
- De-stress Veterinary Visits for Your Cat
- Keeping Cat Food Fresh
- Second-Hand Cat, First-Rate Pet
Pets | Dogs: Letting Your Dog Sleep on the Bed