by Paris Permenter and John Bigley
Reflective clothing, glow sticks and even LED bracelets can be used by dog walkers for additional visibility, but the market also features a wide variety of products that are specifically designed to keep your dog visible at night and in case your dog should get out of your grasp on your evening stroll.
Like its name suggests, this small light attracts the attention of those around you and your dog. The Beacon can be clipped on your dog's collar or coat, or on yourself. Three settings -- a constant glow, a fast flash or a slow flash -- can be used so you can distinguish multiple dogs in the dark.
Both LED collars and leashes are available from Dog-e-Glow in a variety of styles, from camo to an extensive collegiate football collection. Collars and leashes can be set to remain on throughout the walk or to blink for even more visibility.
These German-engineered LED collars run on AAA batteries and simply slip over your dog's head. They're even waterproof so you won't have to worry if your dog takes a snowy roll on a winter night, or a dip in the lake on a summer evening.
This reflective safety jacket, available in bright green or orange, also features 3M Scotchlite trim for extra visibility. The lightweight jacket also includes a top loop for hanging a light.
Visible for up to 1,000 feet thanks to LED lights and reflective and glow-in-the-dark strips, this buckle collar can be worn all the time and features a padded interior. Requiring no batteries, the collar can be recharged via a USB port or with an included wall outlet charger.
Paris Permenter and John Bigley are the founders of DogTipper.com and the authors of Barkonomics: Tips for Frugal Fidos.
- Is Your Dog Cut out for Field Trials?
- Should You Crate-train Your Puppy?
- How to Play Soccer With Your Dog
- The Best Way for Your Dog to Ride in the Car with You
- Good Dog Park Etiquette
- What Is Freestyle Dancing With Dogs?
- Canicross: An Easier Way to Run With Your Dog
- Reading Your Dog's Body Language
- Kitten Kindergarten
- Tips to Keep Your Dog Safe While Flying
- Keep Your Dog Warm in the Winter
- Scottish Deerhound: The Ideal Exercise Buddy
- Teach Your Dog to Fetch
- Is Your Dog Bored?
- 7 Ways to Pamper Your Cat
- The Best Games to Play With Your High-Energy Dog
- Dog Feeding Mishaps Corrected
- How to Succeed at Off-Leash Dog Play
- ID Your Relationship With Your Cat
- Photographing Your Elusive Feline
- How to Keep Your Pet Safe During the Holidays
- When Good Dogs Turn Bad
- From Finicky Fido to Chowhound Charlie
- Insure Your Kitty's Health
- Unconditional Love: My Cat Forgives Me Every Day
- From Feline to Family Member
- Is Water From a Christmas Tree Stand Harmful to Cats?
- A Day in the Life of a Sheepherding Dog
- Go on a Desert Retreat With Your Dog
- Dog Food Goes Natural and Holistic
- Determining a Food Allergy
- Exercise Gone to the Dogs
- Find the Right Sport for Your Dog
- Make Your Dog a Part of Your Wedding
- Hydrotherapy Helps Dogs Get in Shape
- How Your Cat Says 'I Love You'
- Lost Cats Found
- De-stress Veterinary Visits for Your Cat
- Keeping Cat Food Fresh
- Second-Hand Cat, First-Rate Pet
Pets | Dogs: Keep Your Dog Safe on Night Walks