by Carol Bryant
Dogs, like humans, sleep in all sorts of positions.
Some snooze on their sides. Others sleep with their tummies on the ground and their heads faced down. Still others, like yours, prefer the stomach-up position.
Anecdotally, and by my observations of dogs that do this, many choose to expose their stomachs to cool down. Dogs sweat through the pads on their paws, so exposing the stomach, which is generally less covered with fur and with more skin exposed, can provide a rapid, comfy cool-down when temps climb.
But there's another reason why dogs sleep in this position, and it is very good news for owners like you. According to Wendy Nan Rees and Kristen Hampshire, authors of the Dog Lover's Daily Companion, dogs sleep back-to-back when they are bonding. It's a submissive position, so each is telling the other that they have trust and goodwill. Sometimes the alpha dog will snooze in a slightly higher position, just to make sure that status within the pack is maintained.
When your dog sleeps in a stomach-up position near or next to you, he is then demonstrating how much he trusts you. Wolves in the wild never assume this sleeping pose, simply because it is too vulnerable and dangerous. Your dog must have sweet dreams, since it is in the primo position for ultimate comfort and sense of security.
- Is Your Dog Cut out for Field Trials?
- Should You Crate-train Your Puppy?
- How to Play Soccer With Your Dog
- The Best Way for Your Dog to Ride in the Car with You
- Good Dog Park Etiquette
- What Is Freestyle Dancing With Dogs?
- Canicross: An Easier Way to Run With Your Dog
- Reading Your Dog's Body Language
- Kitten Kindergarten
- Tips to Keep Your Dog Safe While Flying
- Keep Your Dog Warm in the Winter
- Scottish Deerhound: The Ideal Exercise Buddy
- Teach Your Dog to Fetch
- Is Your Dog Bored?
- 7 Ways to Pamper Your Cat
- The Best Games to Play With Your High-Energy Dog
- Dog Feeding Mishaps Corrected
- How to Succeed at Off-Leash Dog Play
- ID Your Relationship With Your Cat
- Photographing Your Elusive Feline
- How to Keep Your Pet Safe During the Holidays
- When Good Dogs Turn Bad
- From Finicky Fido to Chowhound Charlie
- Insure Your Kitty's Health
- Unconditional Love: My Cat Forgives Me Every Day
- From Feline to Family Member
- Is Water From a Christmas Tree Stand Harmful to Cats?
- A Day in the Life of a Sheepherding Dog
- Go on a Desert Retreat With Your Dog
- Dog Food Goes Natural and Holistic
- Determining a Food Allergy
- Exercise Gone to the Dogs
- Find the Right Sport for Your Dog
- Make Your Dog a Part of Your Wedding
- Hydrotherapy Helps Dogs Get in Shape
- How Your Cat Says 'I Love You'
- Lost Cats Found
- De-stress Veterinary Visits for Your Cat
- Keeping Cat Food Fresh
- Second-Hand Cat, First-Rate Pet
Pets | Dogs: Best Sleep Position for Dogs