- LATIN AMERICA
- MIDDLE EAST
- United Kingdom
- United States
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- iHaveNet.com: Pets
by Stacey Brecher
You cat's purr is the tool that it uses to communicate with you.
It may purr for many different reasons, but all of them are to get your attention so you know how your cat is feeling.
"Cats purr when you pet them, when they eat and even when they don't feel well," says author Jeanne Adlon, who is also a professional cat sitter. "They also purr when they are happy and content. Cats can be different and varied, just like people."
There are different varieties of purrs that your cat can make. Says Adlon: "In addition to a normal purr when you're stroking your cat, there's the silent purr, when you feel the vibration of the purr as you pet the cat's body but may not hear it. Then, there's the loud purr, which you can hear sometimes from across the room. Loud purrs seem to come from a cat that is simply content on its own."
Purrs are not the only sounds that help your cat communicate with you.
If your cat is frightened or upset, it can hiss, which acts as a warning. The other sound that we all know is a meow, which means your cat is hungry or wants attention. "When cats play together, they also often meow in friendship," says Adlon.
AUTOS | HOBBIES | EDUCATION | FAMILY | FASHION | FOOD & RECIPES | HOME DECOR | RELATIONSHIPS | PARENTING | PETS | TRAVEL | WOMEN
PET STORIES and PET ARTICLES ...
- Is Your Dog Cut out for Field Trials?
- Should You Crate-train Your Puppy?
- How to Play Soccer With Your Dog
- The Best Way for Your Dog to Ride in the Car with You
- Good Dog Park Etiquette
- What Is Freestyle Dancing With Dogs?
- Canicross: An Easier Way to Run With Your Dog
- Reading Your Dog's Body Language
- Kitten Kindergarten
- Tips to Keep Your Dog Safe While Flying
- Keep Your Dog Warm in the Winter
- Scottish Deerhound: The Ideal Exercise Buddy
- Teach Your Dog to Fetch
- Is Your Dog Bored?
- 7 Ways to Pamper Your Cat
- The Best Games to Play With Your High-Energy Dog
- Dog Feeding Mishaps Corrected
- How to Succeed at Off-Leash Dog Play
- ID Your Relationship With Your Cat
- Photographing Your Elusive Feline
- How to Keep Your Pet Safe During the Holidays
- When Good Dogs Turn Bad
- From Finicky Fido to Chowhound Charlie
- Insure Your Kitty's Health
- Unconditional Love: My Cat Forgives Me Every Day
- From Feline to Family Member
- Is Water From a Christmas Tree Stand Harmful to Cats?
- A Day in the Life of a Sheepherding Dog
- Go on a Desert Retreat With Your Dog
- Dog Food Goes Natural and Holistic
- Determining a Food Allergy
- Exercise Gone to the Dogs
- Find the Right Sport for Your Dog
- Make Your Dog a Part of Your Wedding
- Hydrotherapy Helps Dogs Get in Shape
- How Your Cat Says 'I Love You'
- Lost Cats Found
- De-stress Veterinary Visits for Your Cat
- Keeping Cat Food Fresh
- Second-Hand Cat, First-Rate Pet
Pets | Cats: Understanding Cat Purring