by Dr. Jessica Vogelsang
Every year, pet retailers show up in force at the Global Pet Expo in Orlando, Fla., to show off the newest and greatest products for pets.
Here are the top five picks for up-and-coming items for your favorite feline:
The Stimulo Interactive Food Bowl
Most pet owners are familiar with the concept of puzzle feeders for dogs, which force pets to become actively involved in obtaining their food. But finding a similar product for cats has been a challenge. Aikiou has stepped up to the plate with the innovative Stimulo feeder, which features vertical tubes of various heights into which cats must dive in order to fish out their food.
Available at Amazon.com: Stimulo Cat Feeding Station and Activity Center
KatPak Disposable Litter Boxes
Anyone who has had the pleasure of going on a long drive with cats knows the drama of figuring out how to handle the litter box. Do you use disposable trays? Lug around a full-sized box? This clever disposable box from KatPak lasts up to seven days; when you're done, just grab the whole container and dump it in the trash. Travel just got a whole lot easier.
Available at Amazon.com: KatPak Disposable Litter Boxes
The Refined Feline's Kitty Ball Bed
Cat owners are always on the lookout for stylish kitty beds that fit into a modern home. The Refined Feline's Kitty Ball Bed has multiple things going for it: It's made of eco-friendly bamboo; it's elevated, which appeals to many cats that eschew lying on the floor; and it has a groovy spherical shape that even Austin Powers would approve of.
Available at Amazon.com: The Refined Feline's Kitty Ball Bed
Few things are as universally reviled as the musty smell of cat messes. The chemists at Zero Odor spent more than a decade creating a product that not only masks the smell, but also bonds to the odor-causing matter at a molecular level to neutralize it.
Available at Amazon.com: Zero Odor
Catswall Modular Cat Climbing Wall
Is it wall art? Is it a perch? The Catswall modular climbing wall is both. It's a truly innovative set of boxes and perches that owners can put on their walls in an infinite number of patterns to give their pets a fun vertical space to play and rest. The light wood and cute cutouts are fresh, modern and just as fun for owners as they are for the lucky cats that get to climb on them.
- Is Your Dog Cut out for Field Trials?
- Should You Crate-train Your Puppy?
- How to Play Soccer With Your Dog
- The Best Way for Your Dog to Ride in the Car with You
- Good Dog Park Etiquette
- What Is Freestyle Dancing With Dogs?
- Canicross: An Easier Way to Run With Your Dog
- Reading Your Dog's Body Language
- Kitten Kindergarten
- Tips to Keep Your Dog Safe While Flying
- Keep Your Dog Warm in the Winter
- Scottish Deerhound: The Ideal Exercise Buddy
- Teach Your Dog to Fetch
- Is Your Dog Bored?
- 7 Ways to Pamper Your Cat
- The Best Games to Play With Your High-Energy Dog
- Dog Feeding Mishaps Corrected
- How to Succeed at Off-Leash Dog Play
- ID Your Relationship With Your Cat
- Photographing Your Elusive Feline
- How to Keep Your Pet Safe During the Holidays
- When Good Dogs Turn Bad
- From Finicky Fido to Chowhound Charlie
- Insure Your Kitty's Health
- Unconditional Love: My Cat Forgives Me Every Day
- From Feline to Family Member
- Is Water From a Christmas Tree Stand Harmful to Cats?
- A Day in the Life of a Sheepherding Dog
- Go on a Desert Retreat With Your Dog
- Dog Food Goes Natural and Holistic
- Determining a Food Allergy
- Exercise Gone to the Dogs
- Find the Right Sport for Your Dog
- Make Your Dog a Part of Your Wedding
- Hydrotherapy Helps Dogs Get in Shape
- How Your Cat Says 'I Love You'
- Lost Cats Found
- De-stress Veterinary Visits for Your Cat
- Keeping Cat Food Fresh
- Second-Hand Cat, First-Rate Pet
Pets | Cats: Top 5 New Cat Products