by Stacey Brecher
Can your guests tell that you have cats, just by sniffing the air? Removing litter box odors in a chemical-free way will make your home healthier and more pleasant for you and your cat.
For an inexpensive and safe odor-eliminating kitty litter, make your own by using baking soda. Sprinkle a thin layer of baking soda into the box before pouring in your regular litter. Baking soda is extremely absorbent and helps eliminate not only moisture, but odors too.
White vinegar is a natural, inexpensive cleaning solution that can help you eliminate odors in the litter box. Empty all of the litter out of the box and fill the box with 1/2 inch of vinegar. Let the vinegar sit for 15 minutes. Mix some warm water into the vinegar and scrub the box, and then dump out the mixture. Rinse and dry the litter box and refill it with fresh kitty litter. The vinegar is strong and acidic, so it beats those tough odors -- without harming your cat.
Other Ways to Remove Odors
For an easier way to reduce odors, simply use less litter in the box. Reduce the amount of litter over time if you think it will upset your cat. With less litter, you will be able to see the waste that needs to be removed; it won't be hiding deep in the litter, where it emits odors into your home.
Another option is to replace your regular kitty litter with wood pellets. This is a natural litter that works by absorbing the liquid waste and neutralizing the odor. Wood pellets are environmentally friendly and wallet-friendly.
Finally, try replacing your litter box once a year to cut back on lingering smells.
- Is Your Dog Cut out for Field Trials?
- Should You Crate-train Your Puppy?
- How to Play Soccer With Your Dog
- The Best Way for Your Dog to Ride in the Car with You
- Good Dog Park Etiquette
- What Is Freestyle Dancing With Dogs?
- Canicross: An Easier Way to Run With Your Dog
- Reading Your Dog's Body Language
- Kitten Kindergarten
- Tips to Keep Your Dog Safe While Flying
- Keep Your Dog Warm in the Winter
- Scottish Deerhound: The Ideal Exercise Buddy
- Teach Your Dog to Fetch
- Is Your Dog Bored?
- 7 Ways to Pamper Your Cat
- The Best Games to Play With Your High-Energy Dog
- Dog Feeding Mishaps Corrected
- How to Succeed at Off-Leash Dog Play
- ID Your Relationship With Your Cat
- Photographing Your Elusive Feline
- How to Keep Your Pet Safe During the Holidays
- When Good Dogs Turn Bad
- From Finicky Fido to Chowhound Charlie
- Insure Your Kitty's Health
- Unconditional Love: My Cat Forgives Me Every Day
- From Feline to Family Member
- Is Water From a Christmas Tree Stand Harmful to Cats?
- A Day in the Life of a Sheepherding Dog
- Go on a Desert Retreat With Your Dog
- Dog Food Goes Natural and Holistic
- Determining a Food Allergy
- Exercise Gone to the Dogs
- Find the Right Sport for Your Dog
- Make Your Dog a Part of Your Wedding
- Hydrotherapy Helps Dogs Get in Shape
- How Your Cat Says 'I Love You'
- Lost Cats Found
- De-stress Veterinary Visits for Your Cat
- Keeping Cat Food Fresh
- Second-Hand Cat, First-Rate Pet
Copyright © All rights reserved.
Pets | Cats: Natural Ways to Eliminate Litter Box Odor