by Dorian Wagner
If you have cats, chances are you also have a shredded piece of furniture -- or two. The edge of the couch, the corner of your bed, the side of your favorite chair -- they're all fair game as far as your cat and its claws are concerned.
You've probably tried to lure your cat's claws away from your nice furniture with various kinds of scratching posts or cardboard scratch boxes, only to find out your cat would rather sleep on its new scratcher than scratch it, and your couch is still suffering.
If this is you and you're at your wits' end, I'm about to change your world: Get a microfiber couch.
My oldest cat has personally retired three couches in his 12 years of living with me. It's his claim to fame, and I figured I'd just be resigned to shredded furniture. Part of having a cat, right? Until someone told me about microfiber.
Microfiber fabric is soft and smooth, which is the exact opposite of the type of fabric cats like to scratch. Cats scratch to file their nails, and this fabric won't help them there -- and they know it. I've had my microfiber couch for almost two years, and it doesn't have a single snag, tear, hole or pull. Any of my other couches would have looked like a bird's nest by now.
Besides being scratch-resistant, microfiber is a fairly tough fabric. I've heard claws go in, and the occasional crazy cat will fling himself off the side, but I never notice a claw mark or poke. All in all, it's a great couch fabric for people who have cats that like to scratch.
- Is Your Dog Cut out for Field Trials?
- Should You Crate-train Your Puppy?
- How to Play Soccer With Your Dog
- The Best Way for Your Dog to Ride in the Car with You
- Good Dog Park Etiquette
- What Is Freestyle Dancing With Dogs?
- Canicross: An Easier Way to Run With Your Dog
- Reading Your Dog's Body Language
- Kitten Kindergarten
- Tips to Keep Your Dog Safe While Flying
- Keep Your Dog Warm in the Winter
- Scottish Deerhound: The Ideal Exercise Buddy
- Teach Your Dog to Fetch
- Is Your Dog Bored?
- 7 Ways to Pamper Your Cat
- The Best Games to Play With Your High-Energy Dog
- Dog Feeding Mishaps Corrected
- How to Succeed at Off-Leash Dog Play
- ID Your Relationship With Your Cat
- Photographing Your Elusive Feline
- How to Keep Your Pet Safe During the Holidays
- When Good Dogs Turn Bad
- From Finicky Fido to Chowhound Charlie
- Insure Your Kitty's Health
- Unconditional Love: My Cat Forgives Me Every Day
- From Feline to Family Member
- Is Water From a Christmas Tree Stand Harmful to Cats?
- A Day in the Life of a Sheepherding Dog
- Go on a Desert Retreat With Your Dog
- Dog Food Goes Natural and Holistic
- Determining a Food Allergy
- Exercise Gone to the Dogs
- Find the Right Sport for Your Dog
- Make Your Dog a Part of Your Wedding
- Hydrotherapy Helps Dogs Get in Shape
- How Your Cat Says 'I Love You'
- Lost Cats Found
- De-stress Veterinary Visits for Your Cat
- Keeping Cat Food Fresh
- Second-Hand Cat, First-Rate Pet
Pets | Cats: Microfiber: Miracle Fabric Cats Won't Scratch